Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Everton Summer Transfer Thread - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
You could argue with a front 3/4 of dcl, Gordon, gray and iwobi and with alli also seemingly coming on leaps and bounds this summer with his fitness there is no rush to get a replacement for richy

The problem is depth though because Townsend won’t be back till December and rondon is the only other attacking player with experience before you revert to youth like simms and dobbin

Looks like a deal for MGW will be done soon I imagine and thereafter the focus may then be shifted to the midfield and loan deals

Although i have said that I dont think replacing Richy will be as difficult as some on here think, I do not think that those from 3 are anything that will worry any PL opposition defenders too much. Every one of those players has form thats dipped in and out.

To be a good side this year with that front 3/4, we would need them all to be on form pretty much all season and it just isnt likely in my view.

Add in to that Dele Alli and we have yet another unpredictable and flawed players that does have potential but is unlikely to be counted on for 30+ games a season.

All in all, I fear for us this season unless those players all magically play well at the same time and more consistently than they ever have before or we add much greater depth so that with the 5 subs, if one of them if having an off day from the start he gets hooked at half time.

I think that Tarkowski should give us solidity at the back so hopefully we dont shift too many goals against the teams that we can realistically compete with which is those outside the top 6/7 in the league.

I like the idea of signing talented young, motivated players rather than mercenaries who don’t want to work hard.

However, I would like an experienced old head in there to lead them. A proven winner who still has the burning desire and will to win.
50362-1583252426.jpg

Available on a free I believe

So you believe the likes of southampton, fulham, brentford, bournemouth & forest have better sides than Everton when all fit?

-Thats southampton that lost something like their last 9 fixtures, and heavily beaten in a lot of them
-Brentford without Eriksson? They were in free fall before he arrived
- Leeds even, finished below us, theyve now lost their 2 best players, and no guarantees on any of their new signings

Let's be honest though, the entire league is pretty average despite what the media might have you believe.

The top 2 are way beyond our levels and Chelsea/Spurs look to be doing good business and Utd might finally have a manager that knows what he is doing.

Besides that, the league is pretty poor. Just look at what Moyes did with a team of mainly average professionals who can put a shift in, be physical and organised. On any given day, any team outside those clubs I just mentioned can beat any other team, it just boils down to who wants it more, slight tactical differences that a manager can add and how injuries line up also given the amount of games being played.

Let's be honest though, the entire league is pretty average despite what the media might have you believe.

The top 2 are way beyond our levels and Chelsea/Spurs look to be doing good business and Utd might finally have a manager that knows what he is doing.

Besides that, the league is pretty poor. Just look at what Moyes did with a team of mainly average professionals who can put a shift in, be physical and organised. On any given day, any team outside those clubs I just mentioned can beat any other team, it just boils down to who wants it more, slight tactical differences that a manager can add and how injuries line up also given the amount of games being played.
Exactly, if we kept what we have (our better players) & added 3/4 that will improve us, had a bit of luck with injuries, theirs no reason why we cant finish comfortably top 10/challenge for europa conference position

Our home form im hopeful should remain strong now, now everyone seems to be behind the manager and having a good atmosphere at the ground, need to be a lot better away from home to really improve our league position.

Exactly, if we kept what we have (our better players) & added 3/4 that will improve us, had a bit of luck with injuries, theirs no reason why we cant finish comfortably top 10/challenge for europa conference position

Our home form im hopeful should remain strong now, now everyone seems to be behind the manager and having a good atmosphere at the ground, need to be a lot better away from home to really improve our league position.
Completely agree.

Personally, I think we might see a trend in the next few years of clubs in the 8-14th places swapping around frequently. The teams that have Europe each year will move downwards and the teams without Europe will move upwards but always in that bracket unless someone really gets their recruitment correct.

I just have to hope that we can elevate ourselves slightly this year so we are in that bracket to begin with and not fighting the Leeds' and the newbies.

We need a player who can sit in front of the back four who can both start our attacks by receiving the ball from Pickford/the defence and play progressively and also contribute to us defensively by holding our shape - and we needed that player yesterday. I like the look of Gibbs-White but he is not that player, we already have two players in Doucoure and Allan who are most comfortable in that number 8 role that it appears MGW prefers.

Whilst I'd happily see both of them both of them punted in favour of Gibbs-White, when you're working with such a meagre budget you have to prioritise your weakest areas. I would argue that we need a right winger even before a box-to-box midfielder like Gibbs-White.

The links to Onana are encouraging but surely they're pie in the sky? West Ham have already had a big bid for him rejected and Lille have sold players already so under no pressure to take a smaller offer. Florian Grillitsch is still available on a free and I'd genuinely just get him in at this point even though he doesn't have the most stellar injury record. I cannot take the Doucoure-Allan axis of evil for another season.

So you believe the likes of southampton, fulham, brentford, bournemouth & forest have better sides than Everton when all fit?

-Thats southampton that lost something like their last 9 fixtures, and heavily beaten in a lot of them
- Leeds even, finished below us, theyve now lost their 2 best players, and no guarantees on any of their new signings
I don't think there's much in it.

I could see us finishing anywhere in the bottom half, depending on luck.

Completely agree.

Personally, I think we might see a trend in the next few years of clubs in the 8-14th places swapping around frequently. The teams that have Europe each year will move downwards and the teams without Europe will move upwards but always in that bracket unless someone really gets their recruitment correct.

I just have to hope that we can elevate ourselves slightly this year so we are in that bracket to begin with and not fighting the Leeds' and the newbies.
To elevate we have to strengthen. Other teams around us have, and if we stand still we risk falling further behind. Better luck with injuries, and a more unified team will help us get results, but we also need to push on and get a few new players in. Tarkowski was a good start but we also need to strengthen in areas where we have let players go, ie. replace Richey, improve backup striker options and get bodies into midfield.

Brentford have a better squad

Leeds as of right now have improved with a better squad.

Southampton also have a better squad

Leicester is so superior to ours

Forest have spent loads so we don’t know yet

Fulham and Bournemouth could also be close but I think Bournemouth will be worse.

This still could all change with a few new signings mind.

Good points. It's possible to jump six places with marginal improvement in this league. I guess the thing is all sides are trying to improve though and we start from a low base.

I can understand wanting to get signings right because we'll live or die by them this season. But we have to get them in to have a stake. The squad is too weak to expect anything other than a season of scrapping and tension without.

I'd just like to see one small bit of creativity, maybe with a loan signing. Just some hint of an X factor from someone. We have a bit of scope there to gamble just a little. The signings of Barry, McCarthy, and Lukaku transformed our season in 13/14. We need the mix of signings this summer to give us an uplift like that, and it doesn't have to be anywhere near as good as those turned out to have us in mid-table comfort.

It's all about recruitment - we just have to start getting it right. It will create positive momentum and confidence virtually immediately. We've forgotten what it's like for players to come in and make a good impact from the off.

Last edited:

Fulham and Bournemouth could also be close but I think Bournemouth will be worse.

New players don't always make a better squad,unless you're Man City, Chelsea etc.

Very pessimistic view that to be honest and I've been quite critical myself recently..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back