Everton Summer Transfer Thread - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wouldn’t it be wonderful to see a centre mid who can get it in and out of his feet with two touches, a bit of vision, someone who can dictate the play and tempo of the game.
Every centre midfielder we have aren’t good enough and are all so defensive minded it infuriates me, absolutely inept at going forward.
Billy Gilmour fits that criteria , although he’d only be second in my list of people we should be trying to get from Chelsea. Number one would be Anthony Barry, I know we’ve tried before but his skill in improving our set pieces would be the equivalent of getting another centre back.

I would like us to

I worry a bit about buying ‘backs to the wall’ type defenders, they often look heroic but are of limited general ability.

We can’t hold a high line and our midfield looks so exposed without the ball. We tend not to pass it either which means the midfield gets starved of possession.

The better teams have defenders that push up and this closes the space the midfield has to cover, they pass it when appropriate too so their midfield can get a foothold.

The problems of our midfield are because we have very basic defenders who haven’t much football in them.

I think it is THE priority to address this.

City conceded the least amount of goals from set pieces, only 1 I think, you don’t need grocks to defend set pieces, you need conviction and good timing, they get that from confidence.

Here's the thing though mate, Jagielka for me was a backs to the wall defender

Goals conceded on set pieces is a wierd stat too, as an example, when we play man city I'm guessing the set pieces faced stat will be ridiculously in cities favour, something like 10/15 to 1 ratio so you'd expect over the course of a season that to be reflected in the stats. Plus things like set pieces, the more you have in a game the better the delivery starts to get. Again face one or two corners per game it's highly unlikely you're conceding.

I think you’re in a small minority who feels that way about Pickford. And if Spurs fans are hesitant given that he’s been good to excellent for a year and a half while they’ve had Lloris quite regularly stinking the gaff out, then more fool them. Hopefully they stay well away.

As for Tarkowski, would you have an issue with him coming in for £6m and earning £50k p/w? Because it’s exactly the same. He’d be our best (reliably available) centre back by some distance.

He’s definitely not an exciting signing, but he’d be a smart one imho.
Yes I would, and there a whole world of footballers who would be better than our CB’s

Here's the thing though mate, Jagielka for me was a backs to the wall defender

Goals conceded on set pieces is a wierd stat too, as an example, when we play man city I'm guessing the set pieces faced stat will be ridiculously in cities favour, something like 10/15 to 1 ratio so you'd expect over the course of a season that to be reflected in the stats. Plus things like set pieces, the more you have in a game the better the delivery starts to get. Again face one or two corners per game it's highly unlikely you're conceding.
The reason City don’t give much away is precisely because their defenders can push up and play, by doing this they squeeze the opposition midfield, net result, they dominate the ball.

If City had backs to the wall defenders, then they wouldn’t dominate.

Hate to say it but Liverpool are the same, they look like they have an extra man all over the field because their defenders are not dormant 30 yards from their own goal.

We’re almost Burnley as it is.

Last edited:
Without arguing that basically every other manager who could enter that conversation had a plan they stuck to. Is it maybe a reasonable concern that Frank doesn't seem to?
It has to do with personnel, we don't have the luxury of being able to play expansive football with our current crop of players. Also, a manager not changing formation does not indicate tactical rigidity, that's lunacy. Pep and Klopp have both drastically changed from the managers they were at the start, as will Frank.

Status
Not open for further replies.