Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Everton Transfer Thread 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just don't think they thought he was quite right for us, he's a good keeper but has mistakes in him much like Stones, he just wouldn't have been value for money. Also I think they have been very surprised by Stek and I'm more than happy to go with him for the season.

I am happy for Stekelenburg to be given a chance, personally I think it's his last chance of saving his career and he likes Ron Koeman and is blending well with the squad it looks like from the outside.

Another possibility is Hart has a bit of an Ego for what I can tell and him being here could upset the dressing room.

Not sure it's all as grim as people are saying, we have a much better manager, a vision a stronger squad and first team, swerved Sissoko for triple his value, and haven't really spent any money. Probably wise, when we grow our reputation (which I expect we will this season) then next season we may get some of these Hollywood deals that we've been linked with this summer

Owners have long since invested in their own clubs via equity so that they can gain an advantage in the transfer market. We clearly need to do this if we want to progress beyond midtable. It has been claimed that this is what was going to happen under Moshiri, but it hasn't, and it looks like we will be operating in the same circumstances as we were under Kenwright. The same circumstances that prevent us from competing with the big clubs.

This is why we need a new Stadium pronto to help increase our commercial deals, which are pathetic to say the least. The big clubs can spend all year round because of their huge commercial income 24/7, whereas we have to wait for the Sky Money, a Sale or Turnstile income to begin spending large sums.

At the start of last season it was said Martinez had the best Everton squad in years he may even get 4th so what was that all about then?, Koeman inherited Jags,Coleman,Barry,Mcarthey,Barkley,Lukaku,Mirallas,Deloufeu,Baines,Mor which are the better ones, plus the half decent squad players Cleverly,Besic,Ovideo,Lennon,Robles plus a few decent youngsters they are all good players it wasn't a bad bunch to inherit better than Martinez inherited.
If Martinez had one thing, it was the gift of the gab.

Wouldn't categorise Clev as a half decent player imo.

The squad as a whole, needed a massive reshuffle and we did about half of it!

This is why we need a new Stadium pronto to help increase our commercial deals, which are pathetic to say the least. The big clubs can spend all year round because of their huge commercial income 24/7, whereas we have to wait for the Sky Money, a Sale or Turnstile income to begin spending large sums.

would you swap a huge income to have the Tesco stadium? Or the Asda stadium? Disney Arena, Giffgaff arena, chang bowl? etc

what i am getting at, sell the name of it for the highest bidder?

If Martinez had one thing, it was the gift of the gab.

Wouldn't categorise Clev as a half decent player imo.

The squad as a whole, needed a massive reshuffle and we did about half of it!

How many champions league clubs would

Lennon Joel McCarthy on present form, Oviedo, Baines, Jags, Steklenberg, Tommy clev, Gibson, Kone, Niasse get into?

There is everyone's anwser. We'd seriously over achieve if we got top 5.

How many champions league clubs would

Lennon Joel McCarthy on present form, Oviedo, Baines, Jags, Steklenberg, Tommy clev, Gibson, Kone, Niasse get into?

There is everyone's anwser. We'd seriously over achieve if we got top 5.
To be fair, Jags is still playing well enough to be more than a solid defender imo - and Stek is proving his worth albeit only having been a few games in.

The rest is spot on though.

Re-posting some of the thoughts I posted yesterday, during the frenzied posting storm on the deadline thread:
This has been a window based solely upon a barrel load of assumptions:

1: The apparent size of the war chest that Mr Moshiri was bringing to the club.
2: That all the top players targeted would jump at the chance of joining our great club.
3: A team that finished 11th and no CL footy could still attract a top player if enough money was thrown at them.
4: Everything the ITKs said was gospel.
5: After years of disappointments, broken hopes and promises, we finally have a new owner, a sound manager, a DOF and a really good chance of a new stadium, so it goes without saying we should get a nice shiny new team of CL champs this summer.

The reality is, we are still playing catch-up. We are not there yet.

The assumptions I have listed above are not all bad or ludicrous, and not that unrealistic for a club that pertains to have ambition. The disappointment for me is the lack of one single signing that says "The giant is waking", (yes, there is still time, like a few hours I suppose for some as yet unseen signing to surface). So far though, the message seems to be, "We tried to go for the big guns, but failed, and so we will soldier on with what we have, and patch over a few holes here and there with whoever we can get."

Time will tell if that was a good strategy, but all we can do is hope the real ITKs actually KNOW what they are doing.
I still believe we have a great team, and that it is stronger than last season, (at least proving to be so far). So, I refuse to let this window spoil my hopes for the future.

Still feel the same way in the aftermath. As windows go, it was not the worst in our history. It only feels so bad because our great expectations were shot down by a dose of underwhelming mediocrity. "This was supposed to be the defining window", they cry, "A show of ambitious intent". Instead, we got the "business as usual", the "Everton way", the "same old, same old".

A lot of people will say it feels like a game from last season, should have won 3-0 but end up losing 3-4 in injury time! It's what we do, right? We are Everton.

Wrong! Put your heads back on, and stop whining about woulda, coulda, shoulda. Lets see what Koeman can do with this team. Lets see where we are by the New Year, before we start drowning our sorrows in bleach and condemning the team before we've even played half a dozen games.
If its all mammary glands up by Christmas, then we can expect some big spending in the January window (although, it may still be hard to attract the big shots).
Interesting times ahead, but I real do believe it will be a lot, lot better than the last couple of seasons.

Sorry for the long post.

To be fair, Jags is still playing well enough to be more than a solid defender imo - and Stek is proving his worth albeit only having been a few games in.

The rest is spot on though.

I love Jags, and he loves Everton. He is one of our own. Point being if Chelsea had the choice of Bonnuci or Terry who do you think they would choose.

Being sentimental gets us nowhere if a better player wants to come in and play for us go for it.

Stekelenburg been good so far but hope keeps it up.

Baines in my opinion is finished.

I love Jags, and he loves Everton. He is one of our own. Point being if Chelsea had the choice of Bonnuci or Terry who do you think they would choose.

Being sentimental gets us nowhere if a better player wants to come in and play for us go for it.

Truth be told Baines is playing nowhere near the level we expected of him some years ago.

He certainly looks a shadow of the player he was two years ago. Did Martinez ruin him, or was it the injuries? Probably a mixture of the both. The lad needs more confidence in himself and to find a left midfielder to work in tandem with like he did with Pienaar. I think he'll be back up from next season with our Bainer.

Turnstile income isn't why the Manchester clubs can spend like they do, it's their sponsorship deals.

He certainly looks a shadow of the player he was two years ago. Did Martinez ruin him, or was it the injuries? Probably a mixture of the both. The lad needs more confidence in himself and to find a left midfielder to work in tandem with like he did with Pienaar. I think he'll be back up from next season with our Bainer.
Injury for me, he's never been that good at defending anyway - Martinez if anything should have enhanced his attacking prowess however it's just gone backwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back