Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Everton Transfer Thread - Summer 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean that's clearly not true as Gareth Barry was actually good and cost less. There is always value to be found.

I'm not saying never sign old players just not this particular one nor basically any other one who is being quoted at 30m minimum. I wouldn't want us to sign Luka Modric at that price.
Well Barry was a bit different because he was 33 and getting released. He also had a hell of a lot of miles on the clock. Delph was 29 - prime age for a midfielder really - and still under contract. Yes there can be value in the market, but it's not often a player in their prime who their current team don't want and haven't actually played in the position you have earmarked for him for about 3 years.

Your logic can effectively be expanded to cover our entire squad. If Bolasie had been good he'd have been worth £25m, if Niasse was a footballer £13.5m would have been a snip. It just doesn't really make sense does it?

Watched a few highlight reels of Allan today. My early impression is when he's fired up his strength, ability to go box to box and tackling ability reminds me of prime Roy Keane, also similar crisp passing - always keeping the ball moving sensibly to advanced positions. Nowhere near as vocal or aggressive but not many were!

Looks a monumental step up in his position and would instantly render the likes of Davies, Stinkerdsson, Scheißerlin, etc akin to Claus Thomsen and Mitch Ward in the hearts of Evertonians.

Im not bothered about age - if he can come in and push us towards the top 6 thats all I care about.

I doubt the RS cared how much they were dropping on Allison and Van Dijk who are around 27/28 and will have no resale value.

Wendel is a no go due to work permit issues apparently, read a thing a few days back that said we would struggle to get one for him.

Work permit issues are really only a thing for players that cost less then 15-20m.

Anything more then that and it bypasses the criteria needed for one I believe.

Well Barry was a bit different because he was 33 and getting released. He also had a hell of a lot of miles on the clock. Delph was 29 - prime age for a midfielder really - and still under contract. Yes there can be value in the market, but it's not often a player in their prime who their current team don't want and haven't actually played in the position you have earmarked for him for about 3 years.

Your logic can effectively be expanded to cover our entire squad. If Bolasie had been good he'd have been worth £25m, if Niasse was a footballer £13.5m would have been a snip. It just doesn't really make sense does it?
I think you are misinterpreting what I'm saying. My point is that if we are signing a 29 year old midfielder then that 10-15m range is the place where it could be good value. I used Delph as an example of where the price point should be because that is a reasonable amount to pay, he just hasn't been good enough.

That mess you put in the second paragraph has nothing to do with my point.

Im not bothered about age - if he can come in and push us towards the top 6 thats all I care about.

I doubt the RS cared how much they were dropping on Allison and Van Dijk who are around 27/28 and will have no resale value.
We really need to get through our heads that we aren't the RS or any other "Big 6" side.

Chelsea have signed two players before we even know when the window is going to open that might be better than all of our signings in the last decade. It is a different world.

Work permit issues are really only a thing for players that cost less then 15-20m.

Anything more then that and it bypasses the criteria needed for one I believe.
That is around the price being mentioned for him though, I can't find the article now but it said we would struggle to sign him, anymore than that figure then i would swerve it anyway, he is not that good and there have been questions with regards to off field antics before.

We really need to get through our heads that we aren't the RS or any other "Big 6" side.

Chelsea have signed two players before we even know when the window is going to open that might be better than all of our signings in the last decade. It is a different world.

Usmanov could outspend everyone of the top 6 bar City if it wasnt for FFP protecting the elite.

Money isnt an object providing we stick by the rules which over time that will happen with our dodgy sponsorship deals.

If Ancelotti wants Allan then thats fine by me. Brands and the PES boys clamouring for more inconsistent 19 year olds to extend our 25 year loser streak can go cry a river.

We have a top class manager so back him to the hilt!

Usmanov could outspend everyone of the top 6 bar City if it wasnt for FFP protecting the elite.

Money isnt an object providing we stick by the rules which over time that will happen with our dodgy sponsorship deals.

If Ancelotti wants Allan then thats fine by me. Brands and the PES boys clamouring for more inconsistent 19 year olds to extend our 25 year loser streak can go cry a river.

Usmanov isn't officially a part of our club. I have my suspicions too, but I am not going to currently sit here and say we can outspend everyone.

But that isn't even the point. It is as much about status and which players we can attract. Ziyech and Werner weren't coming here for all of Usmanov's money.

Usmanov isn't officially a part of our club. I have my suspicions too, but I am not going to currently sit here and say we can outspend everyone.

But that isn't even the point. It is as much about status and which players we can attract. Ziyech and Werner weren't coming here for all of Usmanov's money.

The fact you dont believe Usmanov is backing us when he held a meeting with Ancelotti makes this a moot point.

If Ancelotti wants Allan the club has to back him mate considering we spent years backing tosh managers like Martinez and Silva to the hilt.

this all day. And Carlo will get backed and he knows that, hence him meeting usmanov

The fact you dont believe Usmanov is backing us when he held a meeting with Ancelotti makes this a moot point.

If Ancelotti wants Allan the club has to back him mate considering we spent years backing tosh managers like Martinez and Silva to the hilt.
Backing him and letting him do dumb things with the money aren't the same thing, fwiw.

I think you are misinterpreting what I'm saying. My point is that if we are signing a 29 year old midfielder then that 10-15m range is the place where it could be good value. I used Delph as an example of where the price point should be because that is a reasonable amount to pay, he just hasn't been good enough.

That mess you put in the second paragraph has nothing to do with my point.
'That mess' is just commenting on the point you actually made. You said Delph would have been good value if he was good so that's what I commented on. Evidently what you actually meant was 'I wouldn't pay more than £15m for any 29 year old'. That's a completely different point. Don't blame me because you can't get your point across clearly.

I think value can be measured in lots of different ways. If a player costs £30m and is our POTY for the next 2 years as we finish 6th, and then gives us 2 more good seasons while we look to push on from there then that's value. Resale is irrelevant because of the impact they've had. Again, i'm not talking about Allan in particular here, just the principle of signing somebody who improves us immediately being one i'm pretty comfortable with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back