Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Everton Summer Transfer Thread - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shocking analysis from you mate, expect better to be honest. You’re usually quite good.

We definitely don’t have players that suit a 3 at the back. Paterson has the profile to play wingback. Myko will have to show a lot, lot more going forward in general play than we’ve seen. A solid left back but hardly a dynamic attacking wing back with quality delivery - Digne’s quality going forward was far better.

None of our midfield have proven to be either mobile enough or good enough on the ball to effectively play in a two. The defence get left complete exposed and the front thee are left isolated with the support miles behind them.

It’s an attacking formation when you have the better players and control the ball to move up the pitch. If you don’t then, well, you’ve surely seen what happens. Midfield get outnumbered, wingbacks end up forming a back 5, huge gap between midfield and front 3 who get isolated and balls hoofed up to them.

The other issue is when we do get pushed back it means the back three end up defending the penalty box and players like Godfrey and Holgate who are extremely weak in the air and positionally get targeted.

To go through these 1 by one...

Myko has far more energy than Digne and crucially can keep the ball better, while also being superior defensively. Wing backs dont always need to be ultra attack minded...they can be balanced.

Patterson i imagine is suited so for me both fit the back 3.

Ive not mentioned the midfield, only the defence. The midfield needs recycling no matter what formation.

If we sign someone that im championing in Colwill he is used to playing a high line at Huddersfield and regularly camped on the half way line. He can play progressive passes and diagonals. In additon, he has the pace to get back.

Godfrey is of course quick and Holgate looks decent in a back 3 as well.

It also opens up opportunities for Branthwaite who seems to have 'the lot'.

The actual weak links in a back 3 are Keane + Mina who would need to be moved on.

The business done in January, why if Frank is set on his style would he bring in 2 players that dont fit it in VDB and Alli for big wages?

I understand that formation can be attacking and defensive BUT how do we score goals when the only central players are 2 CM that cant get forward and 1 striker! Everyone is out wide and no one in the danger area going forward, if against a 4-3-3 you will have a back 5 as the WBs will be pinned and out numbered in CM in every game.

Delph is the only CM capable of playing 3-4-3, the players I list do not as proven. Have a look at the stats regarding the 3-4-3 v 4-3-3/4-2-3-1, it is plainly obvious IF, I say again IF we continue down the 3 at the back route we will be stuck with a prohibitive system that teams rarely over-achieve with unless you are chucking top level elite players at it.

Moyes over achieved for years using 4-1-4-1/4-3-3 system and still does with West Ham, I`m sorry I don`t except West Ham have far better players than us.

Look at how we do with these formations then look at who uses them and where the ceiling is, we wont ever be successful using the 3/5 at the back but once you go far enough down that route it will be hard to come back from when the new manager comes in and wants a back 4.

Firstly I think youre talking about players Lampard brought in for zero cost. Thats not to say theyre staying, short term or have a different utlity.

Delph was DM. In some games he was good when we were deep...his positioning was there. In others he was poor.

Again, formations mean little in terms of 'winning' or 'losing'. What matters is the players and the style of play.

Clearly playing a high line in a back 4 using Keane, Kenny and Coleman isnt going to make your back 4 better than a 3 with players suited to it....

Hes been linked like this for 6months.

As i said earlier, hes apparently coming for talks with us and Spurs.
Easy choice Zat. We can move on?

I think he's best at playing right sided midfield or right wing. Not seen enough of him to make proper judgement but he has looked lively and scored a couple of nice goals when he's played first team. I think he and McAtee(centre mid) will be given more game time next season. I certainly hope so because they're both local lads and from my perspective i think it's good that we are getting better youngsters joining our academy than united are.
Both look absolute quality IMO. 2 absolute gems there. Heard McAtee might be off to Southampton on loan but not sure if true or not

Rumours that hes coming over to meet us and Spurs.

Just your first sentence is mental lol

It would appear the clubs approach to recruitment v playing style is way off yet again....

--This analysis for no business done.

The second isnt bad either lol

If he is set on 5-4-1/3-4-3 (Yet we hammered Rafael for being negative) then Dele Alli is a massive waste of money, I know we haven`t paid for him but his wages wont be insignificant.

You dont seem to understand that any formation can be 'attacking' or 'defensive'.

You've then sliced a player who has barely played and when he has was part of critical moments. He's easily able to play in both those formations you mention....and more.

You the say Delph "needs a new contract" which is disturbing.

Then you list a bunch of players who dont fit your imaginary style and call for all of them to go.

Finally, WTF is this???

Who fits the 4-3-3, everyone we have and everyone we are linked with.

What nonsense is that lol
?:yellow:???‍♂️:red:

I think he's best at playing right sided midfield or right wing. Not seen enough of him to make proper judgement but he has looked lively and scored a couple of nice goals when he's played first team. I think he and McAtee(centre mid) will be given more game time next season. I certainly hope so because they're both local lads and from my perspective i think it's good that we are getting better youngsters joining our academy than united are.
McAtee looks very good, not seen Palmer i dont think. Hows your centre forward Delap?

