Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Everton Transfer Thread 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, the profit from selling Stones (for sake of argument £40 million) only applies in this current year 2016/17. It has no effect on what we can spend on wages in 2017/18.

When I have time I'll calculate this years wages and show a more detailed picture.

I think the Stones aspect is the most disappointing let down of this entire window. We sold what will be a future England captain and a lad City fans are already raving about and not only that but actually dropped his asking price to accommodate City only expecting them to pay £47.5 up front in the end to replace him with Williams, Bolasie and loan a lad who West Ham fans think of as affectionately as we do Kone/Niasse.

It's clear the original plan which you outlined makes sense. It was a painful decision for all but the pain was worth it if it allowed us to bring in 5 or 6 top level players in addition to replacing him. Two new centre forwards, a box to box midfield player, a creative player, goalkeeper and a covering defender, all of a certain calibre could have been achieved had we done so. It seemed a sensible and worthwhile sacrifice.

Yet we have been left with Bolasie (who I like but on a priority of need a winger was low down) and a loanee. It is truly baffling. Worse still if we want to bring said players in next summer we will again have to find ourselves trading in another key asset to do so?

I am not sure who has made a balls up in all of this, but someone somewhere at the club has not delivered over a 3 month period. It may well be more than 1 person. When you consider what the strategy was and how it ended up, mad dashing around on deadline day to get Valencia you get a wider picture of the cost of the mistakes that have been made.

As always I appreciate the insight you have given. I anticipate your post giving your outline of where things have gone wrong. I am still in shock. I still don't get people having a go at the Esk. His insight over the Stones sale is about the only thing that keeps me sane with this window, and makes me feel we aren't just selling to buy, but that we had a bigger plan that we've just nowhere near implementing.

I just can't believe we traded Stones to allow us to spend wages, that we have then not spent. Only at Everton could we manage to do that.

So because they have a differing opinion to yours, they have nothing to contribute to a discussion?
Righto then, great way to shout down opposing voices in the name of a debate

Not so. Read my original post. Then read his reply. Then read my response. My response sets out the reasons why I believe he is wrong. To give you one example (AGAIN!). In the past we picked up great players from lesser teams, viz, Tim Cahill & Gordon West (Ray Wilson from Huddersfield, and the raft of Scottish players in the 1960s: Alex Young, Alex Scott, Alex Parker). His argument therefore does not hold water.

Do you not understand...?

We’ve just got to seriously back koeman and the squad this season, yes i am happy with the lads we have brought in but it is painful seeing us being turned down by that amount of players, either straight out or by losing out to other teams. we need a solid year behind us and to wake the world back up about EVERTON and what an exciting prospect joining us will be. top 6 finish, groundworks for the new stadium up and running and any club debts already on the mend. the window is closed and we’ve got what we’ve got so its time to back these lads and not let it happen again. Also a nice shiny cup to add to our lovely dusty trophy cabinet just to help bring some joy back to the mighty goodison

With a calmer head today it's time to reflect on the actual window as a whole, Stones leaving was a blow but we had no option really. Overall the squad is better, Williams, Bolasie and Gueye are all contributing so far. Williams is a leader which we have lacked in recent seasons. Steklenburg has held his own so far, but still baffling we never made a play for Joe Hart.

Moshiri made it clear he wanted to make a splash, this was probably a mistake, agents used us as pawns to either force their players to get improved contracts or move to other clubs. We have been linked with big players, Witzel, Mata, Carvalho, Brahimi, Koulibaly and Sissoko. How many of them did we actually show a genuine interest in??

We aimed big but fell short, yes we may have more money but every club has more, 13 clubs broke its record transfer fee this summer. The only way we will beat clubs to the Sissokos of this world is to actually qualify for Europe and start winning trophies, more importantly we have held onto Barkley and Lukaku and got rid of McGeady, Osman,Howard and Hibbert. The young players Holgate,Davies and Dowell have all made major strides and more importantly we have made a solid start to the season.

Walsh and Koeman identified players they wanted they don't look after getting them over the line. Whoever was responsible I'm sure is getting a slap on the wrist from Moshiri.

Rome wasn't built in a day, we had 16 years of frustration under Kenwright and 3 failed ground moves I can live with 6 months where we have got a good manager and improved the squad and seem to be closer to a new ground move.

NSNO

That's a good post mate. However I do worry there are some clichés there. We will only win trophies if we get player recruitment right. Unfortunately that may mean binning off the old ideas and people who have undermined that over the last 20 years.

