Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Everton Transfer Thread 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
Besic, Barry, Barkley, McCarthy, Cleverley - with the likes of Ledson coming through.

We've got more than enough there Zat.

We have the perfect no.8 (as @MoutsGoat would say) in the form of Barkley. Besic can also be that deep lying playmaker as he's so good with the ball (not Pirlo level obviously but certainly capable of being a player who is capable of an all-round midfield display - he plays that role for Bosnia extremely well).

What we need is probably another advanced midfielder to play in any of the three positions behind Rom. That means that Barkley is freed up to either play as a deeper midfield player (a No.8) or as a player who will be behind the striker (no.10) depending on the situation.

Given the pursuit of Yarmolenko even after aquiring Deulofeu, makes me have a notion that if Barkley does get moved back deeper does he see Deulofeu as long term that player behind the front man, either that or did he plan to use Yarmolenko dropped off?

Given the fact we have been after him for a few windows now then seems to be somethign that could have been the idea behind gettign him

Besic, Barry, Barkley, McCarthy, Cleverley - with the likes of Ledson coming through.

We've got more than enough there Zat.

We have the perfect no.8 (as @MoutsGoat would say) in the form of Barkley. Besic can also be that deep lying playmaker as he's so good with the ball (not Pirlo level obviously but certainly capable of being a player who is capable of an all-round midfield display - he plays that role for Bosnia extremely well).

What we need is probably another advanced midfielder to play in any of the three positions behind Rom. That means that Barkley is freed up to either play as a deeper midfield player (a No.8) or as a player who will be behind the striker (no.10) depending on the situation.

Given the pursuit of Yarmolenko even after aquiring Deulofeu, makes me have a notion that if Barkley does get moved back deeper does he see Deulofeu as long term that player behind the front man, either that or did he plan to use Yarmolenko dropped off?

Given the fact we have been after him for a few windows now then seems to be somethign that could have been the idea behind gettign him

Cleverley is better on the left...also him playing means he takes the same positions as Barkley.

Barry is 35....what if he goes off a cliff?

ledson getting mixed reviews in the lower leagues

That leaves, McCarthy, Besic and Barkley with an unproven Tarashaj to add.

Injuries to any of those 3 and goodnight vienna.

Zat mate, Besic and McCarthy and Barkley (dropped deeper) in the centre, an aging Barry who would feature less but maybe be prolonged by playing less would give us the depth required for 2 positions, possibly Baines being tried out again in the 'Lahm' role

Deulofeu, Yarmolenko, Tarashaj and NAise who could all play eithe rup front or off the front man, Del, Lennon and Yarms who can play right, Cleverley, Naisse who can play left, we are really only the obvious signing from havign enough players to fill out the midfield well, maybe a new left wigner somewhere down the line

Zat mate, Besic and McCarthy and Barkley (dropped deeper) in the centre, an aging Barry who would feature less but maybe be prolonged by playing less would give us the depth required for 2 positions, possibly Baines being tried out again in the 'Lahm' role

Deulofeu, Yarmolenko, Tarashaj and NAise who could all play eithe rup front or off the front man, Del, Lennon and Yarms who can play right, Cleverley, Naisse who can play left, we are really only the obvious signing from havign enough players to fill out the midfield well, maybe a new left wigner somewhere down the line

So, basically if Besic gets injured we play McCarthy out of position in CM again?

If Barkley has to move back then we "try out" Deulofeu (never played there), Tarashaj (new to league),Yarmolenko (no idea if hes been a number 10) or Niasse (doesnt appear to me to be an ACM?)....

Looks like a bit of a disaster waiting to happen.

Personally....

LW -- Yarmolenko / Cleverley
DM -- McCarthy / Barry
CM -- Besic / New player
ACM -- Barkley / Tarashaj
RW -- Deulofeu / Lennon
CF - Lukaku / Niasse

Two players for each position.

Sign Yarnolenko + a CM and if possible another player to take over from Barry over the course of a season...mentored by him.

Otherwise square pegs in round holes...

Cleverley is better on the left...also him playing means he takes the same positions as Barkley.

Barry is 35....what if he goes off a cliff?

ledson getting mixed reviews in the lower leagues

That leaves, McCarthy, Besic and Barkley with an unproven Tarashaj to add.

Injuries to any of those 3 and goodnight vienna.

Cleverley is better left mate I agree, but he's an option for the centre and that's why he's so valuable because of his versatility.

Barry has shown no signs of it, and if he does we've got Besic and McCarthy and Barkley to fill in.

Yes injuries, but injuries happen and that's why you have versatile players of the likes of Cleverley who can fill in. I also feel we may start to see more of Baines in central midfield as well.

There's definitely other areas that need strengthening before central midfield.

So, basically if Besic gets injured we play McCarthy out of position in CM again?

If Barkley has to move back then we "try out" Deulofeu (never played there), Tarashaj (new to league),Yarmolenko (no idea if hes been a number 10) or Niasse (doesnt appear to me to be an ACM?)....

Looks like a bit of a disaster waiting to happen.

Personally....

LW -- Yarmolenko / Cleverley
DM -- McCarthy / Barry
CM -- Besic / New player
ACM -- Barkley / Tarashaj
RW -- Deulofeu / Lennon
CF - Lukaku / Niasse

Two players for each position.

Sign Yarnolenko + a CM and if possible another player to take over from Barry over the course of a season...mentored by him.

Otherwise square pegs in round holes...

