Everton Transfer Thread - Summer 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well if we have offered 25 and they want 35 then its obvious to everyone what will happen, we will meet at 35.

No Brands will play the waiting game to get a better deal.

Welcome Allan on deadline day for £45m and £200k a week with Everton in the relegation zone.

Weston McKennie

Latest name linked

We've been linked before, but seen a price mentioned today of £22.5m, linked with Southampton, West Ham and Newcastle as well, so sounds to me like an agent trying to drum up business. He might be a cheaper option that Doucoure if Watford are wanting £30m plus for him.

Hot take...Keane is better on the ball than Mina.
Nah, Mina naturally looks a bit ungainly but that doesn’t change the fact that he’s superior to Keane on the ball - better carrying it out and a better passer.
Weston McKennie

Latest name linked
Reckon that’d be a Doucoure alternative, got a surprising amount of experience considering he’s still only 21.

Looks like Chelsea have signed the young French CB, might further strengthen the Tomori loan case.

If we can get him on loan with option to buy, and have Branthwaite go on loan to Watford as part of the Doucoure deal, then that would be really good business in my eyes.

Im not sure how you can say we are "building a solid foundation" when you sign a 29 and 27 year old.

A foundation would be something long term which (as i wrote) is not Allan, Doucoure, Sigurdsson, Besic, Gomes or Davies. Also at things stand probably not Gbamin either through no fault of his own.

In 2 years time most of those players will have left the club and in 3 years we will be looking at (or already have) replacements.

Thats what you call a 2-3 year stopgap.

I consider myself to be quite an open minded person.

How has Keane improved under Ancelotti? Hes always been relatively effective in a deep defence so i assume you mean hes improved in a high line? Or playing out from the back? His mobility? Something else?

Any examples or thoughts on that?

Yes, only Holgate and Digne can play anything other than a deeper sitting defence.

I highlighted Branthwaite as someone who may also be able to cope with a high line (note 'may') but weve not seen enough of him yet. Also possibly Nkounkou so perhaps both the left backs.

As i initially highlighted, ideally we would need a new rapid RB then we may be able to have Mina there alongside Holgate as we would have 3 players with pace. Though as i wrote, Tomori would be a decent shout because hes rapid and could easily play a high line.

Furnishing Keane with a new contract seems to be a sign that we will be going very defensive and deep though.

So looks like Allan / Doucoure then add in the yards in midfield allowing us to be hard to break down.

Concern would be how we actually get up the pitch lol
I think CA is a conservative manager who likes a solid team built on a solid defence
Anybody thinking we will be copying the style of City or Liverpool are very wrong in my opinion.
We will defend quite deep, have a solid midfield in front .
I think holgate, Keane,Allan,Ducoure(if he can sign them) and DCL or Kean will form a strong physical spine down the middle of the team allowing more skilful players like Digne and Richarlison more space to play.

Doucoure just seems like a disaster Steve Walsh signing.

Sign absolute proven quality like Allan, plus someone like McKennie (21 years old) as well. Not a 28 year old who we will not be able to sell if he bombs.

Looks like Chelsea have signed the young French CB, might further strengthen the Tomori loan case.

If we can get him on loan with option to buy, and have Branthwaite go on loan to Watford as part of the Doucoure deal, then that would be really good business in my eyes.

If we get Tomori without a option to buy, it would be criminal in my opinion. No interest in developing him for Chelsea.

I wonder if we where in for Sarr, unless the finances where mental, free transfer which could be sold for profit in a few years. would have made sense, left footed too I believe. He probably looked at what Chelsea where doing and picked them over others, but could have made more sense than just developing another player.

If we get Tomori without a option to buy, it would be criminal in my opinion. No interest in developing him for Chelsea.

I wonder if we where in for Sarr, unless the finances where mental, free transfer which could be sold for profit in a few years. would have made sense, left footed too I believe. He probably looked at what Chelsea where doing and picked them over others, but could have made more sense than just developing another player.
I heard some French guy on the radio the other day saying that Sarr is probably not ready for PL football just yet and he was expecting Chelsea to loan him back out somewhere straight away.

The team doesnt have a "half-decent midfield" youre right, it also doesnt have a defence which isnt so much the sum of its parts but as strong as the weakest link. Thats evidenced by Coleman and/Sidibe + Keane being targeted by opposition players each match.

Ive not seen any evidence to show that Keane/Mina can be a successful partnership. Neither player looks comfortable on the left and neither are vocal nor positive playing out from the back as Ancelotti seems to favour.

The only reliable players who tick those boxes seem to be Holgate (better on the right) and Branthwaite (still young) with possibly Gibson to take into account as well. I also dont think Holgate is "average" in our squad, hes head and shoulders above Mina and to compare him with Keane would be like comparing Koeman and Kendall.

Hypothetically though, lets say we did go with your suggestion of Keane + Mina + Digne + a new right back all in a "low defensive line".

We then add in Allan + Doucoure + a winger (as you wrote) in midfield. The starting position of that midfield almost certainly would need to be sat within our half of the pitch.

Thats the drawback of a lack of defensive pace.

The forwards would also then need to be deep or isolated (which is why teams used to use this tactic and play long ball OR a very slow buildup to move up the pitch). So this negates the threat of the forwards and almost sets up like Burnley but with better forwards.

If it was me, i would sell Keane + sign a carbon copy of Gabriel (or even Tomori on loan as hes rapid) then bring in a right back with pace (Emerson/Aarons).

Those 2 signings would mean we could actually play a VERY high line halfway up the pitch as we know our defenders are faster than most forwards. The amount of offsides would be much higher and in turn, our midfielders would be in the opposition half.

For me, i would have gone Gabriel (LCB) Emerson (RB) Guimaraes (DM) Sarr (RW) or similar. All young high potential positive signings to continue the rebuild of the team.

Allan is top quality and Doucoure adds energy and goals BUT neither of them are more than a 3 year stopgap.

Seeing us sign those 2 and Arias is almost like a 'pause' in the rebuild and we would really need to focus on u21 players to develop for a spend of £70+mil on stopgaps to be worthwhile.

All fair points and maybe your theory is becoming reality with Timori as a loanee. Something, incidentally, I do not get as we have Holgate who is just as a good and Timori playing still means that Mina or Keane must start because someone has to head that round thing.

But with limited resources the ship has be fixed first where it leaks. And that is in midfield - the chance of last season's nightmare being repeated has to end, and then, after sorting that, we have to add pace, goals and skill upfront.

I think CA is a conservative manager who likes a solid team built on a solid defence
Anybody thinking we will be copying the style of City or Liverpool are very wrong in my opinion.
We will defend quite deep, have a solid midfield in front .
I think holgate, Keane,Allan,Ducoure(if he can sign them) and DCL or Kean will form a strong physical spine down the middle of the team allowing more skilful players like Digne and Richarlison more space to play.

I sense that too. I see a lot about a high line, but we haven't used it yet, and I don't see us starting to use it any time soon. I do like Tomori though, and while he wouldn't be top priority, on a season loan could be quute a smart signing,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back