Everton Transfer Thread - Summer 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

I wouldn't mind Thiago Silva if Gabs is off.

But they're in no way similar other than the fact they're both defenders.

Gabriel is 22. Left-footed, quick, strong and decent on the ball.

Thiago Silva is 36 next month. He's right footed. Yes, he has been a world class defender and obviously would improve that area for a year but in terms of what we actually need he's not the profile at all.

If Gabriel doesn't come, then we have to be looking at a player in a similar mold.

But they're in no way similar other than the fact they're both defenders.

Gabriel is 22. Left-footed, quick, strong and decent on the ball.

Thiago Silva is 36 next month. He's right footed. Yes, he has been a world class defender and obviously would improve that area for a year but in terms of what we actually need he's not the profile at all.

If Gabriel doesn't come, then we have to be looking at a player in a similar mold.

and if there isnt one? or the next target isnt available for another year? One of the best defenders in the world, who is absolutely fine playing in a high line, wouldnt be a bad choice for a year or two?

and if there isnt one? or the next target isnt available for another year? One of the best defenders in the world, who is absolutely fine playing in a high line, wouldnt be a bad choice for a year or two?

Think of the wages, for one. We're meant to be cutting costs, especially on older players (ffs, people are moaning Allan is too old at 29).

Is he absolutely fine playing in a high line? Well, yes and no. I watch a ton of PSG for work. He has Marquinhos (one of the best 5 CBs in world football probably) or Kimpembe (not the best, but very quick) next to him most of the time to do the running. He often gets caught out – he was run ragged the other day by Atalanta in the first half.

There is, 100%, more CBs of the mold of Gabriel out there that would be available. And we should (and I'm not convinced we do, btw) have several options lined up - i.e., pick a profile of the player you need and stick to it. Not go for one type and end up with a completely different player coming in (as we saw with Iwobi and Zaha last year).

Look, if Carlo wanted Silva in for a year or two and we were in a position to pay the wages and he'd be the old head, then so be it. But it feels like a route we've gone down before with little success, and he's not the type of player we really need there right now, especially when we have other areas of the pitch that need urgently addressing (i.e. if we need to pay an extra £5m to Napoli to get Allan in as opposed to giving that £5m to a 36-year-old Silva in wages (£100k per-week ish) then surely that's better to do right now?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back