Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Everton Summer Transfer Thread - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Garner was very good for Forest in their push for promotion from the Championship and is good with dead ball situations but whether he would cut it in the Premier League is another matter. He is young and could develop into a really solid player and even if not spectacular, I think it is relatively low risk considering his age and potential sell on if he develops well. I think it is worth a punt in our situation, but if we had more to spend I would want more proven players than him in ideally. but where we are kind of dictates some low risk (potential large reward) gambles such as this and I would not be unhappy to see this one.
He's the type of player I'd always argue for: young English players from the Championship who have done well there and are hungry.

But I have to say the only games I watched him play were three cup games last season and he wasn't making a big impression. He was involved a lot but not really excelling at what he was trying to do. That said, they were against PL clubs and no easy games to dictate in.

Must admit I’ve never seen Garner kick a ball, but is he a similar profile of player o Warrington? If so I’d rather we developed our own but if he’s a class above then fair enough. We’re also very short in the holding midfield position of players who can dictate from there in a midfield three.
I'd say similar profile but Garner having had two very good loan spells at Forest is miles ahead in development, I'd hope we buy Garner at the price being bandied about and get Warrington out on a good loan to a suitable championship team where he'll play.

Garner is more a DM distributer from the stuff I've seen not a breaker and read Warrington looks a bit more combative - buying Garner, Warrington loaned and developing would be the ideal long term solution,

I'm not debating the quality available from either France/Belgium on an individual basis.

It's the trajectory of the players career at his age that would be a concern. Given the relative strength of the two leagues, we should be looking at starters for Rennes (like Terrier, but they ship has sailed), not players sitting on their bench every week.

What we should be doing, what we want to be doing and what we are doing are all very different unfortunately. I think our current MO of pragmatism, whilst not widely popular, is possibly the best approach.

I don’t think it would be the same level it used to be at all.
I do, we could have say Allan on the bench and not get used for a month but then be called upon because of injuries or suspensions. They won’t be upto speed, they need to be playing competitive football regular to be called upon in the PL and be expected to perform from the off.

And do you think signing a 18 year old straight from Brazil and asking them to play up front on their own would be the best way for us to avoid relegation this year? If the answer is no then they aren’t very good examples, if the answer is yes then you’re probably in a minority of one.

…I’m talking about a strategy, not something for the short-term but I still think there are diamonds out there even for this season.

…I’m talking about a strategy, not something for the short-term but I still think there are diamonds out there even for this season.
But you’re replying to a post where I’m talking specifically talking about our requirements for this season?

As I said, of course we need to get better at identifying players, that’s just a given that literally everyone agrees with. The point was that we’re in trouble this season and we need functional options to try and keep us up. We don’t have a time machine to go back 5 years and put ourselves in a position to be using players and/or scouting networks that we don’t have, so in the real world picking up a player who can do a reliable job for us and doesn’t cost a lot in relative terms is a decent move.

…absolutely, which could also get around work permit issue.

it’s about being innovative and pro-active.
We tried for Reiner jesus highly rated Brazilian who went to Madrid then loaned to Dortmund and now on loan at girona but agree there are gems there ,
And if I remember we were linked with a couple of Argentinians a couple of years ago

Must admit I’ve never seen Garner kick a ball, but is he a similar profile of player o Warrington? If so I’d rather we developed our own but if he’s a class above then fair enough. We’re also very short in the holding midfield position of players who can dictate from there in a midfield three.

Never seen Garner play but I read some posts on a Forest forum. They all seem to rate him as a defensive midfielder who can pass well. He's good at set pieces too.

He's the type of player I'd always argue for: young English players from the Championship who have done well there and are hungry.

But I have to say the only games I watched him play were three cup games last season and he wasn't making a big impression. He was involved a lot but not really excelling at what he was trying to do. That said, they were against PL clubs and no easy games to dictate in.

I like the fact last season he pushed to get his loan and this one he's pushing to leave permanently rather than accept being loaned out again, shows he has a greater desire to be playing rather than have Man Utd player on his social media bios.

Thsts the kind of player I like to get from the likes of United etc, the lads who wanna play over other factors.

Morning all, here’s a summary of this mornings trawl through the net. A good day to all!

Everton have been linked with Idrissa Gueye over the past few weeks. However, talks between the Toffees and Paris Saint-Germain reportedly stalled, putting a move in jeopardy. This is according to French outlet L’Equipe, via Sport Witness.

They claim that, following a ‘long period of stalemate’ between Everton and PSG, negotiations have now resumed. L’Equipe has reported that talks are ‘moving in the right direction’ after some ups and downs during weeks of talk.

