Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Everton Summer Transfer Thread - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
We need a defensive mid desperately imo. Theres a lad at Sheffield Utd who’s decent and has gone off the radar recently after relegation and an injury. Sander Berge. He’d be cheap and be a big improvement for us. Solid defensively but good on the ball and always looking to pay forward.
Kalvin Phillips would be my first choice but that’s not happening is it.

We need a defensive mid desperately imo. Theres a lad at Sheffield Utd who’s decent and has gone off the radar recently after relegation and an injury. Sander Berge. He’d be cheap and be a big improvement for us. Solid defensively but good on the ball and always looking to pay forward.
We can't go for anyone whose had major injury problems mate

I think generally this is correct.

However, weve seen that Iniesta + Xavi together (with Busquets behind) dominated the midfield for a decade across Europe.

Gilmour 5'7
Gavi 5'8
Pedri 5'9

Lets say those 3 highly technical players were playing in a midfield 3 together without a 'big' DM.

Weve seen our midfield cut open like a knife through butter for years now...would they actually make us worse defensively in midfield? Im not sure they would.

If the opposition lost the ball, how would they get it back?

In reality you'd probably need to use a diamond still with those 3 adding a DM. But I dont see how much worse our midfield could be defensively...its already dire.

Iwobi has played 97 games for us.

Over three seasons hes scored 2 + 2 + 3 goals.

Yet some on here now suddenly love him cos he runs around alot (as Doucoure does) but does nothing else.

Good attitude to have but theres such a limited product -- he scored against Newcastle and runs around :(

At least at CB we have servicable players like Godfrey, Holgate, Branthwaite who all need a leader/organiser (Tarkowski).

The midfield cant get much worse.
True technical skill of course is very important and I am not even saying effort and graft is all we need it's a base line, of course that Barca midfield was exceptional but I do believe in the premier league you need a physical presence too. I am not even saying Doucs is a very good player he has some good aspects and some weak ones. He is at least offering mobility and ball carrying/defensive qualities and has put shifts in which is more than can be said for some in our squad. I was just saying he is still useful in rotation, of course our midfield needs a total overhaul I have repeatedly said we need a defensive midfielder and a box to box/creative player at the least ideally we would get three midfielders in the summer depending on our budget. But Doucs isn't the first one I look at as an issue from the squad anyway (he only has a year to run anyway? I think) of course we could do better but we have four other midfielders who are contributing very little currently that need upgrading and we can't do it all in one summer. I think addressing the key areas will mean he is phased out anyway, I just find the criticism slightly over the top he was never going to be Vieria but he's a decent player.

Last edited:
Ok. Think a lot would disagree with you

I’d trust any of these players to handle the ball in midfield far better than Gueye would

Osman Pienaar (obviously but I’ll assume you’re not considering them)

Barry
Besic
DvB
Allan

I’d trust the touch and passing of any of them over Gueye’s.
Besic is crap. Look at his career.

Thats their best 3 players.

I think Lampard will focus on players in England.
If you look at Lampards past he does seem to favour the English/British lads and we have quite a big British contingent.

Pickford
Lonergan
Kenny
Patterson
Holgate
Keane
Godfrey
Coleman
Branthaite
Delph
Davis
Alli
DCL
Gray
Tonsend
Godon
=16 out of a squad of 28

On a side note, it was god to see our Ashle Cole on the bench for England U21s, in that role he will be aware of the best English talent at that level and the age groups below....

Last edited:
If you look at Lampards past he does seem to favour the English/British lads and we have quite a big British contingent.

Pickford
Lonergan
Kenny
Patterson
Holgate
Keane
Godfrey
Coleman
Branthaite
Delph
Davis
Alli
DCL
Gray
Tonsend
Godon
=16 out of a squad of 28
Shame 90% of them are garbage. Coleman is Irish. Delph (and I assume lonergan) contract isn't being renewed.

Berge was Sheff Utd best players in Prem. I'd be looking at similar stature of players as we build !

Might be able to get him on a season long loan

Berge is a good shout. Big career mistake on his part going to Shef Utd.
He is imense carrying the ball forward on the counter attack. Glides past players with ease. Bit like Yaya Toure. Dont think he will come cheap though. He's got many admirers and is also a big player for his country.
A big yes please

Berge is a good shout. Big career mistake on his part going to Shef Utd.
He is imense carrying the ball forward on the counter attack. Glides past players with ease. Bit like Yaya Toure. Dont think he will come cheap though. He's got many admirers and is also a big player for his country.
A big yes please

His release clause is 35 million, they bought him for 22 million

Pickford
Lonergan
Kenny
Patterson
Holgate
Keane
Godfrey
Coleman
Branthaite
Delph
Davis
Alli
DCL
Gray
Tonsend
Godon
=16 out of a squad of 28

On a side note, it was god to see our Ashle Cole on the bench for England U21s, in that role he will be aware of the best English talent at that level and the age groups below....

I think these are the relevant 10 players.

Pickford (English)
Patterson (Scottish)
Holgate (English)
Godfrey (English)
Branthwaite (English)
Davies (English)
DCL (English)
Dele (English)
Gordon (English)
Gray (English)

No idea about Cole.

When i look at Winks, Lingard, Tarkowski they probably arent the most appealing names but i wonder if they may fit into Lampards preferred signing type for this window.

Tell you what, we'd have a half decent side if the media links had some weight...
Pickford
Mee/mina Keane tarkowski/godfrey
Coleman/Patterson/iwobi. Myko
Gallacher. Gilmour. Douc/iwobi
Richy/Gordon. Dcl/gray

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back