Everton Summer transfers 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
I get that, but I'm not even being shortsighted with my praise for him. There is a lot to like about the way he can move the ball and so long as he can be a reasonable player around the box like he's been in the championship this year he's got a chance to be a pretty high level player. He works hard and he wants the ball too. As far as James backup plans go I've yet to see a better one.
I'm not going to question the subjective merits of Buendia as a player. He's clearly shone in the Championship this year and this is an improvement on his largely ineffective showing in the prem in the previous season but the obvious counter argument is, well, obvious. Maybe he has improved and will perform strongly in the prem next year, I'm happy to accept it's possible.

My issue here is the idea that he'd come to us as backup for Rodriguez. Is he good enough to supplant Rodriguez in the lineup - no, of course not and I know you aren't suggesting he is. BUT the likely fee involved if Norwich were to sell him to us would probably be £30m... we aren't paying £30m for someone to be a backup.

If Buendia comes back up to the prem and tears it up with Norwich then his fee will shoot through the roof (plus they won't sell him next January) so we either go for him now and HOPE he turns out fantastic, or we walk away and accept he'll never play for us (because if we leave him for now and then he DOESN'T shine in the prem, we won't be going back for him later). The question is, are we prepared to take the risk with the sizeable fee that will be involved?

I'm not going to question the subjective merits of Buendia as a player. He's clearly shone in the Championship this year and this is an improvement on his largely ineffective showing in the prem in the previous season but the obvious counter argument is, well, obvious. Maybe he has improved and will perform strongly in the prem next year, I'm happy to accept it's possible.

My issue here is the idea that he'd come to us as backup for Rodriguez. Is he good enough to supplant Rodriguez in the lineup - no, of course not and I know you aren't suggesting he is. BUT the likely fee involved if Norwich were to sell him to us would probably be £30m... we aren't paying £30m for someone to be a backup.

If Buendia comes back up to the prem and tears it up with Norwich then his fee will shoot through the roof (plus they won't sell him next January) so we either go for him now and HOPE he turns out fantastic, or we walk away and accept he'll never play for us (because if we leave him for now and then he DOESN'T shine in the prem, we won't be going back for him later). The question is, are we prepared to take the risk with the sizeable fee that will be involved?
Or can we get better for less elsewhere ?

I've just looked at youtube comp of Max Aarons and I'm satisfied he will be England's first choice RB in a few years so that's that sorted.

The newly rebranded Tecatito at Porto for CM. Seems to have played everywhere in the last few years and I initially had him down as a full back but looked very accomplished against Juve in a box-to-box role the other night.

Which leaves us needing to sign a winger and a first choice CB to complete the set. Answers on a postcard but I would be pulling out every possible stop to sign Pedro Neto (or, failing that, tiny little Daniel Podence) from Wolvesh.

Easy game this isn't it

I think the idea that he wasn't very good in the PL is misleading. No he obviously didn't dominate like he is in the championship but he was a better creator in open play than he's given credit for and we desperately need creativity. The other thing is he does a lot of good work aside from goals and assists. He's not Gylfi Sigurdsson.

I actually think he can play with James because he does a lot of work out of possession. A team with Richarlison, DCL, James and Buendia is completely reasonable. And James is going to miss time so we badly need another creator and ball progressor to be able to rely on in those stretches.

We need good footballers so that for me is the only consideration. I think he's very qualified.

He was a good a certain things, but average at a number of others. My argument was always. 100’s of players can do what McCarthy does

I never used to rate McCarthy but after watching some of the recent centre mids that have followed him at Everton I’d have the 13/14 McCarthy back in a flash.

Start the rumour, get a move to Everton in the press, get Everton in the player's head, next thing you know it's a photoshoot at USM Finch Farm...

That's how it works, right?

#announceRonaldo
If you want it to be believable, you need to go down the tried and trusted path of looking at who isn't getting a game at a major club.

#AnnounceSergiRoberto

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back