Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Everton Transfer Thread - Summer 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting response and lots of worthy points. I'll try to take each one. I should say, I am not in the "don't sign Sarr" camp, i'm on the fence really, but would obviously be delighted if we took the plunge.

He played around 860 in the Prem. As you say it's not an insubstantial sum of minutes, and what should be added is that DCL/Richarlinson also had very high workloads, so it's not as if you could sort of allocate those minutes easily. It's a worthwhile point. I also think, we have to be careful with James. In truth we got away with it a little bit against West Ham/Brighton, but we can't expect him tobe playing 90 x 2 every week. We are going to have to protect him a bit. So even just to protect James, as much as the other 2, it's a concern.

In terms of the 2 up, I'm not sure on that really. Richarlinson is very much operating from the left to me. If we were geuinely 2 up top we would be much shorter of options. However, there are games where Richarlinson an fill in for DCL with Iwobi off the left/Bernard/Gordon off the left.

I think it's as much the makeup of the players as it is the numbers. If you swapped Bernard for King, I'm not sure it's much of an upgrade, but we are better covered. To me Bernard, Iwobi, Richarlinson and Gordon all look happier on the left, but we've seen little to say any are as happy off the right. And as mentioned above,the guy on the right needs to be managed. Crazy as it sounds, maybe Bolasie hangs about until Christmas just as a body?

The choice seems to be King or Sarr. King seems the more versatile (though not sure how much he's played down the right) whereas Sarr seems to prefer that side, but isn't the guy to play across the front.

One final thought, if goals are a key, is Sarr a guy who we think is a prolific goals man? He has played in flashes at Watford, but do we think he's a guy who's going to add goals?
Very much agree on James. He's the obvious one really, he'll undoubtedly miss games and need to be subbed quite a lot. I suppose the difference with him is he's quite clearly on a totally different planet to anything we could get to replace/rotate with him anyway. It would be a big drop off but there's nothing you can do about that.

If you look at the positions Richarlison's getting into, there's no way he's being played as an orthodox winger. He goes left when we're defending, and he operates from there going forward, but very much with a view to getting into the box and finishing things. He is also used as a physical threat and balls are played to him like a target man. If you look at his heat maps he is in the box a lot. That's his strength really.

I think Sarr was involved in 11 goals last year, I think there's improvement in him on that front too. As I said though, I'm not really naming names, just saying I think we could do with somebody else as an option. I think if you look at a side like Leicester last year. Iheanacho is very much a 'back up' for them, but he scored 10 goals in all competitions. Having that player who can come on, or who you know can do a decent job in games where you want to rest Vardy etc, can be very valuable. I think at the moment if we were struggling in a game you'd be looking at our bench thinking 'not sure how we can change this', and the fact we ended up playing DCL and Richarlison in the early rounds of the league cup shows that we just don't have that option right now.

Interesting response and lots of worthy points. I'll try to take each one. I should say, I am not in the "don't sign Sarr" camp, i'm on the fence really, but would obviously be delighted if we took the plunge.

He played around 860 in the Prem. As you say it's not an insubstantial sum of minutes, and what should be added is that DCL/Richarlinson also had very high workloads, so it's not as if you could sort of allocate those minutes easily. It's a worthwhile point. I also think, we have to be careful with James. In truth we got away with it a little bit against West Ham/Brighton, but we can't expect him tobe playing 90 x 2 every week. We are going to have to protect him a bit. So even just to protect James, as much as the other 2, it's a concern.

In terms of the 2 up, I'm not sure on that really. Richarlinson is very much operating from the left to me. If we were geuinely 2 up top we would be much shorter of options. However, there are games where Richarlinson an fill in for DCL with Iwobi off the left/Bernard/Gordon off the left.

I think it's as much the makeup of the players as it is the numbers. If you swapped Bernard for King, I'm not sure it's much of an upgrade, but we are better covered. To me Bernard, Iwobi, Richarlinson and Gordon all look happier on the left, but we've seen little to say any are as happy off the right. And as mentioned above,the guy on the right needs to be managed. Crazy as it sounds, maybe Bolasie hangs about until Christmas just as a body?

The choice seems to be King or Sarr. King seems the more versatile (though not sure how much he's played down the right) whereas Sarr seems to prefer that side, but isn't the guy to play across the front.

One final thought, if goals are a key, is Sarr a guy who we think is a prolific goals man? He has played in flashes at Watford, but do we think he's a guy who's going to add goals?

Dont agree with the whole cant be expecting James to play 2x90 every week. Firstly, he is a pro footballer who is clearly is incredibly physically fit. Secondly, he knows the game so well, he doesnt waste any of his energy unnecessarily. Just look at his sprints records in games this season.

