Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Everton Summer Transfer Thread - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t know the wages specifically of each player coming in. I’d imagine Tarkowski and Onana might be on a decent wedge, but I doubt that Vinagre Coady McNeill Maupay are anywhere near the types of contracts we were handing out to Siggurdson Tosun Digne Delph Richarlison James etc. If we can get Gomes and Mina off the books it brings us back into a decent position compared to the one we used to be in where 100k a week five year deal was the going rate for any new signing.
Maupay was refusing to sign a new contract with Brighton. We have to at least acknowledge the possibility that, given his age, his agent was pushing for a big (biggish) wage. I'll be surprised if he's on less than £70k now.

The point is that we've just paid £12m+ to upgrade on Rondon. But Rondon is still here, so we've paid £12m to add another player to the payroll who may only play when Dominic Calvert-Lewin is injured, unavailable or needs a rest.

We aren't in the healthy financial situation that grants the freedom to pay £12m+ to upgrade the subs bench. That money should have been used to put towards a striker who would genuinely compete with Dominic Calvert-Lewin for the starting spot: Dembele, Watkins, Terrier, someone like that.

He hasn't been bought to replace Dominic Calvert-Lewin, I agree. He's clearly not good enough.

My point is that we SHOULD have bought someone who at least has the potential to replace Dominic Calvert-Lewin, because Dominic Calvert-Lewin may well be off in ten months.
And if Dom goes in 12 months we will replace him with the funds at that stage.
There is no chance of us spending big on a like for like for him at this stage unless his injury is more serious than we are aware.
We need to replace Richy, and even though Maupay imo is nowhere near that standard it will be his hard work and goal return that we have looked at and thought Maupay at a decent fee goes somewhat towards that.
We definitely need more in attack wise, and it will all depend on AG going the level of quality we can afford.
But just so im clear with what youre saying, you think we should have spent big on a replacement for DCL while he is still here, on the off-chance that he's injured most of the season and will leave next summer.. rather than try and replace other areas where we are definitely light ie Richarlison??

Well if Dominic Calvert-Lewin is fit, why wouldn't Maupay be rotational? He's costing us like £15m not £35m.
Do you think the finances are healthy enough to do things like signing a backup forward for £12m+ and keep a second backup forward like Rondon sitting on the bench alongside him?

I don't.

I guess we'll find out.

Morning all, here’s a summary of this mornings trawl through the net. A good day to all!

Everton have been linked with Idrissa Gueye over the past few weeks. However, talks between the Toffees and Paris Saint-Germain reportedly stalled, putting a move in jeopardy. This is according to French outlet L’Equipe, via Sport Witness.

They claim that, following a ‘long period of stalemate’ between Everton and PSG, negotiations have now resumed. L’Equipe has reported that talks are ‘moving in the right direction’ after some ups and downs during weeks of talk.

Neal Maupay has explained how signing for Everton was an "easy choice" after completing his move from Brighton & Hove Albion.

Maupay, 26, has joined the Toffees after spending the summer being linked with a transfer away from the Seagulls. Nottingham Forest were said to have the striker on their radar throughout the summer, with Fulham also reportedly keen.

Frank Lampard reveals ‘red line’ for departure of Everton winger Anthony Gordon

Frank Lampard has stated that there is a “red line” for Chelsea to make a move and sign Everton winger Anthony Gordon.

Lampard, while talking to the media on Friday ahead of Everton’s trip to Brentford, stated that the club’s hierarchy has drawn a “red line” for the departure of Gordon and that it is very close.

Everton block Manchester United's move for Asmir Begovic. Everton have blocked Manchester United’s move for Asmir Begovic, as per TalkSport. Alex Crook wrote for TalkSport on 26 August that the Toffees do not want to sell the 35-year-old this summer, after they failed in their attempt to find a solid replacement.

Conor Gallagher wants assurances from Chelsea. Everton and West Ham are still in the hunt to sign Conor Gallagher from Chelsea, as per TalkSPORT.

Alex Crook wrote for TalkSPORT on 26 August that Gallagher has informed the Blues that he wants assurances over game time this season.

According to The Evening Standard, Everton are keen on a move for Bournemouth’s Jaidon Anthony as he enters the final year of his contract.

Anthony has had something of a meteoric rise over the past 18 months. Back in 2020, he was playing non-league football with Weymouth in the National League South, and he didn’t stand out too much there, scoring just one goal in five appearances in the sixth-tier of English football.

