Everton Summer transfers 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ings is reported as 25m plus 5m addons. If the 5m is actually paid then he has hit his targets and will have been a success. Buendia has played in the PL with Norwich the season before last where he had better stats than Grealish (our 'best player by a country mile'). Yes, Grealish is a loss but we got 100m for him which is very good. To say that 'can't see how anybody can say that Villa are outperforming any club in this window.' is a bit of a joke.
VF.
Would you pick the three players you have signed or would you have foregone the money and kept Grealish ?, you obviously don't hold Grealish in the same esteem as Pep. Who in the Villa squad last year came close to Grealish ?

Signings are a risk , nobody knows that better than us and players coming in who have not played in the Premiership before are a bigger risk. I am certainly not saying they are bad signings but I cannot see how anybody can say that the two players who have never played Premiership before will be a success.

No Allan either

You really shouldn't want James to be 'booted' with the squad we have mate, it's just dead dead weird ffs

Could easily be COVID related

May be mate bit odd though.

My thoughts on James are quite clear - he wont suit Benitez's system, he's injured half the season and to be frank the lad thinks he's bigger than the club and above his team mates.

Whilst that big time charlie mentality may work at your elite clubs squad like ours needs to feel united and pulling in one direction together.

There is a reason Carlo aside not many managers seem to have loved having James around the place...

VF.
Would you pick the three players you have signed or would you have foregone the money and kept Grealish ?, you obviously don't hold Grealish in the same esteem as Pep. Who in the Villa squad last year came close to Grealish ?

Signings are a risk , nobody knows that better than us and players coming in who have not played in the Premiership before are a bigger risk. I am certainly not saying they are bad signings but I cannot see how anybody can say that the two players who have never played Premiership before will be a success.
I think this is where Villa have been smart with the Ings signing.

They've probably paid too much, but if he stays fit he pretty much guarantees double figures of goals and that's a huge boost for a side which is trying to rebuild - and it's where we went so badly wrong after selling Lukaku.

Bailey is a quality player but may need some time, while Buendia has been in the Prem and England for a long time so not really sure he can be deemed risky. However, Ings coming in takes the strain off Watkins to score their goals. I think they've done it smartly.

Rondon is washed up. Get a young player with some upside and who won't be deadwood in six/twelve months time. I am not sure why I bother wasting my breath as they keep making the same mistakes over and over and over.
If Dobbin is anywhere near ready to play in the first team then having someone like Rondon as a third choice striker to act as cover until Dobbin is ready to play makes sense.

If Dobbin is nowhere near ready then I agree with you that I would like a young striker from the lower leagues to be brought in and at least have a chance at becoming a premiership striker.

My thoughts on James are quite clear - he wont suit Benitez's system, he's injured half the season and to be frank the lad thinks he's bigger than the club and above his team mates.

Whilst that big time charlie mentality may work at your elite clubs squad like ours needs to feel united and pulling in one direction together.

There is a reason Carlo aside not many managers seem to have loved having James around the place...
I just can't fathom why you want him 'booted' mate, but then moan that we're crap. It doesn't compute for me.

We'll see what happens with James, he probably will go but I really don't get the attitude of actively wanting him out in sake of a system that just doesn't work - for any team outside of ones that have world class players in the front positions.

And again, we have genuine tosh as well in those roles that needs punting.

On the vid, there's four players missing and Dunc, so it has to be something other than 'CBA turning up lads', though it would have been nice to see him/them all.

Gone quiet

Gone a bit quiet?
Gone a bit quiet??
Our Transfer window is pining for the Fjords.. Mate!

giphy.gif

He actually is though

He is!
Massivelly

I think this is where Villa have been smart with the Ings signing.

They've probably paid too much, but if he stays fit he pretty much guarantees double figures of goals and that's a huge boost for a side which is trying to rebuild - and it's where we went so badly wrong after selling Lukaku.

Bailey is a quality player but may need some time, while Buendia has been in the Prem and England for a long time so not really sure he can be deemed risky. However, Ings coming in takes the strain off Watkins to score their goals. I think they've done it smartly.
BT,
If all three signings are a success then they certainly have been smart in the market.... but , getting all three right may not be as easy as it looks.... who knows better than us ?

I also believe that the loss of Grealish is being swept under the carpet as if he is not a huge loss and they have been well compensated, which they have been, but they have been well compensated because he is a huge loss .Can you imagine what the addition of Grealish would do to our Everton team ?

Time will tell, none of us know until the games start. The same for ourselves.
Will Townsend be able to contribute ?
Will Grey be able to deliver on the talent that he obviously has but in truth has only shown in flashes.

Yes, they cost very little but if they can't contribute then they are still expensive.

He actually is though

He is!
Massivelly

Globally that may be true but indulging him or any other player sends the wrong message to the rest of the squad who lets be honest dont need much excuse to not put in 100% effort.

There is also reason why at 30 he is playing for mid table Everton and not a CL club and whilst injuries are one reason his mentality is certainly another.

We've been taken for a ride as a fanbase for too long by disinterested players we need a rebuild/reset and that starts with players like James, Siggurdsson, Kean, Gomes, Delph, Iwobi - players with attitudes above their station legged out the club regardless of talent.

What I loved during the Moyes days was you knew he was the boss and if he wanted a player gone doesn't matter how good he was you knew it was for the good of the club/squad - I dont get that feeling anymore this squad decides when and where it wants to turn up and that has to change.

Agreed.

But, if we lost Richarlison or DCL and replaced them with the players Villa have signed I would be hopeful that they will improve us in spite of losing our best player but I certainly would have doubts.

I think Grealish was a bigger influence on Villa than Richarlison is on Everton btw.

For years I have been listening to clubs who have going to pass us out and leave us trailing, but we are still a top half premiership team and most of the others have slipped back.

I think Villa will be mid table this season and there is nothing wrong with that..
I haven't a clue where we will be but we still have all the players so far that had us in the top six area for most of last season , I think the next three weeks will influence that a lot.

I think the addition of maybe three or even two more quality players would give us a very strong first eleven and my hope is we get those.
This is a good point. Lots of people saying we will get "left behind". You are always 1 season, 1 window, even a few results away from a complete transformation. Sometimes it's the same players and a different coach, sometimes it could be a different goalkeeper, or a defensive midfielder making the world of difference.

How you can genuinely get left behind is if you overspend into oblivion. That is something very few can overcome. Even the strongest can only outrun it for so long, just look at Barcelona. And if things had worked out slightly differently over the last 18 months with COVID and the Super League, it could've been a number of top teams facing some very difficult times. The fact the big 6 were punished so little, as well as being very unfair, also hints at the kind of financial situation they could've been in had they been punished more severely in relation to what to they did.

For me, it makes sense to take this time to cut our cloth accordingly and go again. Ancelotti was a roll of the dice. Getting someone with his name and stature, and backing him with top names was, I believe, us trying to seize a potential opportunity to steal a march on other teams, and it failed. You can't just keep going again and again. Well, you can, but it won't end well unless you happen to go out and win the lot.

Benitez may not be everyones first choice to be our manager, or anyone's for that matter, but he has obviously been brought in as a tactical coach with lots of experience and something to prove. He keeps some of the credentials and reputation of Ancelotti, while being slightly more pragmatic a choice over romanticism.

We could do a lot worse than having a year or 2 to develop some foundations, reset the mess we have ended up with, and lower expectations before hopefully, coming back stronger in the long run. If we have any success in the meantime, bonus.

But at the moment, it's seemingly about being realistic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back