Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Everton Summer Transfer Thread - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Holgate and Godfrey not good enough, Mina in last year of contract and Keane is average

The fact tarkowski is our only decent centre half and he has no protection from the midfield because Doucoure and Allan are jokes is a cause for concern

the fact we are not prioritising a centre half and a 6 is worrying

Why are we not utilising the loan market if we have limited funds

We have 50 mil from richarlison and two loans would cost a fraction of that
Loans usually don't become more prevalent until the end of the window when clubs make their standard deals, gauge the squad and then finally decide if a player wont be utilized and is surplus. I'm sure if we dont make any regular transfers we'll definitely scramble at the end of the window to complete a couple loans. If you get loan deal this early they're a misfit like Gomes or winks who the club is desperate to get rid of

Last edited:
Would be amazing to have a spine right through the team at some point of academy players. I genuinely think it’s the only way we can get back to the top, but it of course depends on them being good enough. Dobbin Simms Warrington Welch Mills Onyango Pryce, they all won’t make it but even if two or three could become first team players it would be a massive boost to the club.

The PL is a high bar mate, even getting one should be celebrated. But if we can develop lads and sell, them on it would be incredible to, look what City, Utd, and Mordor get for their younger players and we’re fishing in the same pool. Hopefully Kev can on that as part of a model.

Warrington is looking like he’s ready to make the step up to PL debut. If he can be a midfield option for 20 mins initially and he can fight for a shirt we’ve hit the jackpot. We take it from there. Young Mills impressed me to, looked at it, might be a while of yet though.

How incredible woukd it be if lads like Warrington could slot in and negate the need for the Gomes or JPG‘s of this world.

Be great to see and think Frank might have the cahonas for it, more so then former managers.
We need to see more from him. I'm not going to go overboard over one preseason appearance but I definitely want to see more of him in the next few games.

We need to see more from him. I'm not going to go overboard over one preseason appearance but I definitely want to see more of him in the next few games.

No one’s getting ahead of themselves mate, we’re all around the block to long for that, just saying he looks an option. Realistically if he makes the squad, then bench and gets mins, it’s a result, up to the lad from there.

Forest havent played in the league for so long, it's just a huge gap to climb. I see them as 20th.

Leeds manager is awful and they were lucky to survive. Without Phillip's they have been comfortable bottom 3 form. Throw in Raphina now out, and I think they are probably at 20 point ish. Theyve then signed a few players. So you are weighing up what those new players do. But as we both know, gelling lots of new players straight away is tough.

Brentford could be a surprise strugglers too. They strike me a bit like Leeds and Sheffield United. Rode a Crest of a way, but will come crashing down. Without Eriksen joining I think they go down. Probably after the first 10-15 games they are relegation form for me.

Of some of the others, Palace have lost Gallacher, and had the best injury record last season. Brighton have lost Bissouma, again what impact?

Wolves and Southampton fell away last season too. If you said to me, of all the teams above, do I think we will finish above each, I'd probably say yes. When you get to the Newcastles, Villas even West Ham, I start thinking I'm not sure. That's where I pitch us.

The biggest thing for us will be keeping players fit though. If Mina and DCL played 35 games, we would be in the top 8.

Mate we cant pass a football and we don't have richarlison, we ain't ever getting top 8 with the current group of players.

If you look at the stats when both play, often with awful midfields, we tend to do very well.

Like honestly, if you could give me a fit Mina and DCL, establishing a partnership with Tarkowski, I'd take that over a midfielder. I appreciate its v unlikely to happen, and that its completely hypothetical.

But yes, to answer your question, are midfield is awful. I'd be toying with the idea of shoving Godfrey in there, in the "chuck some mud and some might stick' theory.
In the same thread where he's been talking down other clubs' squads.

You can't knock it.

Would be amazing to have a spine right through the team at some point of academy players. I genuinely think it’s the only way we can get back to the top, but it of course depends on them being good enough. Dobbin Simms Warrington Welch Mills Onyango Pryce, they all won’t make it but even if two or three could become first team players it would be a massive boost to the club.

The PL is a high bar mate, even getting one should be celebrated. But if we can develop lads and sell, them on it would be incredible to, look what City, Utd, and Mordor get for their younger players and we’re fishing in the same pool. Hopefully Kev can on that as part of a model.

If we had 11 starters with 11 u21s/u23s high potential behind them in the squad then we'd be well placed.

Those young players dont need to come from the academy, look at Branthwaite signed for £750k rising to £1mil. Or Nkounkou for £250k...then a higher cost signing like Mykolenko or Patterson.

This summer a signing like Tarkowski makes perfect sense.

But in central midfield and in the forward positions we have enough 'experience' and need to go with young players.

Signings over the age of 23 unless for bargain fees or on loan make no sense at all.

Holgate and Godfrey not good enough, Mina in last year of contract and Keane is average

The fact tarkowski is our only decent centre half and he has no protection from the midfield because Doucoure and Allan are jokes is a cause for concern

the fact we are not prioritising a centre half and a 6 is worrying

Why are we not utilising the loan market if we have limited funds

We have 50 mil from richarlison and two loans would cost a fraction of that
Didn't Lamps say he wants a six last night? I do agree though it's a shambles we finished 16th and so far we have weakened ourselves in reality, Tarks helps the defence but losing Richy means we don't have the unpredictable now either...

As I said, I'm happy to defer judgement; but so far, there's not much to write home about. And I certainly don't get why so many people are creaming themselves silly just because we have a new face/name with DOF title.

Has much changed in six months? Is changing the academy setup to resemble most other clubs that amazing? One signing? Not for me. Granted it is tough to get the transfer wheels moving before Prem status is secured, but targets should have been identified long before then, not weeks after. "If we stay up, this is our likely budget, we move for X Y Z. If we go down, this is the plan".

Instead we're weeks away from the start of the season, and if you trust the stories in the media we're still somewhere between City's LB, Spurs backup CM, another Burnley player, or a lad from Wolves who was playing in the second division last season. Happy to cut him slack in the short term, but sooner or later there's got to be tangible results one way or the other.
I don't see many doing that. I just think it's worth pointing out how much he's having to try and sort out.

How could he change much when we didn't know what league we were going to be in?

You can't. There was no judging, no forecasting. That's why it was all so up in the air mate. And we're now suffering for past mistakes not made by this manager or DoF, but at least this DoF is trying to restructure things where he can.

If we had 11 starters with 11 u21s/u23s high potential behind them in the squad then we'd be well placed.

Those young players dont need to come from the academy, look at Branthwaite signed for £750k rising to £1mil. Or Nkounkou for £250k...then a higher cost signing like Mykolenko or Patterson.

This summer a signing like Tarkowski makes perfect sense.

But in central midfield and in the forward positions we have enough 'experience' and need to go with young players.

Signings over the age of 23 unless for bargain fees or on loan make no sense at all.
The problem is and I know you will disagree, but we arent even sure if the players you mentioned are good enough.

Thats the downside of buying younger players, im well aware of the upside.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back