Neal Maupay has explained how signing for Everton was an "easy choice" after completing his move from Brighton & Hove Albion.

Maupay, 26, has joined the Toffees after spending the summer being linked with a transfer away from the Seagulls. Nottingham Forest were said to have the striker on their radar throughout the summer, with Fulham also reportedly keen.

Frank Lampard reveals ‘red line’ for departure of Everton winger Anthony Gordon

Frank Lampard has stated that there is a “red line” for Chelsea to make a move and sign Everton winger Anthony Gordon.

Lampard, while talking to the media on Friday ahead of Everton’s trip to Brentford, stated that the club’s hierarchy has drawn a “red line” for the departure of Gordon and that it is very close.

Everton block Manchester United's move for Asmir Begovic. Everton have blocked Manchester United’s move for Asmir Begovic, as per TalkSport. Alex Crook wrote for TalkSport on 26 August that the Toffees do not want to sell the 35-year-old this summer, after they failed in their attempt to find a solid replacement.

Conor Gallagher wants assurances from Chelsea. Everton and West Ham are still in the hunt to sign Conor Gallagher from Chelsea, as per TalkSPORT.

Alex Crook wrote for TalkSPORT on 26 August that Gallagher has informed the Blues that he wants assurances over game time this season.

According to The Evening Standard, Everton are keen on a move for Bournemouth’s Jaidon Anthony as he enters the final year of his contract.

Anthony has had something of a meteoric rise over the past 18 months. Back in 2020, he was playing non-league football with Weymouth in the National League South, and he didn’t stand out too much there, scoring just one goal in five appearances in the sixth-tier of English football.

Frank Lampard warns Dele Alli to find his focus during loan move to Besiktas or continue to see his career continue to spiral downwards

'I do have great empathy for the trajectory of his career in a sense because it is clear to see. I don't have to dress that up in any way.' Lampard stated.

'Having worked closely with him for a period I have to say he really does need to understand the relation of training and focus to what that means to performance at the highest level.

'It's not just the Dele story, I would say that to any player because it's the only thing I know.

'I wasn't a saint, but I know what training can do and focus can do, and that's something he really has to take on board.

'If he can, it can be not just a great thing for him but for the team-mates around him in the squad. He's at that point. That is the test for him now.'

Nottingham Forest are a team in the market to bring in new talent and Everton defender Michael Keane is at the top of their wish list.

Keane is a talented player but he is costing the club around £65,000 per week in wages. Nottingham Forest have inquired about bringing Keane to their club on loan according to Football Insider. The move would benefit both clubs since Forest need defensive reinforcement and Everton need to cut back on their payroll.

Journalist Tony Scott recently shared his concerns over the possible transfer of Ben Brereton Diaz to Everton on the All Together Now podcast.

He said on the All Together Now podcast, “[Ben] Brereton Diaz could be anything. He’s ripped it up in the championship. He come up to the Premier League, he could be left found wanting. He may not score a goal. You just don’t know. It’s a big, big gamble. Big, big gamble that one”.

David Ornstein has been speaking on the FIVE YouTube channel about how Everton’s financial situation is relatively healthy and means they don’t have to sell Anthony Gordon.

“Everton sold Richarlison already in this transfer window, which means that their financial difficulties have been eased somewhat and the suggestion from Goodison Park is that financially they don’t have to sell him. If they are going to sell him at this late stage in the window, they would need a replacement.”

Karveh Solhekol: James Garner and Ben Brereton-Diaz could now follow Neal Maupay through door at Everton. Speaking live on Sky Sports during their club-by-club round, as shared on their blog, Solhekol shared what to expect next at Goodison Park.

He believes Everton will definitely do more business and this could “Include James Garner and Ben Brereton-Diaz.”

Brighton head coach Graham Potter has claimed the sale of Neal Maupay to Everton represents a suitable deal 'for all parties' following the exit of the French forward.

“Neal is keen to play more regular football than we have been able to offer, and Everton are able to give him that opportunity. We could fully understand his position, and the deal represents a good one for all parties involved," he told Brighton's official club website.

Great work Bob, some really interesting comments from Lampard about Dele

I like the fact last season he pushed to get his loan and this one he's pushing to leave permanently rather than accept being loaned out again, shows he has a greater desire to be playing rather than have Man Utd player on his social media bios.

Thsts the kind of player I like to get from the likes of United etc, the lads who wanna play over other factors.
Yes. I agree. He's hungry.

TBF, he did well enough against Leicester in the cup, although Leicester were a bit ropey last season. Has a free kick in him too, which helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back