Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Everton Summer Transfer Thread - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
…I tend to look at the CV of players we’re linked with & the number that started careers in the likes of the Senegal & Ghana leagues is amazing. I’m sure clubs like Ajax are hoovering up but we need to get involved at source in the African and South/North American leagues.
Apparently we can't afford to do this , we need Premier league
" solid signings" to ensure we stay up which has served us so well thus far.

….I don’t get that you have to pay £40m for a top striker. The high-profile ones do cost lots but the challenge is identifying these players early in their career.

i appreciate its very difficult but other clubs have a reputation for discovering talent & we need to join that company. its a big world, those players are out there.
I agree with the idea that we need to get better at scouting, it’s not exactly a novel idea is it? We’ve all been saying it for years.

Which clubs like us would you say have a reputation for unearthing cheap strikers who go on to be top class? I can’t think of any personally.

In my opinion we still need at least one more attacking signing but we needed options and we needed someone with a reliable record at this level. Maupay isn’t the most exciting signing in the world but he’s an affordable option who we know is capable of doing a job at this level. It’s very strange that fans of a club in our position feel they can turn their noses up at that.

…I tend to look at the CV of players we’re linked with & the number that started careers in the likes of the Senegal & Ghana leagues is amazing. I’m sure clubs like Ajax are hoovering up but we need to get involved at source in the African and South/North American leagues.
Agree mate, but we love a bit of PL experience at this club. It's such a small market though and an expensive one, you don't get value for money in the PL.

Are Brugge in the Champions League ? But it's a very inferior league to make a move to from Ligue 1 which is vastly inferior to our league, supposedly.
I'm not debating the quality available from either France/Belgium on an individual basis.

It's the trajectory of the players career at his age that would be a concern. Given the relative strength of the two leagues, we should be looking at starters for Rennes (like Terrier, but they ship has sailed), not players sitting on their bench every week.

I agree with the idea that we need to get better at scouting, it’s not exactly a novel idea is it? We’ve all been saying it for years.

Which clubs like us would you say have a reputation for unearthing cheap strikers who go on to be top class? I can’t think of any personally.

In my opinion we still need at least one more attacking signing but we needed options and we needed someone with a reliable record at this level. Maupay isn’t the most exciting signing in the world but he’s an affordable option who we know is capable of doing a job at this level. It’s very strange that fans of a club in our position feel they can turn their noses up at that.

…others will be better qualified than me to nominate clubs, but Watford have unearthed the likes of Richarlison and Pedro from Brazil.

Don’t think any players ever come directly into England from Africa, not that I can think of. I’ve always assumed it was a work permit thing.

That's possibly because most of the top teams don't really play with an out an out striker these days. They go with adaptable forwards who can interchange and can score around 10 goals (or more) a season rather than just rely on one 20 goal a season a man. We are still at the stage of thinking that banging crosses into a big man up front is going to get us places, that tactic died out the game years ago.

It’s too difficult for us to do that though as all we can do is shove them in a weak U21’s league. We really, really would benefit from creating a link with a foreign club we can farm them out too like a few in the PL do.

It’s too difficult for us to do that though as all we can do is shove them in a weak U21’s league. We really, really would benefit from creating a link with a foreign club we can farm them out too like a few in the PL do.

…absolutely, which could also get around work permit issue.

it’s about being innovative and pro-active.

…others will be better qualified than me to nominate clubs, but Watford have unearthed the likes of Richarlison and Pedro from Brazil.
And do you think signing a 18 year old straight from Brazil and asking them to play up front on their own would be the best way for us to avoid relegation this year? If the answer is no then they aren’t very good examples, if the answer is yes then you’re probably in a minority of one.

Francophone African players or those from migrant communities in France and Belgium tend to predominate scouting for clubs there. It's a natural link. In the same way with North African players.

We need to develop a more formalised and structured scouting operation but to be fair to Thelwell, he seems to have identified that need. Put the structure in place and it will deliver in time.

The goal surely has to be to identify and sign the likes of Onana before we have to pay tens of millions for them. Loan them out till good enough, and incur little loss if not. Just one player that can make it every two years would be a success.

I can appreciate more pressing and practical concerns took over this summer, but it's most definitely something we need to get much better at. It must be part of a strategy to level the playing field when we cannot compete financially.

Last edited:
I can see the argument for that. Leeds were in the same position and employed the opposite strategy. Will be interesting to see who finishes on top
I think they have a better chance as they did their business a lot quicker than us. We’ll be at least 4 games in and still won’t have the finished squad, whereas they are? They may not be, but I haven’t kept up with they transfers

Bring back reserve team football especially now it’s more about squad rotation, keeps squad players match fit also it’s a smaller stepping stone for any youth coming through.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back