Everton Summer Transfer Thread - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hopefully not, would also go against us apparently wanting a powerful, box-to-box midfielder
Yes, I would prefer a powerful box-to-box midfielder, but Gilmour is a decent player and would help us with our passing (as ours is beyond awful), so if there's a deal to be done, we should look at it.

Of course, in an ideal world, we would shift Allan and Gomes and bring in Gana, Gilmour AND a box-to-box midfielder, but this is Everton.

We may have had a woeful season (we did) but when did changing half the squad in one window ever work?

Many made Doucoure man of the match in some games last season; we all fawned over Gomes like he was a God, pre-Son incident; they can be good, we just have to get it out of them. Gana will win a lot more ball than others have, so we need to use Doucoure's power and Gomes' skill to maximise the benefit.

But you'll all shoot it down, because you basically hate our players, no matter the circumstances. And yes, I do go to the game and I know how awful they have been in a dreadfully under-confident and under-performing squad.

Chelsea might be refusing to even discuss the possibility until after they play us.

They are being slated by their fans got their poor work in the window and lack of attacking options, so to then let a promising young forward go to a team you are about to play would not go down well. Their fans are not confident of coming to Goodison - they reckon it's always a nightmare. And if they let him come on a permanent deal, they cannot mandate that he doesn't play against them. Don't think they'd loan him out until they bring in another striker.
Makes a bit more sense, though at the prices discussed when he was potentially going to West Ham, I highly doubt perm is on the table at all.

Trying to give Kenny and Broadhead new deals are both a symptom of why Everton are in this position as well as a necessity, it’s like a self fulfilling cycle. Give crap players deals that they didn’t earn and spend unnecessary money on them, leading to giving crap players deals that they didn’t warn and spend unnecessary money on them.

This isn’t new either, we had the same thing with McAleny, Garbutt and Pennington. The club is absolutely petrified of letting players go for free despite the fact that none of these players will ever be worth anything at 23 or 24 and still playing for the reserves. This then leads to any potential money that we could get most of the time at best breaking even on the stupid contracts we give them.

These lads are probably on at least £10k-£20k a week if not more, that’s £1m a year for probably 2 or 3 years for a player that won’t ever even be worth £1m himself.

It’s baffling.

Interesting. It seems like based on this report that we might be after a different profile than a Gilmour/Winks type for the other midfielder. Which I’d be very surprised about. I would have thought Gueye would have fit the powerful profile and now we’d be after more of a holding type who can control a game.

Especially considering how Lampard used Kante at Chelsea, I’m not sure Gueye is the answer as the holding mid/number 6. Plus the presence of Doucoure. Not that we shouldn’t be upgrading on Doucoure, I’m just concerned that we don’t have a single player whose best fit is as a holding midfielder.

Maybe reading into this too much…the Athletic fellas are very reliable but don’t get very groundbreaking transfer scoops.

View attachment 175909
Yeah, I was surprised to read that but it could be just speculation. Physicality is never a bad thing but with Gueye in the priority should really be a midfielder who can pass the ball.

Trying to give Kenny and Broadhead new deals are both a symptom of why Everton are in this position as well as a necessity, it’s like a self fulfilling cycle. Give crap players deals that they didn’t earn and spend unnecessary money on them, leading to giving crap players deals that they didn’t warn and spend unnecessary money on them.

This isn’t new either, we had the same thing with McAleny, Garbutt and Pennington. The club is absolutely petrified of letting players go for free despite the fact that none of these players will ever be worth anything at 23 or 24 and still playing for the reserves. This then leads to any potential money that we could get most of the time at best breaking even on the stupid contracts we give them.

These lads are probably on at least £10k-£20k a week if not more, that’s £1m a year for probably 2 or 3 years for a player that won’t ever even be worth £1m himself.

It’s baffling.
Why don’t the club just sell him. He is 24.

We may have had a woeful season (we did) but when did changing half the squad in one window ever work?

Many made Doucoure man of the match in some games last season; we all fawned over Gomes like he was a God, pre-Son incident; they can be good, we just have to get it out of them. Gana will win a lot more ball than others have, so we need to use Doucoure's power and Gomes' skill to maximise the benefit.

But you'll all shoot it down, because you basically hate our players, no matter the circumstances. And yes, I do go to the game and I know how awful they have been in a dreadfully under-confident and under-performing squad.

Absolutely NO. Gomes was inconsistent long before the Son incident and it’s absolutely impossible that he plays another game in the Prem. Absolutely not a viable option.

Status
Not open for further replies.