Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Everton Transfer Thread - Summer 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Andre Gomes needs a midfield that works for him he is going to struggle when you put any of our current midfielders in with him.

Imagine receiving the ball and you look for you midfield partner and he’s hiding behind someone and pointing elsewhere.

We need to totally change our midfield or next season will be exactly like this.
Until his mental problems in the last six months there, up until December that season they still had him down for the long term replacement for Busquets (not Xavi or Iniesta or anyone else)… a deep lying player in the middle of a three. He has loads of talent, just hope he gets a settled spell in the side with a settled, winning formation

Until his mental problems in the last six months there, up until December that season they still had him down for the long term replacement for Busquets (not Xavi or Iniesta or anyone else)… a deep lying player in the middle of a three. He has loads of talent, just hope he gets a settled spell in the side with a settled, winning formation

Agree 100%.

No injuries and midfield that allow him to dictate games.

We all loved Arteta but we had a midfield that gave him options and was physical.

I think Gomes can play in a two but whoever we get to go alongside him has be a monster but can play, probably what Gbamin was supposed to be.

To really simplify the situation,

1) Liverpool have a much stronger business than Everton
2) Covid 19 will impact both clubs
3) Covid 19 hurt LIverpool far more than Everton.
4) Liverpools owners may respond very differently (and negatively) in a crisis than how Everton's board have acted.

On the Athletic regarding Everton Players Pay Cut:

It is understood there was reticence in some quarters to the initial proposals, mainly based on widespread media speculation over the pursuits of supposed big-name targets in the summer transfer window, including Lille defender Gabriel Magalhaes. “It took a while and went quiet for a bit,” says a source. “Why would the players agree to pay deferrals while there was the prospect of big-money signings?”

A very very smart move for the club and players

To really simplify the situation,

1) Liverpool have a much stronger business than Everton
2) Covid 19 will impact both clubs
3) Covid 19 hurt LIverpool far more than Everton.
4) Liverpools owners may respond very differently (and negatively) in a crisis than how Everton's board have acted.

Think this reflects both clubs owners businesses, FSGs entire business portfolio has been cut of income for three months, they will have lost hundreds of millions collectively already... Metalloinvest and Megafon arent listed but their competitors havent been badly damaged by the virus

It is understood there was reticence in some quarters to the initial proposals, mainly based on widespread media speculation over the pursuits of supposed big-name targets in the summer transfer window, including Lille defender Gabriel Magalhaes. “It took a while and went quiet for a bit,” says a source. “Why would the players agree to pay deferrals while there was the prospect of big-money signings?”

That explains Kirkbride´s article then

CB - Ideally we get Gabriel or if Chelsea do, they will sell Zouma to us. Scenes if we get Silva, he’d be great leadership & winning mentality for a couple of years
RB - I think we will loan Sidibe again & buy a RB next year, Holgate is also extra cover there if we strengthen at CB
CM - Allan will probably drag on a bit, but will happen. Hojberg plan B but better long term due to age gap, Allan would be fantastic for a few years yet.
FW - Everton hopefully sign Everton

We will clear a lot of deadwood and wage off the books too hopefully, be fantastic if we can find buyers for Sigurdsson & Keane (if we sign 2 CB’s). Walcott too due to wage he’d be on and what he gives us. I think just Martina, Niasse & Stek out of contract who have been around the first team?

...I don’t know why, but left footers tend to look classy. I can see why he’s not prolific, he doesn’t look like he wants to sit on the shoulder of the last defender or get on the end of things. Talented, though.

Same as cricket with left handers

I wouldn’t mind looking at Sangare. Saw him a few times now and thought he would be a excellent partner for Andre Gomes - May be quite cheap given Toulouse going down as well

He needs an athletic ball winner next to him (presumably Gbamin) and look to bring in a proven box to box midfielder. My knowledge of world football isn't what it was but I'm guessing after being linked with Allan, he fits that profile.
I’m not sure he fits 442, will Ancelotti change to suit him, who knows.

But we really need two very strong, competitive full of energy midfielders, capable of playing a bit to, for that system to really work. I’m not sure that’s gomes. If he was getting 5/6 goals and over 10 assists, then fine build the team to suit him, but he doesn’t.

One caveat to that, in his first season he reminded me a bit like dembelle from spurs, who initially struggled when he came from Fulham, but his last 3/4 seasons he was fantastic. And didn't really get goals or assists. But he was so strong, kept the ball superbly and dominated the centre of the park. I always thought Gomes could become that player, but the jury is still out.

Same as cricket with left handers

Its not that they look better, they ARE better. A French guy called Guy Azemar studied it... the connections between the left and right hand sides or hemispheres of the brain are faster for left handers.

Best 2 footballers of the last 40 years, Maradona and Messi? Southpaws
Best 2 amateur boxers of the last 30 years, Lomachenko and Rigondeaux? Southpaws

The list goes on...

This might be a less exciting summer then i was hoping for in terms of outs, the Covid situation might make moving assets and being caught short in squad numbers tricky.

2020 - we are loosing Cuco, Niasse and Steck. Not a huge free up of wages in the big scheme.

2021 - Morgan, Walcott, Bolaise, Sandro, Besic, Dowell, Pennigton, and a few others - really i would have expected us to look at shifting those this summer and clearing up the accounts, hopefully to some kind of fee and financial benefit.

Just seems unlikely now, unless loans or swaps become the thing.

Massive pity if we are lumbered with a lot of the above just running down contracts and leaving on a frees come 2021.

The wage deferral is presumably being done to improve how an accounting period looks, as no actual saving is being made and the players haven’t agreed to any wage reduction. The expense will still be met, but within the next accounting period?

Clubs like ourselves and others are also likely to delay transfer expenditure until after the beginning of their next accounting period if they can. Didn’t Moshiri recently change our accounting period? He did this through providing accounts for 13 months instead of 12?

Can anyone remember what date our accounting periods are therefore now due to begin and end? The date that we receive next season’s Sky cheque will also be of relevance.

Agree 100%.

No injuries and midfield that allow him to dictate games.

We all loved Arteta but we had a midfield that gave him options and was physical.

I think Gomes can play in a two but whoever we get to go alongside him has be a monster but can play, probably what Gbamin was supposed to be.

....I’d add that it’s also important to have physicality behind Gomes as the back 4 are more exposed with him on the pitch.

Yes I mean it doesn't look like we won't buy people. However this gives the club major breathing space. The wage bill will be around £80m p/a for those 3 months. Some clubs will be 4 times that level (ie LIverpool) and I've seen no deferrals agreed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back