Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Everton Transfer Thread 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everton transfer news: Toffees set to bring in Spain U19s star Alfonso Pedraza in the summer window
Alfonso is a powerful, direct left-winger who has impressed for Villarreal B in the Premier League International Cup
facebook.png

twitter.png

email.png

blank.gif

60-Alfonso-Pedraza-get.jpg

Alfonso Pedraza is thought to be well suited to a move to the Premier League Getty

Everton have started planning for the era under new owner Farhad Moshiri by targeting Villarreal teenager Alfonso Pedraza for a summer move.

Alfonso is a 19-year-old winger who has just broken into the first team at El Madrigal, having starred for Villarreal’s second team as well as Spain Under-19s. That Spain team won the European Under-19s Championship in Greece last year, bringing Alfonso and others to the attention of Europe’s biggest clubs. His team-mate Mikel Merino agreed a move from Osasuna to Borussia Dortmund last month.

Alfonso is a powerful, direct left-winger who is thought to be well suited to a move to the Premier League. He has impressed for Villarreal B in the Premier League International Cup, helping his side through to the semi-finals, where they will face Porto. He would probably cost Everton, who travel to Aston Villa on Tuesday evening, roughly £2m.

READ MORE
Martinez welcomes billionaire Everton investor Farhad Moshiri

Roberto Martinez said that the Moshiri investment would allow Everton to be far more ambitious. “We have to show we are ready to take the club to the next level,” the Everton manager said. “When I started at Everton our ambition was to look at the Champions League positions. The investment from Farhad Moshiri will take us to a different level in terms of being able to get there. It can accelerate the process.”

Martinez’s opposite number at Villa Park this evening, Rémi Garde, admitted that his side’s desperate plight was giving him sleepless nights. Garde has been unable to revive Villa’s fortunes since replacing Tim Sherwood as manager in November, winning just two Premier League matches.

“I am not sleeping very well, as you can guess,” said Garde. “I never relax, I am always watching football into the night. I am fully focused on that. I will try to analyse what I need to do, what I can change. I try to do my best in my position but it is difficult.”

I know it's the Independent so they may be sourced but that's just a farcial article, we don't play left wingers so why would we need one?!

it should mean we don't have to wait till transfer deadline day now though.

For me thats one of the biggest differences we could see, we won't be trying to save a few weeks wages by leaving it till deadline day every window now, gives us more chance to bed players in before the season and also gives us more chance of getting the right players in rather than end up frustrated when a deal falls through like last summer at the last minute

Yes I don't get this story. If you read up on him he's only 19, already broken in to the Villarreal first team and is a Spain U19 international tipped for a bright future.

He signed a contract extension last November and his contract runs until June 2019.

And Villarreal are happy to sell him to us for a paltry 2 million quid?

Makes zero sense that one.

Spanish clubs are skint mate (bar Real and Barca).

£2million - approx 2.7mil euros so they may be willing to take that for what is just a youth player essentially.

Agreed with all of this pretty much.

I wonder how outlandish the rumours for that left attacking player will get. Isco is being reported as available for 30-35m this summer for example.

Tbh ultimately this investment has come at a time where really it doesn't change all that much in terms of what we (as a PL club) can target in regards to the standard of player etc.

We're never going to get Isco (and I know you're just using it as an example). He's a City/United/Arsenal (still Chelsea because of the money but also London draw - though without CL not as much of a draw admittedly) type signing. We aren't just going to jump to signing genuine world class talent like that.

What we can do is stand a better chance of keeping our quality/potentially world-class players and invest in our no.1 targets - which have been for the last few years players of that 'second-tier' e.g. Payet, Yarmolenko etc etc.

For example, Payet went to West Ham and is now on circa £120k p/week (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...-player-not-demanded-wage-rise-stay-club.html). When he joined he was widely reported (and I've seen many W.Ham fans say this as well) to be on about £75k - a wage that we weren't willing to pay even though we did definitely have interest and could afford the transfer fees because of the TV money.

Now, I think this investment means that we now don't have to/shouldn't have to worry about lumping an extra £10k on a pay-package etc. I know in the grand scheme of things it's easy to say 'well we should just pay it anyway', but 10k extra per-week is over half a million extra (just on one player) over the course of a year.

Another example would be Tadic in summer 2014 when we looked set to sign him after matching Sotton's initial bid of around £10mil (I forget the exact price), only to be then gazumped by their second offer of £11.9mil total. We weren't willing to get into a bidding war with them as our main target was Lukaku.

So, without trying to get sidetracked, I'm sure there may be some far-fetched rumours but it's the players of that 'second-tier' that, for the time being anyway, are our targets and always have been really when it comes to spending the big money. Mix one or two of those signings with the smart deals like experienced players on frees (Clevs) and bringing through the youth (either through signing them or the academy) and it's the perfect mix. As RM said, all this does is accelerate the process which means that we don't have to worry as much about our best players leaving all the time.

Spurs have cracked it this year as they already had that quality base of experienced second-tier players in place (plus a genuine world class keeper) - e.g. Lloris, Dembele, Vertonghen, Lamela, Eriksen. They complimented that by getting rid of their deadwood, Poch signing and encouraging youth players (Alli, Kane, Mason, Dier, Trippier, Rose etc.) and then adding in players like Alderweireld and Son as well.

