Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Everton Transfer Thread 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's a mercenary. It might be hard to accept. It might break you. It's the truth.

He's also a blue. A blue who's past it. This may also break you, but it's important to accept it.

You're wrong. You should accept it...

He's played for two clubs in his career.

1. The club he started at and his boyhood club and the club he still supports
2. One of the biggest clubs in world football, under one of the best managers in history, where he has won pretty much everything possible in the English game and in Europe, whilst playing alongside some of the best players in the world and has played at a consistent level there for 13 years

That makes him a mercenary?

By that right so is Lampard, or Shearer, for example.

State of your argument

And yes, he may be past his best. But so was Barry, who has done brilliantly for us.

Rooney's got plenty left in him, and coming back here would, I believe, get the best out of him.

You're wrong. You should accept it...

He's played for two clubs in his career.

1. The club he started at and his boyhood club and the club he still supports
2. One of the biggest clubs in world football, under one of the best managers in history, where he has won pretty much everything possible in the English game and in Europe, whilst playing alongside some of the best players in the world and has played at a consistent level there for 13 years

That makes him a mercenary?

By that right so is Lampard, or Shearer, for example.

State of your argument

And yes, he may be past his best. But so was Barry, who has done brilliantly for us.

Rooney's got plenty left in him, and coming back here would, I believe, get the best out of him.
Already done this one. His behavior over contracts makes him mercenary-ish. Held Utd ransom when Chelsea came calling.

Already done this one. His behavior over contracts makes him mercenary-ish. Held Utd ransom when Chelsea came calling.

As did Gerrard with Liverpool. As have plenty of other players and as plenty of other players will continue to do.

That doesn't make them all mercenaries.

If you were in a job that paid, say £30k a year. You're a highly valued worker and you like and get along with the people you work with and for.

You get an offer from another company, to do exactly the same job, on £40k a year. But you have never worked with those people before and you're not sure you want to move from your current job.

But, do you flat out refuse the offer, or do you not say to your current company, well let me have more money for the good job i'm dong and i'll stay.

As did Gerrard with Liverpool. As have plenty of other players and as plenty of other players will continue to do.

That doesn't make them all mercenaries.

If you were in a job that paid, say £30k a year. You're a highly valued worker and you like and get along with the people you work with and for.

You get an offer from another company, to do exactly the same job, on £40k a year. But you have never worked with those people before and you're not sure you want to move from your current job.

But, do you flat out refuse the offer, or do you not say to your current company, well let me have more money for the good job i'm dong and i'll stay.
Isn't that the definition of mercenary? Take the most beneficial job? Whether that be totally finance based or a bit of personals as you say with not knowing people in the new job. Yes it does make them mercenaries. Also the comparison to a job making 30k or 40k a year isn't really fair is it because what footballers make is grossly more and they really shouldn't be too concerned with their wage if they're in the Rooney Gerrard category as if they invest right they could easily make the "lost" income back where someone making 30k-40k can't afford to invest in say a start up that could increase their worth.

Isn't that the definition of mercenary? Take the most beneficial job? Whether that be totally finance based or a bit of personals as you say with not knowing people in the new job. Yes it does make them mercenaries. Also the comparison to a job making 30k or 40k a year isn't really fair is it because what footballers make is grossly more and they really shouldn't be too concerned with their wage if they're in the Rooney Gerrard category as if they invest right they could easily make the "lost" income back where someone making 30k-40k can't afford to invest in say a start up that could increase their worth.

But if that's the definition of a mercenary, then every footballer is. So by that logic we shouldn't sign anybody???

And the analogy is fair, and it does work on that level of comparison. I don't buy this argument that oh aren't footballers evil etc etc.

They're professionals who yes, are over-paid. But so what? They earn good money and they earn what they can in a short career.

But if that's the definition of a mercenary, then every footballer is. So by that logic we shouldn't sign anybody???

And the analogy is fair, and it does work on that level of comparison. I don't buy this argument that oh aren't footballers evil etc etc.

They're professionals who yes, are over-paid. But so what? They earn good money and they earn what they can in a short career.
Huh? You honestly think every footballer acts in the same manner? I think not.

It absolutely is not a fair analogy and doesn't work at all. The difference between 30 and 40k a year could mean a huge difference especially if they're having a family and have many bills. The only reason footballers at a prem level would get in financial trouble is simply spending on meaningless junk and overstepping their bounds. No one said the word evil either lol.

Huh? You honestly think every footballer acts in the same manner? I think not.

It absolutely is not a fair analogy and doesn't work at all. The difference between 30 and 40k a year could mean a huge difference especially if they're having a family add have many bills. The only reason footballers at a prem level would get in financial trouble is simply spending on meaningless junk and overstepping their bounds. No one said the word evil either lol.

Well, yeh, they do. Barry, for example, was quite close to joining West Ham. He joined us because we gave him more money.

And I don't buy that argument mate, I'm sorry. They have a limited career but get rewarded (rightly or wrongly) for what they are good at. It's up to the clubs at the end of the day.

United didn't have to pay Rooney that money. They could have let him leave but they didn't want to risk him going to a rival. Rooney's done nothing wrong in taking advantage of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back