Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Everton Transfer Thread 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
.....we were in free fall at the end of last season under a manager who had clearly lost control. I appreciate the positivity regarding top quality strengthening of the squad but at this point in time we have brought in a new no2 keeper who looks like he might have to be no1.

Pre-season isn't encouraging from a performance perspective, players are fighting for places and their futures but there is little to suggest an upturn from last season. With just a couple of weeks to go we have our best CB desperate to leave, his defensive partner injured leaving us with one CB. The back up are either not good enough or not ready. Up front there is uncertainty about Lukaku and we still don't have recognised top drawer back up with Deulofeu having to provide cover.

There is little or no time for players to bed in and all of a sudden we look more like bringing in players much further down our shopping list (Gueye and Williams). I'm positive about the takeover but not one of the high profile players we've been linked with are here. I could imagine problems with one or two but at this stage surely somebody would have been captured.

We look to be in an increasing mess and it's a real concern.

Spot on really Eggs. Think there's a few at the club who will be more than a little surprised, if not worried, that we've not managed to get even one of these 'big names' over the line yet.

Sure a few of them might be 'close', but until they actually sign they're as much an Everton player as Gareth Bale, still pipe dreams.

We're arguably going to start the season weaker than we finished it, depending on how you view Howard vs Stekelenburg, something nobody expected this time last month.

Definitely don't disagree with that. Just think it's about getting the quality. Not about just getting anyone in but getting them early.

....it seems to me we have a strategy to take us to the next level via players like Wisel, Carvalho et al but we are struggling to bring any of our main targets in so we having to act quickly with the season about to start. Almost a situation where we are using Elastoplast as opposed to strategy.

I like that, Elastoplast instead of strategy.

Spot on really Eggs. Think there's a few at the club who will be more than a little surprised, if not worried, that we've not managed to get even one of these 'big names' over the line yet.

Sure a few of them might be 'close', but until they actually sign they're as much an Everton player as Gareth Bale, still pipe dreams.

We're arguably going to start the season weaker than we finished it, depending on how you view Howard vs Stekelenburg, something nobody expected this time last month.

We are certainly going in right now a lot weaker than last seasons start, if anythign down to confidence and morale being battered throughout last season, and whilst Koeman will have lifted that and picked a fair few of them up - gotto figure it's still a fragile boost to confidence that a bad start could see crash down again.

Need fresh blood in the team, and need to shift the wastes of space out the squad asap, also need to be much more forecful in ragards the othe media, right now we are just playing it quiet and letting them tee off on us in regards to Stones and Lukaku especially, honestly don't think you'd see United with Mourinho or Klopp at the rs and a fair few others just sit their without making a very clear statement about it

Also depends on how you view the respective management teams.

I think we are already much stronger.

First game mate, we get turned over by spurs and the confidence boost from koeman arriving will rapidly evaporate, need to have a core of players who come into the team fresh from the last year/two of abjectness and collapsing that marked the martinez years.

I think the main problem is that the fans want to see results quickly. I think they need to manage their own expectations a bit. There is so much focus on transfers (Sky/Fifa/FM probably has a lot to do with that) that people are totally ignoring the other steps that we have made/need to be made.

Look at the quality of the management team we have put in place. Look at where they have come from and how respected they are within the game. The changes they make will take time. Especially when you consider how far we'd fallen over the last couple of years. In the end it was a complete shambles. That doesn't get fixed overnight. They aren't going to think about 1 transfer window or even 1 season. They are going to put things in place for the next 5 seasons. The style of play, the players needed (more on that later) and the general footballing infrastructure will take time to develop.

We've apparently paid off debts and seem to be making inroads on the stadium front. I'm a lot more confident that a stadium will be put in place under new ownership than under the old regime. Again, that's something that isn't going to happen tomorrow.

With regards to the playing staff, we are obviously targeting a higher level of player than we usually would. Attracting these players is going to be much more difficult. It's going to take ALOT more time. It doesn't have to be done in one window. It doesn't have to be done in one season. I've not doubt that we are going to sign the players we need but some of them might not be brought in until the end of the window or the next window or over the next couple of seasons.

We are definitely in the mix, but players right now will look for CL clubs first and foremost. The later it gets in the window, the better are position is as these players will start to run out of options. There's a reason we've bid so much more than others in certain cases. It basically means that we are going to be in the mix right up to the end of the window.

Excellent post

What you make of this @Brownie ?

Good stats. And Williams is a quarter of the price of the others!

CopWSegWcAE3GwW.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back