Everton Summer transfers 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm neutral on him mate. For some reason he seems to polarise people, and there's never anything balanced.

He isnt given any credit for signing players but gets the stick when we get a bad one. People seem to think some signings are "his" signings and some are the manager's whereas in reality he signs off on all transfers regardless of whether they were suggested by the manager or by the recruitment dept. The recruitment dept is headed by Steinsson. Blaming Brands for some deals and not giving him credit for others is a total nonsense and betrays a complete misunderstanding of how the club works.

What I find him culpable for is allowing us to get into the position of being this far into P&L issues. On the one hand you'd have divvy fans moaning that he wasn't spending enough, but on the other he's knowingly walked us into a position where we are shopping at Barnardos when a more balanced approach over the last few years (not buying Kean at all given we had a good young striker ahead of him, not agreeing £200k pw to a player who can seemingly only play for one manager, not agreeing £100k pw for Mina, etc) is what he should probably be carrying the can for. Granted, he's had issues to contend with that he inherited and time seems to be blinding people to that, but we could have been more prudent since then. He's not got the balance right between still trying to remain competitive and getting us on an even keel.

In short, the mess of this window is not entirely Brands' fault, but he certainly shares some of the blame, a fair chunk of it actually.
You make some really sound points mate and I think my stance on him is shaped by fans with tunnel vision that are never going to be happy, even if we signed Messi they would be complaining we are paying him too much.

I would challenge that while Brands signs off on all transfers, he is an employee at the end of the day and if the owners tell him to sign someone then you are going to do it or walk. This is where reality vs make-believe plays a factor, that we all suspend reality and fall on our sword, yet 99% of people on here wouldn't leave the job that Brands has because of Owner interference, as 99% of big clubs are exactly the same or worse.

So I disagree with the badge that they are all his signings, but you are right he has made mistakes the Mina situation is strange given what Barca paid for him and what his salary was, but then that window was a bit silly in terms of transfers and fees....I only say that because he has proven an excellent negotiator on several transfers. As for JR well that was all part of the package for him accepting the job....

What frustrates me is that interference, and I only hope this embarrassing window makes the owners reflect on how they have put us in this position and really let brands take complete control because I 100% think that a Manager with no Ego or say in player appointments and leaving it to Brands will be a strategy that will really pay off, so here is hoping that Rafael and he can work together.

Donny van de Beek who saw that coming,

I can't see any decent player be it DCL , Richarlison or Digne wanting to stay at a club that's only ambition is to Bob around in mid table.
FWIW I definitely think that Richarlison will go in either January or more likely the summer window.
If that is the magic key to unlocking FFP as some have postulated and we replace him adequately and strengthen in other areas , great, but right now our strategy just looks like one of surviving in the division until the stadium gets built
It feels to me the club is being mothballed for the next couple of years the signings recently are for now and the next 18 months ,but beyond that is where we should be looking younger more potential players to come in after the Townsend and rondon have gone

If anyone is happy with this window at all, they need to give their heads a shake.

Imagine 6 months ago saying our signings would be rondon, townsend, begovic, lonergran and Gray. Not a single person would have been happy.

The only change in that time is a managerial appointment. And now people are just accepting of it.

Gray may admittedly, and I hope he does, prove to be decent but he started well at his last 2 clubs and then it went badly, so it's all on whether he can keep it going.
Too many people went all in on the Moshiri/Benitez hype train and are now in a very tricky position trying to save face (@Death described the window as the best in 10 years, then terrible within two sentences, for example). Nobody can realistically say that this has been a good window, very few players have left and very little quality has come in (with maybe the exception of Gray, it's early days but it looks promising for him so far). We have also increased the average age of the squad which is rarely a good thing.

With arsenal spurs having moved for rbduring the window anyone think arrons will be looked at again at the end of the season. Also other targets we had for rb having moved

You make some really sound points mate and I think my stance on him is shaped by fans with tunnel vision that are never going to be happy, even if we signed Messi they would be complaining we are paying him too much.

I would challenge that while Brands signs off on all transfers, he is an employee at the end of the day and if the owners tell him to sign someone then you are going to do it or walk. This is where reality vs make-believe plays a factor, that we all suspend reality and fall on our sword, yet 99% of people on here wouldn't leave the job that Brands has because of Owner interference, as 99% of big clubs are exactly the same or worse.