But we play with two defensive mids Zat. We don't really play with a 'DM' and a 'CM'. McCarthy, Barry and Besic are all players who play deeper but offer different things.

Not including Gibbo as he looks to be off...

Barry - the experienced head with a fantastic reading of the game and ability to be in the right place at the right time to start our attacks.
McCarthy - more of a player capable of nipping in and breaking up play, then giving it to players better on the ball than him. What he does do well is when he is allowed to get on the front foot he gets on the ball in dangerous areas and does have an eye for a neat, sharp pass.
Besic - kind of combines the best of the two in a lot of senses, but has a lot to learn even still.

Other options for that 'CM' (box to box no.8 player) are Barkley (what we all presume he will eventually become) and Cleverley, who likes to get forward and has that Man United sense for a forward, incisive pass. We then also have the possibility of Baines being moved there.

A lot depends if we switch systems but, assuming we won't, that is more than enough players to handle a season to fill two positions. I'm not saying I'd turn a decent centre mid down if I was us and they were available, but there's definitely other areas that need strengthening, which in turn free up players to be moved around if needed (e.g. getting in a player capable of playing RW/no.10/LW gives us the option to drop Barkley deeper).

I've got nothing wrong with your opinion mate I just don't agree with it. You seem to love the idea of having two players for all these positions but in reality it doesn't work like that unless you've got a sustained European Campaign (or wishing to mount one).

But we play with two defensive mids Zat. We don't really play with a 'DM' and a 'CM'. McCarthy, Barry and Besic are all players who play deeper but offer different things.

Not including Gibbo as he looks to be off...

Barry - the experienced head with a fantastic reading of the game and ability to be in the right place at the right time to start our attacks.
McCarthy - more of a player capable of nipping in and breaking up play, then giving it to players better on the ball than him. What he does do well is when he is allowed to get on the front foot he gets on the ball in dangerous areas and does have an eye for a neat, sharp pass.
Besic - kind of combines the best of the two in a lot of senses, but has a lot to learn even still.

Other options for that 'CM' (box to box no.8 player) are Barkley (what we all presume he will eventually become) and Cleverley, who likes to get forward and has that Man United sense for a forward, incisive pass. We then also have the possibility of Baines being moved there.

A lot depends if we switch systems but, assuming we won't, that is more than enough players to handle a season to fill two positions. I'm not saying I'd turn a decent centre mid down if I was us and they were available, but there's definitely other areas that need strengthening, which in turn free up players to be moved around if needed (e.g. getting in a player capable of playing RW/no.10/LW gives us the option to drop Barkley deeper).

I've got nothing wrong with your opinion mate I just don't agree with it. You seem to love the idea of having two players for all these positions but in reality it doesn't work like that unless you've got a sustained European Campaign (or wishing to mount one).

Without European football a big squad of talented players is a disaster waiting to happen as you will just end up with half a squad of players pissed off they aren't playing, it's why so many managers these days value those versatile players who can play 2-3-4 different positions as it enables them to overall have a smaller squad whilst covering positional depth.

A player who can only play one position well has to be seriously talented to be in these teams, it's what i was trying to get through to @Zatara before, Deulofeu will get tried out centrally as it gives the manager much more options not only on how to use him - but also if he can play centrally or on the left well then it opens up bringing a player who maybe is a great right sided player as well. Barkley playing deeper opens up bringing in a creative off the striker player who maybe is available, Baines playing in dm would open up space for Oviedo to play or Galloway etc etc etc

Without European football a big squad of talented players is a disaster waiting to happen as you will just end up with half a squad of players pissed off they aren't playing, it's why so many managers these days value those versatile players who can play 2-3-4 different positions as it enables them to overall have a smaller squad whilst covering positional depth.

A player who can only play one position well has to be seriously talented to be in these teams, it's what i was trying to get through to @Zatara before, Deulofeu will get tried out centrally as it gives the manager much more options not only on how to use him - but also if he can play centrally or on the left well then it opens up bringing a player who maybe is a great right sided player as well. Barkley playing deeper opens up bringing in a creative off the striker player who maybe is available, Baines playing in dm would open up space for Oviedo to play or Galloway etc etc etc

Yep.

Don't think there's anything wrong with what Zat is saying per-say, but it's just not what we need.

We don't need loads of players - it's the wrong way to go and just ends up resulting in a huge wage bill. We need quality, versatile players. That's the way to go.

Yep.

Don't think there's anything wrong with what Zat is saying per-say, but it's just not what we need.

We don't need loads of players - it's the wrong way to go and just ends up resulting in a huge wage bill. We need quality, versatile players. That's the way to go.

What Zat wants whilst not wrong is way down the line, it's the type of thing that clubs who constantly reach the tail end of every competition including the CL aspire to have, and not even the majority of those have as much depth as he wants though mate.

Could argue that both the rs and pre pocch spurs had those type of squads and it showed it isnt neccesarily the best way to go.

The squad size we have right now is about the right size, 'maybe' even slightly too big, the problem with it is we have too many of that squad who are either finished, injury prone or not good enough

Yep.

What Zat wants whilst not wrong is way down the line, it's the type of thing that clubs who constantly reach the tail end of every competition including the CL aspire to have, and not even the majority of those have as much depth as he wants though mate.

Could argue that both the rs and pre pocch spurs had those type of squads and it showed it isnt neccesarily the best way to go.

The squad size we have right now is about the right size, 'maybe' even slightly too big, the problem with it is we have too many of that squad who are either finished, injury prone or not good enough

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back