Everton Transfer Thread 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
same people moaning about us signing calvert-lewin, moaned about holgate and stones too. it's yawn worthy

As if anyone moaned about us signing Stones or Holgate.
Then - as now - people were merely very disappointed that was the only business done, when it's clear much more was needed.

I think this is a product of 2 things, firstly a lot of change and competing priorities and secondly leaving everything to the last minute to get done.

I know this sounds like stating the obvious but we have changed manager, changed the man who then recruits players and changed the method of recruiting players in the last 2-3 months. It looks like we began with lad Koeman felt were top players, moved onto agreed names Koeman/Walsh had seen in the Premiership before Walsh started activating his own targets. I imagine Bony has fallen by the wayside somewhat in the confusion.

The second is the one we need to work hard on going forward. When people bed in you can only hope their won't be a repeat. You are taking a massive gamble when you go to deadline day as we are. It means you rush decisions, can miss opportunities and make wrong decisions. Martinez can and should be criticised for the Niasse deal, but as with lads like Drenthe before him some of the blame has to go on the fact that we had to finalise deals within a time frame that doesn't allow for sufficient due diligence. Mistakes like Niasse happen when you have half a day to do a deal, as opposed to a weak, where there is reflection time allowed.

I am not saying we shouldn't be active on deadline day, but not on fundamentals, it should be for a bonus. If a deal pops up that is too good to resist, if Sporting cave in over Carvalho, if Napoli see sense of Koulibaly, if Witsel has a change of heart etc. The cherry on the cake but not the fundamentals. We got lucky 3 years ago with the Fellaini out, Lukaku, McCarthy & Barry deals in and for some that has left the idea that's the way to operate. It's not, we got fortunate and it's not a recommended way to conduct business.

Going forward I'd like to see us forget the idea of "Marquee signings" that has seemed to capture large sections of the club and fan base this window. We have spent too long trying to get a statement signing in and probably neglected glaring areas that needed back up (as you say, right back, GK & CF). We have been lucky with Holgate and Stekelenberg that they have over performed but no back up striker until the last day is a risk we needn't have taken. I am not frustrated because we haven't got a marquee signing, I am frustrated because we look like we've lost sight of what was required and not finalised a deal and are putting it to chance.

The best window we have had in the last 15 years for me was when we brought in Howard, Johnson and Lescott early. It was just 3 players, but we got it done early and we hit the ground running. I do believe there is additional money and support under Moshiri and I don't put the faff on him for me it's the overhang of the Kenwright era. What needs to be done going forward though is a far clearer strategy of what we require and a more clinical approach to getting them in earlier in the window. That would be far better than wild goose chases for star names to prove a point. It has led to confusion.

There really wasn't an awful lot wrong with recruitment of the previous two managers. An odd mistake aside (for both with mitigating factors). If there's one thing money could allow us to do from that it would be get targets in without being dependant on selling players or TV money. I hope the process is simplified next window. Walsh won't be beholden to "marquee" names and nor should he be. Find the right players to fit the right gaps and do it early in a controlled manner. If we can get a star name in on top fine, but lets not lose sight of the bread and butter.
As you imply, the (very short run) form of Holgate and Stekelenburg has allowed this window to pass by without any feeling of panic for our onfield chances. However, that is a very thin straw to rest so much weight on.

You're bang on about this deadline day being used to top up rather than be everything hingeing on it. This is poor planning what we're seeing here right now.

The unfathomable dimension to this window so far is the failure to get a support striker in for Lukaku. Once it was known he was staying that should have been sorted. Koeman secured Long as a good foil for their starting striker at S'ton and - although he inherited two different types of squads - that was always a priority here...and the new working relationship with Walsh doesn't cut it as an explanation.

I believe we have no interest in Sissoko due to the fee Newcastle want, yes. As I like to believe we're not mind-numbingly stupid as a club.

NIASSE?

Agree though - Genuinely, truly hope we don't spunk 30 million beans on SISSOKO. I'd be happy gettin' a player in like, and he's - well, OK innits - but the price makes me shudder...

Hey fellas,

how are you doing?

So I decided to register myself in your forum to tell you a bit more of Brahimi. I have read some of you saying that he's not a good sign nor a good player and that you maybe don't need him -others don't even know anything about him-

Well. I been supporting him since he signed for my team, Granada CF. I couldn't believe when it happened, he came from a french team, Stade Rennais, and he wasn't playing there as he was having some problems with their coach, yeah, we signed a, theorically, problematic player, but later on we discovered that it was more like a coach problem that a player problem.

At Granada is where Brahimi started to shine, forging his own legend as he quickly became the best player of our team, every match was carried by him, no matter if we were facing Barcelona, Real Madrid or Sevilla. He would try to create some good plays even though our team was lackluster. Playing in a defensive team like our team, he managed to be the best dribbler of Europe 2014 with more succesful take-ons and the best African player.

At Porto, he did some fine seasons, even scoring ~10 goals in Champions League, which is not a tiny amount. He was (or is) also one of the best players at Porto and seems to be that now it's time for him to move, honestly, I didn't expect him to be signing for Everton (i'd prefer another team, but i really like your team, hopefully Lukaku doesn't leave) but now im so pumped out.

If you sign Brahimi, you'll sign a great player, maybe he needs to improve his pass (in that matter, he's not Özil or Modric, which can make these outstanding passes to strikers) but he's a superb player overall, incredible ball skills, honestly, it's the best dribbler i've seen. Also his finishing skills are more than decent and so are his free kick skills, he scored some beauty ones.

Well, that's it for today. Excuse my english! Tried my best, though.

Hopefully you sign him.

Take care!

Hi, mate. I do completely agree with you. I also have known Brahimi from the Spanish Liga (although I support Malaga in Spain).

He is the kind of player that gets you on the edge of your seat. It would be great if Everton can sign him.

As you imply, the (very short run) form of Holgate and Stekelenburg has allowed this window to pass by without any feeling of panic for our onfield chances. However, that is a very thin straw to rest so much weight on.

You're bang on about this deadline day being used to top up rather than be everything hingeing on it. This is poor planning what we're seeing here right now.

The unfathomable dimension to this window so far is the failure to get a support striker in for Lukaku. Once it was known he was staying that should have been sorted. Koeman secured Long as a good foil for their starting striker at S'ton and - although he inherited two different types of squads - that was always a priority here...and the new working relationship with Walsh doesn't cut it as an explanation.
No often I would agree with what u usually try to defend but u are bang on the button on this.

I believe we have no interest in Sissoko due to the fee Newcastle want, yes. As I like to believe we're not mind-numbingly stupid as a club.

Most would think £25m+ for Bolasie falls into the same bracket of stupidity.

Perhaps we just have our targets and we'll pay what it takes to get them. It's a new era in that regard; I can't see us haggling over pennies like under Moyes. But of course that opens you up to overpaying as well.

At the end of the day I just want us to sign good players. I think Sissoko is a good player, though not a £30m player and Bolasie isn't a £25m one, but I'm glad we signed Yannick and I'll enjoy watching him more than 25 million unspent pounds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back