Everton Summer transfers 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
McCarthy was excellent for a season. You can’t try and tell me that Gomes or Davies are as good. He was our best player in a team that finished with 72 points.
Maybe I can’t tell you they are better
But you’ve totally lost the whole discussion trying to make out he was the reason we got 5th and 72points lol

Both full backs were brilliant. Barry, Barkley, lukaku. All more important than McCarthy that season.

Last edited:
We are talking peak McCarthy, I don’t think there would be much in it. During that season people were thinking he was an upgrade on Fellaini.

After that season, then absolutely fair enough.
But you’re picking out his best games. Fellani Utd first game of the season. Away at Fulham unplayable. I could pick out 10 Darren Gibson games. That would be better than anything McCarthy could produce. At least Gibson could pass the ball forward

Biggest compliment I can give him is that he was very, very close to being as good as Kante in his role.
This will sound hot takey but I think Gana is every bit Kante's equal but instead of being French and signing for a Leicester side that was also going to strike gold with Mahrez he's Senegalese and signed for a Villa team that hired Tim Sherwood. They were very close as individuals.

This will sound hot takey but I think Gana is every bit Kante's equal but instead of being French and signing for a Leicester side that was also going to strike gold with Mahrez he's Senegalese and signed for a Villa team that hired Tim Sherwood. They were very close as individuals.

Very close but think Kante was technically a bit better on the ball.

In terms of their core job though they were equally brilliant.

Very close but think Kante was technically a bit better on the ball.

In terms of their core job though they were equally brilliant.
I disagree. Kante played in better teams that made his play on the ball less of an issue. Gueye wasn't good enough to carry some crap Everton teams around him and for me Kante wouldn't have been either. But he wasn't the problem.

I disagree. Kante played in better teams that made his play on the ball less of an issue. Gueye wasn't good enough to carry some crap Everton teams around him and for me Kante wouldn't have been either. But he wasn't the problem.

Wasn't saying he was a 'problem' in any area of his game, I just think Kante was marginally better - I'd class both as genuine world class in their roles and, indeed, in Kante's case he should have won the Ballon d'or for that one year where he was completely unplayable as far as I'm concerned.

Wasn't saying he was a 'problem' in any area of his game, I just think Kante was marginally better - I'd class both as genuine world class in their roles and, indeed, in Kante's case he should have won the Ballon d'or for that one year where he was completely unplayable as far as I'm concerned.
Kante was never the best player on Earth, I think the year you're talking about was 2018 and if you weren't giving it to Modric for being a key cog for the European Champions and the best player at the World Cup than the right choices remained Messi and Ronaldo.

I just look at the kind of work Gana is doing in a team with real talent and I see someone who would have been recognized as World class for his entire career had he found himself in one of those teams when he was 24 instead of 29. He's a victim of circumstance honestly kind of like Baines was.

Kante was never the best player on Earth, I think the year you're talking about was 2018 and if you weren't giving it to Modric for being a key cog for the European Champions and the best player at the World Cup than the right choices remained Messi and Ronaldo.

I just look at the kind of work Gana is doing in a team with real talent and I see someone who would have been recognized as World class for his entire career had he found himself in one of those teams when he was 24 instead of 29. He's a victim of circumstance honestly kind of like Baines was.

I agree. I just said I considered Gana world class - and still do. Allan has looked good for us but I'd still have Gana back in a heartbeat.

I don't know if there is a more widely believed Everton myth than the Gana was bad with the ball one but it is a myth
It wasn’t a myth at all. That’s why Kante is better because he made less mistakes. You only have to remember gana trying to shoot on the edge of the box, when he got their occasionally. He shooting was awful.

And while that wasn’t his game, it highlights his lack of technique

It wasn’t a myth at all. That’s why Kante is better because he made less mistakes. You only have to remember gana trying to shoot on the edge of the box, when he got their occasionally. He shooting was awful.

And while that wasn’t his game, it highlights his lack of technique
I don't know why people go searching for flaws in players game. Shooting fine Gueye stunk at but he really didn't give the ball away. That's part of the myth.

I don't know why people go searching for flaws in players game. Shooting fine Gueye stunk at but he really didn't give the ball away. That's part of the myth.
He would give the ball away at least once a game. Under no pressure straight to the opposition. His bad performances it could be 3 times.

Go back and watch some of his games.

It’s like me in 3 years saying Allan never have the ball away

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back