Finally, until late December, we literally have 1 game a week now so it's irrelevant.

Dont agree with the whole cant be expecting James to play 2x90 every week. Firstly, he is a pro footballer who is clearly is incredibly physically fit. Secondly, he knows the game so well, he doesnt waste any of his energy unnecessarily. Just look at his sprints records in games this season.

Finally, until late December, we literally have 1 game a week now so it's irrelevant.
According to transfermarkt he's missed 30 games over the last 2 seasons with 9 different injuries. He's been signed on a contract which apparently has an extension clause based on him being able to play a certain number of games. I don't think it's controversial to say that we'll have to manage his fitness quite carefully. It doesn't make him any less great, but it's definitely something the club will be conscious of.

....sounds like another excuse for his failings. I like Ancelotti’s quote about good players not complicating games: ‘the pitch is the same size, the goalposts don’t move and you play against 11 players’. Kean plays football on a football pitch, we should be seeing signs he can be effective and positively influence games.

I’m with you on Kean, I suppose the doubt is why Brands didn’t include an obligation to buy in the deal.
Excellent response mirrors my thoughts exactly. I feel like Carlo relented for the loan so he could see if a new environment would jump start him. I personally really doubt it but you never know.

....sounds like another excuse for his failings. I like Ancelotti’s quote about good players not complicating games: ‘the pitch is the same size, the goalposts don’t move and you play against 11 players’. Kean plays football on a football pitch, we should be seeing signs he can be effective and positively influence games.

I’m with you on Kean, I suppose the doubt is why Brands didn’t include an obligation to buy in the deal.
Is it that Brands didn't include one, or that PSG didn't want one? I think it's quite telling that the club hasn't said anything about it to be honest. If he was expected to come back I would have expected them to be managing the PR by saying so. 'Moise is very much part of our future plans but we thought it was best for all parties if he got some more game time' etc. The fact that we haven't wheeled Brands or Ancelotti out to say that kind of suggests to me that it isn't the case.

Which is fine, except I didn't say it would definitely cost us. I said 'on another day that costs us' like, there was a chance it could have cost us but I appreciate that in this case it didn't. It's really a fairly commonly used expression. The pretty simple idea i'm trying to convey is that we took a risk by playing Richarlison because we didn't have anyone else who could play his role, and if we'd had another option we may not have needed to take that risk. The more often you take the risk, the more likely it becomes it will eventually backfire (see Holgate missing the last half dozen games of last season, or Gbamin missing 18 months for confirmation). It's not that it will definitely cost you - i've said this a few times now but it doesn't seem to have sunk in - but I'd rather we didn't take the risk.

"On another day that costs us."

That's an absolute. You didn't say might.

If you meant might then I agree. It might aslo turn out positive. Sometimes the system is rejigged and works better. Sometimes the replacement players takes his chance and turns in to Gareth Bale.

Maybe you're a DCL hater, you've taken offence from my original post and you just want to argue about nothing.

"On another day that costs us."

That's an absolute. You didn't say might.

If you meant might then I agree. It might aslo turn out positive. Sometimes the system is rejigged and works better. Sometimes the replacement players takes his chance and turns in to Gareth Bale.

Maybe you're a DCL hater, you've taken offence from my original post and you just want to argue about nothing.
Semantics, always a good fallback when you can't actually counter the point.

I can certainly see that perspective. I didn't see a lot of him last season, but he was very good at Liverpool, and looks a natural right sided player.
He played a bit for Rennes cutting in from the left too. Has a hell of a shot on him.

I originally wanted Under for the right but if Richy is going to be main backup to DCL this lad can cover both sides

Is it that Brands didn't include one, or that PSG didn't want one? I think it's quite telling that the club hasn't said anything about it to be honest. If he was expected to come back I would have expected them to be managing the PR by saying so. 'Moise is very much part of our future plans but we thought it was best for all parties if he got some more game time' etc. The fact that we haven't wheeled Brands or Ancelotti out to say that kind of suggests to me that it isn't the case.

...its a good point, I suppose all we can say is that Brands didn’t insist on the clause otherwise he’d still be here.

With the departure of Sandro, Walcott, Keane and all of the others the squad has been cut back to a more manageable level. I expect we will see some of the younger players leave next week as well like Connolly,Broadhead and Pennington... maybe even Branthwaite on loan.
We are left with Gbamin and Tosun(both injured) , Besic who I feel will leave next week and that leaves just Bolasie.

I would not be surprised if he is the last man standing that CA brings him and involves him with the squad until January at least.

Lol

Honestly that move can break so many different ways that I'm not even sure it is worth trying to set expectations. Just see what happens and spin it then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back