Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Everton Summer Transfer Thread - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s all about squad improvement against budget.

I’d hope that most of our resources are going to players down the spine of the team. CB, CM, CF (if one leaves). If we can spend big on improving those positions then great.

We may need some sticking plasters in other positions. I’d love that to be good academy players and hopefully Dobbin is in the shakeup somewhere but even with him considered we still probably need a new wide player. Great if we can find one better than Gordon and Gray within our budget but Almiron is a hard worker, very fast, and knows the prem. He’d be a useful injury foil and tactical option in some games as long as the money and wages are right.
He’s crap though. Signing crap players on decent wages at his sort of age just has absolutely no upsides at all.

CB: Colwill
DM: Ampadu
DM: Gilmour
CM: Gallagher
CF: Broja

How much for the lot?

Interesting to see us linked with Ramires (21) from Bahia and Ederson (22) from Salernitana.

Both former Brazil u20 midfield players, both dont have very good youtube videos.
We need good youtube highlight videos! How else will we know if we have the next big greats on our hands???

I have accepted that we are not going to win the league in my life time, I have almost come to terms that we may never win a cup in my life time , so what does that leave me with? It leaves me wanting to actually watch us and try to play football and try to score . Sam team didn’t have a shot at goal for 3-4 games and it was literally worse than watching paint dry.
we had shots at goal, we just didn't hit the target in 3 of those games

i mean we had niasse, sandro and tosun up front in some games.

I have accepted that we are not going to win the league in my life time, I have almost come to terms that we may never win a cup in my life time , so what does that leave me with? It leaves me wanting to actually watch us and try to play football and try to score . Sam team didn’t have a shot at goal for 3-4 games and it was literally worse than watching paint dry.
The singular most tedious game I have ever witnessed at Goodison was between Allardyce’s Everton v Benitez’ Barcodes. I was comatose by the time Walcott scored .

He’s crap though. Signing crap players on decent wages at his sort of age just has absolutely no upsides at all.

I don’t think he’s crap, he reminds me of Lennon, not much end product but good defensively at shutting a flank down or pinning a full back in place, useful option on the counter to come on as a sub, can provide some useful tactical options in certain games . I’m not talking about the first name on the team sheet here.

We have to have someone. In an ideal world we go out and sign a very good wide player. Next best option is we promote a youth team player. Third best option is we buy a squad player and the worst option is we have a gap.

Now Gordon and Gray will probably be our only two out and out wingers in the squad next season. If we don’t have the money for option1 (because it’s been spent elsewhere) and option 2 has been exhausted (Gordon already starting, Dobbin covering one flank already) then you are into option 3 or 4. We might not want to be there but if we do end up there then I think there’s worse players than Almiron for plugging a gap at a reasonable rate. I’m not saying it’s ideal at all, I’d rather us go out and spend some money on a player who can push Gordon and Gray but will we have the budget for that? Let’s hope so.

I don’t think he’s crap, he reminds me of Lennon, not much end product but good defensively at shutting a flank down or pinning a full back in place, useful option on the counter to come on as a sub, can provide some useful tactical options in certain games . I’m not talking about the first name on the team sheet here.

We have to have someone. In an ideal world we go out and sign a very good wide player. Next best option is we promote a youth team player. Third best option is we buy a squad player and the worst option is we have a gap.

Now Gordon and Gray will probably be our only two out and out wingers in the squad next season. If we don’t have the money for option1 (because it’s been spent elsewhere) and option 2 has been exhausted (Gordon already starting, Dobbin covering one flank already) then you are into option 3 or 4. We might not want to be there but if we do end up there then I think there’s worse players than Almiron for plugging a gap at a reasonable rate. I’m not saying it’s ideal at all, I’d rather us go out and spend some money on a player who can push Gordon and Gray but will we have the budget for that? Let’s hope so.
At some point you just have to stop adding players like that to the wage bill though. People have spent years complaining about us having a load of players who don't offer us anything and are just eating up money, and then every time we're linked with bringing another one in people go 'yeah seems like a good idea to me you've got to have a squad you know'. We've all been clinging to the idea of a reset and lowering the age of the squad while we take a longer term view and then within a week of the season ending we've got people advocating signing Tarkowski and Almiron and giving new contracts to Delph, Kenny etc.

I very much doubt there's even a grain of truth in the rumour to be honest, he is absolutely not the type of player we should be looking to bring in, under any circumstances.

The worry with the Almiron link, if you were jittery is that we may applied our budget to the tangible availability and thats the best we came up with. But silly season stuff really.

May as well just go for someone with the potential for a massive upside like Scotty Twine if the above were true.

Id be the first into the trenches to go against the group think on here, but even id find it hard to find the upside of Almiron.

Last edited:

At some point you just have to stop adding players like that to the wage bill though. People have spent years complaining about us having a load of players who don't offer us anything and are just eating up money, and then every time we're linked with bringing another one in people go 'yeah seems like a good idea to me you've got to have a squad you know'. We've all been clinging to the idea of a reset and lowering the age of the squad while we take a longer term view and then within a week of the season ending we've got people advocating signing Tarkowski and Almiron and giving new contracts to Delph, Kenny etc.

I very much doubt there's even a grain of truth in the rumour to be honest, he is absolutely not the type of player we should be looking to bring in, under any circumstances.

I get this but in this scenario what would be your proposed way forward?

Frank settles on 433 and 523 as his preferred formations (e.g wide players needed in both)

El Ghazi returns to Villa, Richarlison gets his move. Townsend doesn’t look like being ready until Christmas because of his cruciate.

Iwobi is first choice in the attacking midfield role in 433, or the RWB role in 523.

After player sales, we spend the majority of our transfer budget on a first choice centre back, first choice defensive midfielder, and a central striker as replacement for Richarlison.

That leaves Gordon and Gray as our only wingers in the squad. Dobbin is promoted to cover one flank.

What do you do for the other? Do you hope we don’t get injuries. Do we move Iwobi out wide? Do we promote another youth winger who might not be ready? Play someone out of position?

I know this is a hypothetical scenario but it’s easily one that could unfold this summer.

I agree with your principle, we don’t want to hoarde average players but equally we’re a million miles off having two quality players for each position and we’re already maxing out using the academy (Gordon Branthwaite Simms Dobbin) just to make the squad up.

I get this but in this scenario what would be your proposed way forward?

Frank settles on 433 and 523 as his preferred formations (e.g wide players needed in both)

El Ghazi returns to Villa, Richarlison gets his move. Townsend doesn’t look like being ready until Christmas because of his cruciate.

Iwobi is first choice in the attacking midfield role in 433, or the RWB role in 523.

After player sales, we spend the majority of our transfer budget on a first choice centre back, first choice defensive midfielder, and a central striker as replacement for Richarlison.

That leaves Gordon and Gray as our only wingers in the squad. Dobbin is promoted to cover one flank.

What do you do for the other? Do you hope we don’t get injuries. Do we move Iwobi out wide? Do we promote another youth winger who might not be ready? Play someone out of position?

I know this is a hypothetical scenario but it’s easily one that could unfold this summer.

I agree with your principle, we don’t want to hoarde average players but equally we’re a million miles off having two quality players for each position and we’re already maxing out using the academy (Gordon Branthwaite Simms Dobbin) just to make the squad up.
Sign a different winger?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back