Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Everton Summer Transfer Thread - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
…I’m talking about a strategy, not something for the short-term but I still think there are diamonds out there even for this season.

I’d make use of Mina as I think he’s probably done as a footballer. Send him to South America to scout and get the Everton name out there.

Yes. I agree. He's hungry.

TBF, he did well enough against Leicester in the cup, although Leicester were a bit ropey last season. Has a free kick in him too, which helps.
For a 20yo lad to go into the championship and become the fulcrum for their team setting the tempo etc, job at think it's impressive.

Funnily enough he comes from an absolutely massive red family - but went the united academy and now would move to us. Shows he's got his career as the priority over other rubbish.

Reading up that he was aside from normal training prior to last season doing individual training sessions with Carrick to work on 'quickening up his decisions (taking in the half turn etc and his long range shooting')

Guy reminds me not a little bit of Barry, funnily enough a lot didn't see what he did until he played for us either same with Carrick st united tbh too.

Bang out of order.

Anyone is free to have an initial opinion on any transfer - there is no sense at all in demanding unconditional support for every transfer made. Such blind obedience would verge on cultish behaviour.

I agree with @Gerbs on this particular transfer. It seems wasteful to me to spend £12m+ of our limited funds on a striker who is older, less effective and less of a fit for our system than our current staring striker: all the more so when Dominic Calvert-Lewin has current injury issues and a looming contract situation to deal with before next summer.

Additionally it's entirely valid to look at a transfer individually and form an opinion on it, but that doesn't mean a different opinion won't arise when the transfer is viewed in a wider context (such as alongside other transfers in the same window).

Do I hope Maupay thrives here? Definitely.

Does analysis of his career to date SUGGEST he will thrive here? No.

Given the choice of spending £12m+ on Maupay, £17m+ on BB Diaz or £25m+ on Che Adams (with our budget and current squad) I would prefer Diaz. But at least Maupay is a wiser choice than Adams I suppose.

The bigger issue arises from looking at transfers in combination. If we have £20m to buy McNeil and £12m to buy Maupay, I would have preferred to see us add another £3m or £4m to the kitty and buy Terrier from Rennes. Maybe we tried, maybe not. Who knows?

Hard to get excited about Maupay. I fear he'll underwhelm until Dominic Calvert-Lewin comes back, then just sit on the bench where he'll get 25 minutes every so often instead of Rondon.

Hope I'm wrong, and he slots 14 in all competitions this season for us... But did ANYONE honestly look at Brighton last year and envy them for having Neal Maupay in their squad?

TLDR

Anyone know what number Maupay will wear?

For a 20yo lad to go into the championship and become the fulcrum for their team setting the tempo etc, job at think it's impressive.

Funnily enough he comes from an absolutely massive red family - but went the united academy and now would move to us. Shows he's got his career as the priority over other rubbish.

Reading up that he was aside from normal training prior to last season doing individual training sessions with Carrick to work on 'quickening up his decisions (taking in the half turn etc and his long range shooting')

Guy reminds me not a little bit of Barry, funnily enough a lot didn't see what he did until he played for us either same with Carrick st united tbh too.
Yeah, I'm warming to him tbh.

We need professional attitude, and bringing down the team average age is good too.

I wish I'd taken more notice of this lad last season.

That's possibly because most of the top teams don't really play with an out an out striker these days. They go with adaptable forwards who can interchange and can score around 10 goals (or more) a season rather than just rely on one 20 goal a season a man. We are still at the stage of thinking that banging crosses into a big man up front is going to get us places, that tactic died out the game years ago.
We've gone from 'we're going down because we don't have a striker' to 'no one plays with strikers anymore'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back