If that formula is a success (and it's the best option for us in the current landscape as it is for Spurs and W.Ham (who are helped massively by their shiny new stadium)) then it leads to being in a position - especially given new tv money etc getting more and more - that we can then make a bid for a 'world-class' player, but you have to do the squad building first.

We've got all the foundations in terms of a style of play and a system and players being moulded to play in that style - and now we've got the money to boost our chances of success (whether that is trophies or CL qualification or whatever) in the short term - which in turn of course makes the club a more attractive proposition and, combined with that set system that I believe RM is trying to implement and figures like Royle and Unsworth are buying into - increases the chances of sustaining that success for years to come.

For me thats one of the biggest differences we could see, we won't be trying to save a few weeks wages by leaving it till deadline day every window now, gives us more chance to bed players in before the season and also gives us more chance of getting the right players in rather than end up frustrated when a deal falls through like last summer at the last minute

Yep. If we are to sign 'quality' players (see my huge essay below for further detail haha :D) then I'm confident we'll now see them come in early (or as early as possible given the Euros) this summer. We'll still do some business late on I'd imagine though - stuff that isn't a priority but would help as an extra.

Yeh I think that's what the main positive is.

This summer (and even now) there is going to be/already is loads of hype about signing loads of players etc etc.

It doesn't work. Liverpool have proved that in the sense that in the last 10 years since that FA Cup win they've only gone backwards. Spurs went down the 'moneyball' route when they sold Bale and swiftly realised it didn't work.

The best policy for our club (even with this new investment) is to still target youth in terms of integrating the young players into the squad and giving them key responsibilities. However, as you correctly point out, the investment, combined with the even bigger influx of TV cash, means that we can also afford to go out and get our No.1 target(s), as well as meaning that if a big name player does leave, we will be able to (or should) have all of that money available to go back into the squad - rather than the worry of (the majority of) it disappearing.

Ideally, for me, this summer would see the following:

Stones, Rom, Barks and Del to stay/sign new deals (don't think it will happen with the first two before the Euros - wouldn't be surprised to see Barkley signed up by the end of the season).

Shift out Howard, McGeady, Gibson, Pienaar, Osman and Hibbert - though i'd look to keep both Osman and Hibbert on in a coaching/staff capacity, and I don't think it would hurt if Osman did even stay on for another year on the playing staff as long as the wages were right. I also imagine that Mirallas will leave but I believe we'll get a decent fee for him - and I think if anybody offers anything for Kone he'll be gone as well.

The priority is then getting a first choice, proven quality player for the left/advanced midfield. I'll use Yarmolenko as an example since we have so obviously had interest/bids, but it's just an example - that is the type of player I see us spending 'big' money on.

Then obviously the other priority is a goalkeeper. A lot depends on how Joel does until the end of the season. For me, he deserves his chance to shine and show he can be our first choice and the answer in the long term as well as the short term. If he does continue to improve, then we don't need to go out and pay huge fees for a goalkeeper. Butland or Forster are none-starters, to be honest, and I'm not all that sold on Begovic. Yann Sommer would be my choice if we were shopping abroad, or Handanovic from Inter. Someone of that quality is needed if Joel doesn't make the grade as first choice.

Other areas that would need addressing (depending on whether we got Europe obviously as then we'd probably need another centre back) will be a second-choice right back and potentially another forward. However, we've got Niasse and we've got Tarashaj to come in the summer.

All of the above is presuming we keep hold of both Stones and Rom. Personally, I see one of them going - though not both. The money should then be used to buy a top-class replacement(s) - but again - restrict that to two quality players rather than 5 or 6 as Spurs/the RS did/do.

Need options in Centre of the pitch

Need options in Centre of the pitch

Besic, Barry, Barkley, McCarthy, Cleverley - with the likes of Ledson coming through.

We've got more than enough there Zat.

We have the perfect no.8 (as @MoutsGoat would say) in the form of Barkley. Besic can also be that deep lying playmaker as he's so good with the ball (not Pirlo level obviously but certainly capable of being a player who is capable of an all-round midfield display - he plays that role for Bosnia extremely well).

What we need is probably another advanced midfielder to play in any of the three positions behind Rom. That means that Barkley is freed up to either play as a deeper midfield player (a No.8) or as a player who will be behind the striker (no.10) depending on the situation.

Besic, Barry, Barkley, McCarthy, Cleverley - with the likes of Ledson coming through.

We have the perfect no.8 (as @MoutsGoat would say) in the form of Barkley. Besic can also be that deep lying playmaker as he's so good with the ball (not Pirlo level obviously but certainly capable of being a player who is capable of an all-round midfield display - he plays that role for Bosnia extremely well).

What we need is probably another advanced midfielder to play in any of the three positions behind Rom. That means that Barkley is freed up to either play as a deeper midfield player (a No.8) or as a player who will be behind the striker (no.10) depending on the situation.

Cleverley is better on the left...also him playing means he takes the same positions as Barkley.

Barry is 35....what if he goes off a cliff?

ledson getting mixed reviews in the lower leagues

That leaves, McCarthy, Besic and Barkley with an unproven Tarashaj to add.

Injuries to any of those 3 and goodnight vienna.

Given the pursuit of Yarmolenko even after aquiring Deulofeu, makes me have a notion that if Barkley does get moved back deeper does he see Deulofeu as long term that player behind the front man, either that or did he plan to use Yarmolenko dropped off?

Given the fact we have been after him for a few windows now then seems to be somethign that could have been the idea behind gettign him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back