Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Everton Transfer Thread 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree we need more investment in the squad. And, the aim must always be to improve on what we have. Thats what makes it a little more difficult becauase finding that quality, and getting them sign up, isn't easy (as its proving). There's always a reason why we don't get our targets.
It isn't complex though mate: Stones was sold, we were told, so that wages are there for elite players. Yes, so far so good. But where are the elite players promised? They want high wages which are here for them. Moshiri and Koeman, we were told, would be the magnet.

Now if that has to be reassessed and stepped back from by the people making those claims they should clear their throats and do so if that window slams shut without significant improvement to our squad.

We have room though. We're a couple of bodies down on last season's squad so unless Koeman wants a smaller squad there should be no problem in bringing players in.

This happens to all clubs: they all have to put themselves on the line and make a move...especially those who apparently want to make a statement (remember that fanciful notion from early summer - Everton about to announce itself on the world of football again as a major player?).

With the exception of Galloway, the ones who left made less than a handful of appearances. That won't be missed. I also recall the majority in agreement that theres some great youngsters coming through who are better than ageing squad fillers. Tom Davies and Mason Holgate more than fill the 'cavernous void' left by Hibbert and Osman.

But your still arriving at a £50M net spend there to make that successful window work. It's inescapable: you have to spend these days or stand still.
Which is essentially what you would expect being linked with CL players, and having a new billionaire owner.

It is still a high amount for everton to spend in a window even if we on;y spent overall half of what we all expected.

I think the main issue this window was not signing all these boss players but essentially the issue that the next 2-3 years would be built on the back of this window. We sign the core squad now and spend less in the future, success pending. Right now, we have done excellent business, signed 4 who are all playing along side players already here, minimal disruption then in the team and all for the same as our incoming cost. But if we really are to set ourselves out from the kopites and the mid table dross then we need to spend on players who will improve the first team now, not squad fillers.

Other operating costs?

Finch Farm, Goodison, the management staff (over £10mil spent in this area with Walsh as well).

Serious (and they are serious) developments on the stadium front.

What Moshiri's investment has allowed us to do is not rely on player sales to pay off debt, pay for development of the stadium etc.

It has freed up that money to be entirely and wholly re-invested (as it should be), and I'm confident we'll end this window having spent more than we've brought in as well - we already have so far.

Stones - £40mil (we have paid off Barnsley's sell-on of £7.5m)

IN
Williams - £10mil (conservative)
Gueye and Stek - £8mil approx.
Bolasie - £25mil

So, £3mil positive so far. Not loads and I'm sure we all wanted more in by now but that doesn't change the fact that the business we have done has been impressive, and the squad look miles better and fitter overall.

It also doesn't change that just like every other club bar City and Utd we'll still be working on deals.

It isn't complex though mate: Stones was sold, we were told, so that wages are there for elite players. Yes, so far so good. But where are the elite players promised? They want high wages which are here for them. Moshiri and Koeman, we were told, would be the magnet.

Now if that has to be reassessed and stepped back from by the people making those claims they should clear their throats and do so if that window slams shut without significant improvement to our squad.

The point is Dave, we were told by @The Esk not the Club or its major shareholder. Lets be fair about this eh.

We have room though. We're a couple of bodies down on last season's squad so unless Koeman wants a smaller squad there should be no problem in bringing players in.

This happens to all clubs: they all have to put themselves on the line and make a move...especially those who apparently want to make a statement (remember that fanciful notion from early summer - Everton about to announce itself on the world of football again as a major player?).
With all due respect Dave you have been wrong about far more things than right.
You were convinced we were appointing David Weir to replace David Moyes , this forum is littered with your incorrect predictions, why not wait until after the final whistle tomorrow night and if you are proven right, then so be it, but you have no more idea than anybody else what transfer activity the club is currently involved in.

At this point I couldn't care less about incomings really. We have a decent team. Few worries if certain players get injured but OK.

I'm more concerned that Niasse, McGeads, and a few others are still lingering wasting time and money.

We have a decent team, but a paper thin squad. That's the problem.

Right now the biggest story is Remy going on loan. Everyone is pretty much done.

If you think everyone is done and theres not going to be a transfer-fest you are clearly forgetting who dictates football and its money-merrygoround. Little clue....its blue, the big yellow sun sits in it, and Jim White gets plenty of £ for his four days a year living from it.

Most elite players did not want to come here. I believe this because it's the simplest explanation that squares with available facts. I don't have to make up disinformation campaigns or secret bank loans or anything else to make it logical.

So I would say they are guilty (in the worst case, i.e. no new players are signed) of over-confidence. There would have to be a lot of things come to light to convince me that they are incompetent or dishonest (which I think is your claim?).

Only in your head. We were linked to all of them before we signed Gueye apart from maybe Adrien who I doubt we were ever after. If you read about them after Gueye it was just journalists recycling old news stories.

Witsel 'turned us down' about two weeks after we signed Gueye.

Right now the biggest story is Remy going on loan. Everyone is pretty much done.

West Brom still want to sign four players.

Hull need a squad.

Sunderland need players.

Stoke want to do business.

The RS usually panic at some point.

We're in a stronger position than a lot if not all of those sides to build from. We need a few more additions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back