Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Everton Summer Transfer Thread - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
While I do agree with you when it comes to how Everton played against Arsenal, I don't expect Everton to play the same way as you do.

Lampard had a pretty good first season with Chelsea, but they were never sound defensively. His second season they could not defend. Not at all. Tuchel came in and within weeks Chelsea had the best defence in Europe. With the same players. Of course Lampard studied what Chelsea did different under Tuchel. And he has all the insider info he needs from Joe Edwards that was Tuchel's assistant manager.

Lampard seemed to prefer 3CDs last season. He played with 3 at the back against Arsenal. As of now, we should not speculate in who's in Lampard's back four.

Also offensively against Arsenal Everton looked similar to Tuchel's Chelsea team. We didn't really play with wide forwards. Width were provided by wing-backs and the front players played so narrow that it seems mote accurate to say that we played with two number tens.

A 3421 formation should be a good fit for the current Everton squad. And with minor tweaks and changes in personell, it will also give tactical flexibility. Both between matches and during matches.

My main concern is where the goals are coming from next season. We should not expect more than 15 goals from a fit DCL. If Everton are great defensively we need 30 more goals from the rest of the team. Most likely we need mote than that. If we improve on set pieces, we can hope for 6-8 goals from our defenders. How the heck are we going to get +30 goals from the midfielders?

Gray, Iwobi and Gordon are players that will give you 4-6 goals a season. That is a concern. And probably why we are linked with players such as Cornet and Gibbs-White. That might not be the most flashy or exciting players, but are more of a goal threat.

Also a reason to try to do whatever we can do make Alli good. He is a proven goal scorer.

We can hope that Gordon can give us 10 goals a season and can outscore players like Cornet and Gibbs-White. But we should not expect it.

With five subs we could have a pool of players to play behind the striker. Expect a lot of running and pressing from them. Never need to play them more than 60 minutes per match.
I don't think Lampard wants to play 3 centre halves, he more or less said that on Saturday after the game.
At the end of last season he was more or less forced to do so because he realised he couldn't play Gomes, Davies was injured, Delph was always one stretch away from another injury and still only managed less than half a dozen games.
He had Allan and Doucore for those central positions and really no one else.

I am surprised that the focus seems to be on the signings of Cornet and MGW when it is centrally we are weakest.

Of course it makes sense? Firstly because of the 'if' that you put and the 'theoretically' that I did. It's not like we've signed prime Maldini, Tarkowski will hopefully be an improvement on what we had last year but let's not make out like it's an obviously huge upgrade. He's a freshly relegated, freebie centre half who has spent all his PL career playing in a conservative set up with virtually the same team around him and has less England caps than Michael Keane. I'm happy with the signing and feel like he'll do well, but it's far from a given.

Secondly, adding in a player who is individually better on paper does not necessarily mean you get better as a unit. There was a pretty common consensus that Pickford and Keane would make us better defensively when we signed them but we conceded 14 more goals in their first season than we did the season before. Basically Tarkowski could individually have a really good season, without us actually getting any better defensively.
Your original post made more sense than this mate.

If you dont think Tarlowski is an upgrade thats up to you.
We cant go thinking lets not sign a better player just in case it doesnt work out.
I'le stand by he is a Massive upgrade on Holgate , Keane ,Godfrey ,Coleman & an injury prone Mina.
Very much in the same way imo , Gibbs White would be an upgrade in our Centre mid.

Clubs ( apart from a very few that nuture their own ) sign better players to make them better.
Its a tried & trusted formula.

Your original post made more sense than this mate.

If you dont think Tarlowski is an upgrade thats up to you.
We cant go thinking lets not sign a better player just in case it doesnt work out.
I'le stand by he is a Massive upgrade on Holgate , Keane ,Godfrey ,Coleman & an injury prone Mina.
Very much in the same way imo , Gibbs White would be an upgrade in our Centre mid.

Clubs ( apart from a very few that nuture their own ) sign better players to make them better.
Its a tried & trusted formula.
I have no idea what you're talking about here? This has got literally nothing to do with what I was saying?

I'm saying that us being better defensively and us having a better centre half on the payroll are not the same thing. I honestly don't know how to make it clearer, it's just a really simple concept.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back