Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Everton Transfer Thread 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyway back to transfers.

Schneiderlin would be boss, and seems on the fringes at best at United, mourinho passed up on him when at saints as well so could see us bringing him in easily.

In that class just below the ones we've been knocked back by and history with koeman could see it as a good one

IF McCarthy (or, really, any one or two of our current crop of midfielders leave) I could definitely see us going in for him.

Again, a lot can happen in the last two days of the window. Deals, naturally, are sorted more quickly

IF McCarthy (or, really, any one or two of our current crop of midfielders leave) I could definitely see us going in for him.

Again, a lot can happen in the last two days of the window. Deals, naturally, are sorted more quickly

Everyone's obsesed over Mata and his position at United mate, for scheiderlin the situation is arguably worse as at worst Mata becomes a sub - what role does a defensive mid get in with a manager who rarely rotates that position and seems to favour felli and others ahead of him.

To be honest i'm looking forward to deadline day on here. Be hundreds of pages of random flapping about, sightings all around the country and fume at who we end up signing.

either way not sure if i should tell my manager no work will be done that day lol

It is actually pencilled in as one of my busiest days for me in work this year. Thanks Everton for leaving it late! lol

Everyone's obsesed over Mata and his position at United mate, for scheiderlin the situation is arguably worse as at worst Mata becomes a sub - what role does a defensive mid get in with a manager who rarely rotates that position and seems to favour felli and others ahead of him.

Scheiderlin is the one I would go after. He would be a player to base a midfield around. I think with a player of his stature we could really kick on.

It’s hard to see this transfer window as anything other than disappointing but it’s also important to understand the context for this and not draw any rash conclusions about the new ownership.

In many ways it looks very similar to most transfer windows we’ve had for the last 15 years. Not an awful lot of investment in the playing squad, selling a big player and re-investing while standing behind reasons/excuses that investment in other areas has to be factored in. While you can’t really argue with any of that I think it is useful to scratch a layer below to notice other factors at play.

The window was always going to be difficult. The club has restructured almost every aspect of it. The management, coaching staff, recruitment team, how we recruit, board room, leading shareholder as well as exploring a change of home. I could go on but you get the picture.

The two areas which probably have most relevance to the recruitment are that we now have a DOF & Manager. Both of them started new this season. In the past we’ve had managers overlapping much of both roles. I think longer term this will benefit the club. If one leaves the other can stay and keep things ticking over. Similar to Southampton this summer, there was no panic when Koeman left and transfers continued to be done. It is often said with United it wasn’t just that Ferguson left but that Gill went too that saw them go into a relative decline.

The window has been a bit of a fraught one. We started aiming at a grade players and couldn’t get any concluded (Witsel, Koulibaly, Mata, Carvalho). We then seemed to go to tried and tested players from the PL (Bolasie, Gueye, Williams, Kone). Currently we seem to broadening out somewhat looking at more unknowns, which I put down to the Walsh influence (Ghezzal, Perez, Abdennour etc) but not concluding any yet. We are yet to see what the final phase will give us, but what we can say is things will speed up and probably reach a crescendo on deadline day.

I’m sure it won’t be popular but we do need to do better. Even if we pull some stuff out of the bag we will have to acknowledge we left ourselves a bit light at the start of the season and we didn’t manage to convince the first players we wanted. It’s a high expectation but that is what we are dealing with now. It doesn’t mean we panic and start throwing people out of jobs. But quietly Moshiri may reiterate his desire. In future windows we will have to try harder to acquire the best earlier. Is that possible? Well that’s an open question but that should certainly be our aspiration and I hope that’s underlined.

That being said you can just judge Moshiri on 1 transfer window. You have to judge him on numerous windows and also what goes on additionally to player recruitment. As a club we have been too guilty of focussing on player recruitment too closely and neglecting other areas. Much of the frustration I think stems from the good work we are doing outside of the transfer window is not replicated to quite the same level with transfer. We got Southamptons manager in, the champions DOF, are making good progress with a Ground move which looks outstanding yet transfers are proving a bit more challenging.

What we need is more than 1 window of investment. I’m sure we will spend some more before it closes, though probably not coming close to the sort of net figures we were hoping for (I would love to be proven wrong here!). However come January and next summer the recruitment process needs to continue and I suspect it will. I firmly believe Walsh and Koeman don’t come unless they are given an indication of what possibilities they have and if it doesn’t work out one summer, you just pop it back slightly to the next window/season.

From the start of the summer I think most people could have united around the question that Everton needed to make a statement of intent. Most of what we do should be judged by that question. Has this window been a statement of intent? Different people will answer that accordingly. I am of the viewpoint of somewhat.

We haven’t as yet acquired a marquee name. Nobody we have signed gets us off our seats in a way Witsel may have done. We haven’t resembled Manchester City of even Chelsea in their first summer.

That being said we have taken Southampton’s manager, Leicester’s DOF, Swansea’s captain and Crystal Palace’s best player and may get a deal done for Sunderlands best defender. Before this season started in the eyes of many in the media, the league table and probably many perceptions in football they were our equivalents. I don’t think the previous regime did anything to challenge that. It may not be the statement we had first wanted but distinguishing ourselves from those clubs is a significant step. We should also not underestimate this, Spurs have been unable to get Berahino out of West Brom for the last 12 months (a similar situation to ourselves and some of those clubs).

Anyway to conclude (apologies for the long post) it does resemble a typical Everton window on the face of it. I do wonder if it’s such a bad thing. Under Moyes I am not sure if the recruitment was bad in as much as there wasn’t enough trading done and much of it was done without the managers willing agreement.

Koeman seems far more relaxed about the current state of affairs. It is not always about how much you spend but what quality you can attract. I think we are in a better state than what we inherited and with Koeman particularly so. If we can add some faces on top of it, in difficult circumstances and not without criticism or difficulty we may have made a promising start to a new regime.

Scheiderlin is the one I would go after. He would be a player to base a midfield around. I think with a player of his stature we could really kick on.

Going from Barry, McCarthy, Cleverley to Barry, Gueye, Schneiderlin would be such a massive improvement in the area of the pitch most games are won or lost in

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back