We need a very honest discussion about who we can attract and how we attract them. We then need to start finalising deals, and finalising them far earlier.

Point number one. All fine and good about not keeping a player who doesn't want to stay. Yep. However you are stating an opinion as fact there when talking about Stones last season. A fair minded fan would take into account his age and the mess the team was in for the last two seasons. He also actually had some very good games for us, and was our best player in the cup Semi. For several games he was the main man in a defence with two youngsters with less experience than him and a newcomer to the league in Funes Mori. Being fair you would acknowledge also that young players will be prone to poor form, I would suggest the situation I describe above would also play a factor in that. As would having a transfer request turned down.

So I think you've gone in a bit haughty there and haven't taken the reasoned approach the rest of your post would seem to be asking of other posters.

Look, even Blind Pugh could see that Stones was way below his best last season. Was it not apparent that his head was elsewhere? Have you never worked IN teams and WITH teams?

Not haughty at all. Just a hard-nosed, realistic, approach to someone who wanted away and had made it abundantly clear in the summer of 2015. I have to say, I don't blame him, given the direction Martinez was taking the team and the club...

Witsel is ours, Mata will sign etc, etc...

A lot of ours so called signings were based on nothing more than media hype and jarg rumours that people got excited about mate.

Every Everton fan should know by now, that until the player is photographed in the shirt that anything can happen inbetween. Sad, but it's the way it's been for a long time.

Look, even Blind Pugh could see that Stones was way below his best last season. Was it not apparent that his head was elsewhere? Have you never worked IN teams and WITH teams?

Not haughty at all. Just a hard-nosed, realistic, approach to someone who wanted away and had made it abundantly clear in the summer of 2015. I have to say, I don't blame him, given the direction Martinez was taking the team and the club...

He had some good games, even if overall he was below his best. I didn't disagree that he was below his best.

I disagreed with your lovely fact of stating it was all down to the transfer request, and put forward some very reasonable other factors which you appear to have not touched upon for some reason :) Even your response to me again is insisting that what you think is right and should be apparent to everybody. It's a tad hypocritical given your sermon to other posters.

I have worked in teams, in sports and in the workplace. I currently manage a team...well apart from yesterday and today when I am mostly pretending to work whilst hanging out on GOT.

It's this kind of apologism for low standards that has kept this club in the doldrums for 30 years. Being satisfied with ageing short term replacements and players rejected by other teams of a similar standing and then dressing it up as progress is standard Everton defeatism. And if you can't see that then there really is nothing more I can say on the subject

Williams has a number of years left in him. He has Premiership experience, leadership experience at Prem level and international level. Perhaps you would want someone like Sakho, aged 26, instead??? (or Balotelli - c'mon, he's played for some top teams...) ;) :)

Perhaps, in the light of those who came in, you can make a case out that the likes of McGeady, Niasse & Kone are better than them? Yes? Also Cleverley & Gibson? Are you Martinez in disguise...???

You are being selective in what you choose to reply to. You ignored the point that I made that our performaces and final position in the last 2 seasons means we are having to rebuild our credibility and standing with what is classed as 'far better players' (in order to have any chance of attracting them to the club), and that will take some time.

And if you can't see that then there really is nothing more I can say on the subject (to quote you to quote me!!! :p)

I think we did an amazing job on players we brought in generally, it just wasn't enough. We needed at least 2 more in key positions and we failed to do so. Not horrible and not the worst, but a pretty bad transfer season for us.

I think it's been good mate due to the business we did but yes, short of numbers in two key areas and that is a great failing from the people at the top

He had some good games, even if overall he was below his best. I didn't disagree that he was below his best.

I disagreed with your lovely fact of stating it was all down to the transfer request, and put forward some very reasonable other factors which you appear to have not touched upon for some reason :) Even your response to me again is insisting that what you think is right and should be apparent to everybody. It's a tad hypocritical given your sermon to other posters.

I have worked in teams, in sports and in the workplace. I currently manage a team...well apart from yesterday and today when I am mostly pretending to work whilst hanging out on GOT.

A written transfer request is usually the last resport of a player who wants away, and therefore tries to force it through.

I do not wish to be in dispute with you. I think it was an example of a want-away player trying to force the club's hand. That is not a good situation for the club/team going into a new season. Surely most would have seen that...

Your last paragraph: ditto for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back