Both Spurs and Chelsea look good in that system, Chelsea had bad luck with their wing backs this year but still finished 3rd, no doubt Conte is class of course
We lack a v good DM for 4 atb atm imo
WH have Rice
Leicester Ndidi
Brighton Bissouma(when they play 4)
Newcastle Bruno and an inspirational position change for Joelinton has helped Newcastle a lot
Upshot is our midfield is weak now for it, for both formations really coz Spurs and Chelsea have much better mids than us
I think we are unlikely to get Gallagher though he could swing it to a 433 like palace
Compensating with an extra CB for a weak midfield isn't necessarily the best plan but freeing up an energetic myko and patterson could be worth it with our wingers tucking in for extra support in the mid, just floating thoughts, I'm no expert!
I suppose we'd like to be fluid but the teams that do best rarely change formations. It's 50/50 what way we go isn't it? I just have a feeling WBs are what we'll start with and a part of me wants to see it! Interesting times
This is exactly right.

Have to bring in a DM this summer...Douglas Luiz has one year on his deal. He someone who needs to be less passive and more dominant in his defensive duties + take more chances in his passing.

Not many others in my mind other than Bissoulma (one year left also), Gilmour and Ampadu.
I didn’t say he was my choice did I?
I pointed out that your set up did not have enough experience and that Keane will still be here

Id rather have Branthwaite as Tarkowski backup (if we get him) than Keane.

Experience is needed but Keane is too bad a player and with clear weaknesses.

As i said, if hes in the squad next season then i think its a massive failure.

Both look absolute quality IMO. 2 absolute gems there. Heard McAtee might be off to Southampton on loan but not sure if true or not
Probably be a good loan move to Saints providing he gets enough minutes. Pep rates him highly and wants to keep him in the first team squad but he needs to play.

The way I see it is that we need 3 in CM for exactly the reason our players aren`t top level. How many games this season have we been crying out for a 3rd man in CM. This works 2 ways, stops us being passive in defence and supplements numbers in attack.
Don't disagree we are often overrun in midfield and it's numbers and the lack of mobility and control in there. My point was about a back three was at the time he didn't trust any two at the back so the back three made sense. Let's strengthen at the back and midfield and then we will see I think we will see various formations.

@Zatara

Delap was supposed to have got a run in the team but he suffered a bad injury and missed last season. Highly promising young traditional centre forward who scored many goals in the youth teams and academy, reminds me of a young Alan Shearer. I think his best option is to find a decent championship club next season because he'll get no proper game time now we have Haaland and Alvarez blocking his path. Delap is one for the future but I think his boat has sailed with us, unfortunately.

The issue is mate, the core business loses money. The wage bill is nearly 90% of it's turnover. We have obviously trimmed it a fair bit last summer, and further this summer. That's before any transfers come in. Depending on how deals were structured, we would probably have broken even last year on that.

Essentially we need to be buying, but crucially selling a lot more. That generates accounting profits and helps subsidise the wage bill.
This is just common sense and I am baffled as to why we don't do it as we hang on to players far too long. If a player has not performed as expected after 2 seasons then sell them if its at a loss then so be it as it is much better than for the business than letting them run their contract down and leaving on a free.

@Zatara

Delap was supposed to have got a run in the team but he suffered a bad injury and missed last season. Highly promising young traditional centre forward who scored many goals in the youth teams and academy, reminds me of a young Alan Shearer. I think his best option is to find a decent championship club next season because he'll get no proper game time now we have Haaland and Alvarez blocking his path. Delap is one for the future but I think his boat has sailed with us, unfortunately.
Alvarez play on the wing too I presume? He looks an astute signing

I think those looking for a mass exodus this close season will be left very disappointed. I think with financial restrictions it is impossible to move so many players and replace them. Tosun is confirmed as gone, you`d imagine another certain attack minded midfield player is also gone. It yet remains to be seen whether other contracts are offered to Delph, Kenny and Lonergan as nothing is in the public realm as yet.

Obviously we lose El Ghazi and VDB, with the loan lads coming back our squad as it stands looks like this for next season....

Pickford
Begovic
Lonergan *contract ends 30/06/2022
Virginia

Kenny *contract ends 30/06/2022
Patterson
Holgate
Keane
Mina
Mykolenko
Godfrey
Branthwaite
Nkounkou

Allan
Delph *contract ends 30/06/2022
Doucoure
Gomes
Davies
Alli
Gbamin

Richarlison
Calvert-Lewin
Gray
Townsend
Iwobi
Gordon
Rondon
Simms

The only players linked with moves away are Richy and DCL.... Who realistically wants the rest of the ?

Every season we have had our better players cherry picked leaving us with the squad we have now.

McAtee looks very good, not seen Palmer i dont think. Hows your centre forward Delap?

This is exactly right.

Have to bring in a DM this summer...Douglas Luiz has one year on his deal. He someone who needs to be less passive and more dominant in his defensive duties + take more chances in his passing.

Not many others in my mind other than Bissoulma (one year left also), Gilmour and Ampadu.

Id rather have Branthwaite as Tarkowski backup (if we get him) than Keane.

Experience is needed but Keane is too bad a player and with clear weaknesses.

As i said, if hes in the squad next season then i think its a massive failure.
Agreed, we need better, however, with Mina and him needing off, I think more likely Mina goes. Cannot see many in for Keane and he will, if nothing else offer experience to the others.

Alvarez play on the wing too I presume? He looks an astute signing
I don't know much about him tbh but have seen a YouTube compilation and he looks the business. Mind you, i saw a very good YouTube compilation on Georgios Samaras who Stuart Pearce signed and he turned out to be a big donkey, aka 'the Greek tragedy'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back