So I disagree with the badge that they are all his signings, but you are right he has made mistakes the Mina situation is strange given what Barca paid for him and what his salary was, but then that window was a bit silly in terms of transfers and fees....I only say that because he has proven an excellent negotiator on several transfers. As for JR well that was all part of the package for him accepting the job....

What frustrates me is that interference, and I only hope this embarrassing window makes the owners reflect on how they have put us in this position and really let brands take complete control because I 100% think that a Manager with no Ego or say in player appointments and leaving it to Brands will be a strategy that will really pay off, so here is hoping that Rafael and he can work together.

Donny van de Beek who saw that coming,
As per my previous reply to you.....
Delph , Gomes , Iwobi , Kean and Mina.

We could of moved more out but we've had a solid start to the season

Bring in a Free agent like Aurier or someone who is good enough to start and have an attacking output from rightback and I think we will be fine

And if we sold all 4 you think we would replace them adequately to stay up?

Well yes because we’ve always managed to have enough decent players to maintain our position. I’m not saying we should sell them, I’m making the point that there’s not many teams without European football keeping players that could play for almost anyone in Europe for quite a while AND adding top quality players to these every single window. Not many of them in the premier league at all.

Carlo Ancelotti said: "James is out because he was a little bit tired.

"He didn’t play, he was out, then he played against Sheffield, we prefer not to take a risk."

He rushed back to Colombia and declared himself fit to play Copa America only for the national team to turn their back on him. Listen i don't think anyone doesn't want to see James do well at Everton but they're right to question his desire and determination.
And Ancelotti subsequently explained he was fatigued. Not ‘a little bit tired’. Then in the next presser he said it was the calf injury and he’d been given permission to fly back.
Everton even sent the Colombian team an explanation that he wasn’t fit, but could be in time for the copa. The club also took the unusual step of publicising this on the website.

Everton made the decision to let James go. I don’t think they should have done but they did. That doesn’t change that he wouldn’t have played any part in the city game but it was a t** move putting that photo on when he did

Gomes , Delph , Iwobi are 3 for a start.
Mina , if we don't want to extend his contract , will be hard to shift give his wage.
Are you happy with the deal for Kean? I'm certainly not.
Gomes was all done before he got here, and the strength of his loan no one was unhappy when we bought him, he has had a horifc injury which I think has had a big impact mentally, I think you are seeing signs of the player we signed so fingers crossed.

Delph I don't have an answer - worst signing

Iwobi was a Kia, Mosh and Silva and a knee jerk reaction to a transfer window spent trying to sign a player we didn't get and then doing something stupid, we are not the first club to do this Chelsea have made a career out of it.

I am very happy with the deal, why are you not? £32.6 million and £5 million from PSG - we get rid of a child that would of been an accident waiting to happen.

As per my previous reply to you.....
Delph , Gomes , Iwobi , Kean and Mina.
Just answered this with someone else

Delph - train wreck
Gomes - that deal was always going to happen as he was at the club before Brands
Mina - that could have gone either way, but your right, not built for the premiership, but he can dance lol
Iwobi - he didn't sign him
Kean - on paper the right signing and we are selling him on for a profit

The writing in Bold says everything....

Same James that showed a complete lack of disdain last year by downing tools, a hero in Colombia and even the national manager threw him to the scrapeheap. Let's not have blinkers, nobody else wanted him for a reason, no doubt a serious talent but spare me the him staying is the best thing that happened this window.
No. What is written in bold is what it says on the tin. He needs to get himself fit. He was sluggish in preseason and, for whatever reason, has missed at least 2 week of training with the squad. He needs to work hard over the International break to get his fitness levels up.

As regards the transfer window, what have we actually done this window that is so great? Everybody on here will probably agree that we had a poor window, and many would actually say it was a catastrophe. Certainly going by last nights comments in here. So saying that he was the best thing to happen in the window is no great shakes. Plus I even added the caveat "unless Gray continues his fine form" He's started great but I'm not going overboard about him after 3 games. But if he keeps it up then it's been an inspired signing for such a low fee.

As regards downing tools you really have as much clue as I do over what really happened. But I do agree with the general point you make. I call it unreliability. I think James will be disturbed by the lack of interest in him this summer on the back of being omitted from the Copa America squad, and will be sensible enough to realise that the only way to get his career back on track is to knuckle down and get back into contention here. That depends on his own motivation levels, so I guess we'll see.

Not happy with the window but its not too bad as we have saved money and still improved but if DBB or Brands or anyone at the club starting waffling about ambition or playing cl in the new stadium they can get in a big bin.

Status
Not open for further replies.