Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Everton Transfer Thread - Summer 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
pretty sure Woodward has made several comments recently about united being in a position to spend mega money next window

I think there's been some bluster from Woodward initially. However I saw a report in The Times saying they could now no longer afford the package for Harry Kane. I'll be frank, I think there is a risk they lose a lot of sponsors through this, and revenue is massively down when football isn't on. Thats before the Glazers loss of revenue kicks in.

My advice would be wait and see. They are ostensibly the richest and best run club in the league, with the biggest cals reserves. However I don't see them spending masses of money. We will see though.

No chance on Bolasie, mate. I still maintain he was decent before that bad injury he got in Koeman's first season, very pacey and direct despite being brainless, had something to offer the side. However, that knee injury has completely nullified that explosive pace he has so literally has nothing to offer any PL team never mind one with European aspirations.
I am not so sure about that. I think CA will probably bring him back to at least have a look at him and maybe others as well.
I think it will be hard to move players on, specially people like Bolasie who is on a big contract and given that we are losing millions every week I think it is far from certain that we will be over using the cheque book this summer.

I think there's been some bluster from Woodward initially. However I saw a report in The Times saying they could now no longer afford the package for Harry Kane. I'll be frank, I think there is a risk they lose a lot of sponsors through this, and revenue is massively down when football isn't on. Thats before the Glazers loss of revenue kicks in.

My advice would be wait and see. They are ostensibly the richest and best run club in the league, with the biggest cals reserves. However I don't see them spending masses of money. We will see though.
They're United though. If they lose sponsors there'll be a load of other companies who'll be willing to step in and take over. The lower down the list you go, the less true that is.

I am not so sure about that. I think CA will probably bring him back to at least have a look at him and maybe others as well.
I think it will be hard to move players on, specially people like Bolasie who is on a big contract and given that we are losing millions every week I think it is far from certain that we will be over using the cheque book this summer.
Not saying you're wrong here, but I think Ancelotti and Brands will lose a lot of the goodwill they currently have if we revert to picking people like Bolasie, Tosun etc who the fans have seen enough of. Even if we can't spend, I think most fans would prefer we look for creative solutions and utilise the younger players than go cap in hand back to players who've already shown they're not good enough.

They're United though. If they lose sponsors there'll be a load of other companies who'll be willing to step in and take over. The lower down the list you go, the less true that is.

Well I think there's a couple of points here. Yes probably people would step in, but the idea they are prepared to step in, at the same level as before, in the midst of an enormous recession, potentially depression is just not the case. Discretionary spending (and the sponsoring of discretionary spending) is going to be really hit.

British crude oil is currently trading at $16 dollars. people felt it impossible it could ever get anywhere near $20 a decade ago, and thats just from a market on the other side of the world being flooded. This will not be business as normal.

In relation to other clubs, yes, there will be a knock on affect, and clubs lower down will find it harder. However if you lose 50% of 100 that is obviously far more damaging than 85% of 5.

They are very exposed. If I am say Nike, and I know United are after a kit sponsor, I will consider it, but really on the proviso it is much much lower than previous figures. I would open up at maybe 35% of what I would have done 2 months ago and see where it leads me.

Not saying you're wrong here, but I think Ancelotti and Brands will lose a lot of the goodwill they currently have if we revert to picking people like Bolasie, Tosun etc who the fans have seen enough of. Even if we can't spend, I think most fans would prefer we look for creative solutions and utilise the younger players than go cap in hand back to players who've already shown they're not good enough.

What I hope we see, and it's certainly optimistic currently but I would not say out of the realm of possibility is clubs being able to reduce pay and terminate agreements. I think an agreement where clubs can knock off upwards of 30% of wages for players but the agreement being if they do the player has the right to break the contract would be ideal.

It seems very far fetched, but what you realise about the financial management of the economy, especially in moments of crisis is it's a massive blag really. Behind all the fancy legality, it's a massive blag. If business or a sector is about to go bust, rules around all sorts of things get loosened. I could see this potential emerging if clubs get desperate.

It would work really well, and it would help lots of clubs out who want people off their books. Thats what I hope for anyway, essentially we can downgrade your Bolasie's contracts by 30% and best case they take the bait and tear them up.