Frank Lampard warns Dele Alli to find his focus during loan move to Besiktas or continue to see his career continue to spiral downwards

'I do have great empathy for the trajectory of his career in a sense because it is clear to see. I don't have to dress that up in any way.' Lampard stated.

'Having worked closely with him for a period I have to say he really does need to understand the relation of training and focus to what that means to performance at the highest level.

'It's not just the Dele story, I would say that to any player because it's the only thing I know.

'I wasn't a saint, but I know what training can do and focus can do, and that's something he really has to take on board.

'If he can, it can be not just a great thing for him but for the team-mates around him in the squad. He's at that point. That is the test for him now.'

Nottingham Forest are a team in the market to bring in new talent and Everton defender Michael Keane is at the top of their wish list.

Keane is a talented player but he is costing the club around £65,000 per week in wages. Nottingham Forest have inquired about bringing Keane to their club on loan according to Football Insider. The move would benefit both clubs since Forest need defensive reinforcement and Everton need to cut back on their payroll.

Journalist Tony Scott recently shared his concerns over the possible transfer of Ben Brereton Diaz to Everton on the All Together Now podcast.

He said on the All Together Now podcast, “[Ben] Brereton Diaz could be anything. He’s ripped it up in the championship. He come up to the Premier League, he could be left found wanting. He may not score a goal. You just don’t know. It’s a big, big gamble. Big, big gamble that one”.

David Ornstein has been speaking on the FIVE YouTube channel about how Everton’s financial situation is relatively healthy and means they don’t have to sell Anthony Gordon.

“Everton sold Richarlison already in this transfer window, which means that their financial difficulties have been eased somewhat and the suggestion from Goodison Park is that financially they don’t have to sell him. If they are going to sell him at this late stage in the window, they would need a replacement.”

Karveh Solhekol: James Garner and Ben Brereton-Diaz could now follow Neal Maupay through door at Everton. Speaking live on Sky Sports during their club-by-club round, as shared on their blog, Solhekol shared what to expect next at Goodison Park.

He believes Everton will definitely do more business and this could “Include James Garner and Ben Brereton-Diaz.”

Brighton head coach Graham Potter has claimed the sale of Neal Maupay to Everton represents a suitable deal 'for all parties' following the exit of the French forward.

“Neal is keen to play more regular football than we have been able to offer, and Everton are able to give him that opportunity. We could fully understand his position, and the deal represents a good one for all parties involved," he told Brighton's official club website.

I see what you mean, but we were very close to going down last season.

What we need IS tried and tested, this summer was never the window to be risky and sign players who may take 12 months to adapt- by that point we could be down

I can see the argument for that. Leeds were in the same position and employed the opposite strategy. Will be interesting to see who finishes on top

Maupay was refusing to sign a new contract with Brighton. We have to at least acknowledge the possibility that, given his age, his agent was pushing for a big (biggish) wage. I'll be surprised if he's on less than £70k now.

It’s still less than what we had Walcott and Tosun on. I’d be amazed if the overall squad wage bill is going up compared to what it was at its peak.

Must admit I’ve never seen Garner kick a ball, but is he a similar profile of player o Warrington? If so I’d rather we developed our own but if he’s a class above then fair enough. We’re also very short in the holding midfield position of players who can dictate from there in a midfield three.

Do you think the finances are healthy enough to do things like signing a backup forward for £12m+ and keep a second backup forward like Rondon sitting on the bench alongside him?

I don't.

I guess we'll find out.
Why not? Nowasdays, 12 or 15M isn't much money. If Lampard wants to change his tactics in match, a second striker or rotate with DCL is very important.
The most important we have to put competition in CF position. If we still rely on DCL, I think we will be regulated this time.
And Rondon, he will come to his final year contract. He will probably move on in next or next next transfer window.

Do you think that our new signing, Maupay, might improve you as a supporter - even as a person?

I remember one time in school noone wanted to pick Billy Shields for the footy, always the last pick etc. One day I picked him and in a moment of clarity gave him a brotherly pep talk, even though he was about a foot taller than the rest of us, and he went one and literally flattened everyone. It was glorious. There was a power inside him that just needed releasing, and from that day on he was the first pick on everyones team.

I for one feel better already as a result of our new mans arrival.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back