Everton Summer Transfer Thread - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not a back 3 fan really, but I watched us get rinsed playing a back 4 against an MLS side. I think we are bad at every system because our players are bad.
The season before last we finished 10th with a large majority of these players playing 4 at the back, defensively good aswell....

I`ve been a football manager and if I know I`ve not got a striker I don`t play a system with less midfielders. Against Villa Dele came on in the 10 with Davies and Onana behind, with Onana breaking out. It caused Chaos...

Again looking at stats, playing 5 at the back we have scored no goals, and we dont look like scoring, moving to the 4-2-3-1 we did get a goal albeit an OG but looked like scoring many more. Both games this season I have felt we need an extra central midfield player because everyone plays with 3 in there these days.

We aren't going to agree here. We conceded a goal almost immediately after going to a back 4 because of poor 1 v 1 defending when Holgate was exposed on a transition.

Our forward options don't become better playing 433 or 442. We don't suddenly carry threat.

I also hate 4231. Every manager we had played it and it never worked. It produced some of the most dire football I've ever seen.

In a hypothetical world, imagine we had the money last summer to buy Diaz (without the FSW as our manager) instead of offering literally nothing. Could have been a game changer for us. That's what the Gordon money can do. Completely change what and who we can go for.
I just don't think there's any way this deal would have happened given the teams that were tracking him

We aren't going to agree here. We conceded a goal almost immediately after going to a back 4 because of poor 1 v 1 defending when Holgate was exposed on a transition.

Our forward options don't become better playing 433 or 442. We don't suddenly carry threat.

I also hate 4231. Every manager we had played it and it never worked. It produced some of the most dire football I've ever seen.
I hate 4-2-3-1 as well but every manager did it wrong bar Martinez season 1. The 2 have to be absolute units who break up everything and then, in theory, you can overload their defence on the break. McCarthy and Barry were perfect in that spot. Then McCarthy was crocked and Barry lost what little legs he had and we never really fixed it.

The issue with the system is we don't have a back four good enough without protection if we get that we may see 433 more
City play a 4-1-4-1 which becomes a 4-3-3 which worked perfectly well for us in the Moyes days... The holding midfield player is important and doesn`t press, imagine the scenario for Villa goal on Saturday had that been a natural 6 instead of Doucoure he doesn`t press and shields the back line.

I just don't think there's any way this deal would have happened given the teams that were tracking him
But nobody did until January. I mean, you can have as many teams as you want 'tracking' a lad but if nobody is willing to stump up the money asked for then they would have taken the offer on the table. Never know what can happen by holding out.

City play a 4-1-4-1 which becomes a 4-3-3 which worked perfectly well for us in the Moyes days... The holding midfield player is important and doesn`t press, imagine the scenario for Villa goal on Saturday had that been a natural 6 instead of Doucoure he doesn`t press and shields the back line.

This is why the Garner deal looks ideal compared to the Gana deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.