Well I think there's a couple of points here. Yes probably people would step in, but the idea they are prepared to step in, at the same level as before, in the midst of an enormous recession, potentially depression is just not the case. Discretionary spending (and the sponsoring of discretionary spending) is going to be really hit.

British crude oil is currently trading at $16 dollars. people felt it impossible it could ever get anywhere near $20 a decade ago, and thats just from a market on the other side of the world being flooded. This will not be business as normal.

In relation to other clubs, yes, there will be a knock on affect, and clubs lower down will find it harder. However if you lose 50% of 100 that is obviously far more damaging than 85% of 5.

They are very exposed. If I am say Nike, and I know United are after a kit sponsor, I will consider it, but really on the proviso it is much much lower than previous figures. I would open up at maybe 35% of what I would have done 2 months ago and see where it leads me.
You're talking about it as if football would remain in a bubble with its own finances though, when the chances are that wouldn't happen. If all the companies who offer sponsorship are affected, football's finances will be affected in the same way. So in relative terms United would still be in a better position to spend than most. If Kane was going to cost £120m he might now only cost £60m, so losing 50% of their sponsorship is offset by paying 50% less for the player. If prices all go down, it won't mean a more level playing field, it will just be a return to the days when £30m bought you a great player, and United used to do it a lot more than everyone else.

You're talking about it as if football would remain in a bubble with its own finances though, when the chances are that wouldn't happen. If all the companies who offer sponsorship are affected, football's finances will be affected in the same way. So in relative terms United would still be in a better position to spend than most. If Kane was going to cost £120m he might now only cost £60m, so losing 50% of their sponsorship is offset by paying 50% less for the player. If prices all go down, it won't mean a more level playing field, it will just be a return to the days when £30m bought you a great player, and United used to do it a lot more than everyone else.

Thats a fair point, but in fairness I absolutely do not see that at all. I have 3 posts on the main page each outlining we are in for a massive decline in spending in football (far beyond the decline I see in the wider economy as it happens). I think, being conservative we may see a decline in prices of 55% This is a cautious estimate.

The fall out from the is uneven though. I don't think you can view a recession, that every club just contracts at the same speed and we stay where we are. For a starting point expenditure on wages sows little sign of coming down. Clubs are battling to get a single year reduction of around 12%. That means clubs with higher wage bills are really exposed.

As I've said previously too, while all clubs will lose sponsorships, most clubs (outside of 6) are not highly dependant upon it. A collapse of the TV would theoretically impact all clubs equally, but in reality for the 14 other clubs, as a proportion, a loss of TV revenue would affect us far more.

That is what startled me with the reports of a club losing £9m a year. I had presumed sponsorships would hold out reasonably well, that is wholly wrong. When you factor in the large wage bills at play, I suspect United could lose upwards of £150m by June.

So I mean the instincts of what you say are right, but the level of exposure is completely different.

What I hope we see, and it's certainly optimistic currently but I would not say out of the realm of possibility is clubs being able to reduce pay and terminate agreements. I think an agreement where clubs can knock off upwards of 30% of wages for players but the agreement being if they do the player has the right to break the contract would be ideal.

It seems very far fetched, but what you realise about the financial management of the economy, especially in moments of crisis is it's a massive blag really. Behind all the fancy legality, it's a massive blag. If business or a sector is about to go bust, rules around all sorts of things get loosened. I could see this potential emerging if clubs get desperate.

It would work really well, and it would help lots of clubs out who want people off their books. Thats what I hope for anyway, essentially we can downgrade your Bolasie's contracts by 30% and best case they take the bait and tear them up.
Interesting mate that you brought up the business sector in your post. I also think we’ll see a downgrading of the money paid to clubs via shirt sponsership. Due to lockdown very few big businesses revenue are the same as before the lockdown was enforced I’d suggest. How can companies continue to maintain current sponsorship levels in the present climate, when so many people have lost their jobs particularly in the states.

He's got a good delivery on him, Kenny, remember him being decent at defending crosses himself. He'll never be a world beater but reckon Carlo could make him a solid PL fullback and let us focus our budget on more key areas.

I agree but think if he's sold, he's pretty much house money vs FFP calculations – home-grown, not a massive contract etc

It's an under the radar decision for us this summer imo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back