Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Everton Transfer Thread - Summer 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really hope we have learnt our lesson by now...

Lingard to Everton: the most predictable transfer rumour of all time
Date published: Thursday 9th July 2020 7:51

Jesse Lingard Man Utd

Jesse Lingard being linked with a move to Everton feels significant. Not because it would represent a particularly good or bad move but because it feels like we’re rapidly approaching some kind of transfer rumour singularity here.

It just absolutely stands to reason that Everton are going to sign someone who isn’t quite good enough for Manchester United. That’s what Everton do. And if they aren’t actually interested in signing Lingard then you’d still say they were anyway because it just all makes sense, doesn’t it?

Once someone mentions the idea of Lingard to Everton, you actually find yourself surprised that he hasn’t in fact been there for a season and a half already with seven goals to his name from 48 games. Could be enough to get him back in the England reckoning.

Stats aren’t everything, but Lingard is without a goal or an assist in his 20 Premier League appearances this season. Not even Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s fondness for quintuple substitutions is getting Lingard any minutes right now – he’s not made a Premier League matchday 20 since United’s first game of Project Restart at White Hart Lane 2.0 and has played two minutes of league football since January. It’s one thing to have fallen behind Paul Pogba and Bruno Fernandes in the pecking order, another to be so firmly behind Nemanja Matic. Frankly, Lingard might as well have been at Everton for the last 18 months.

I challenge you to come up with a more predictable transfer rumour than Jesse Lingard, fringe Manchester United player and sometime England international, to Everton, perennial Premier League underachiever and welcoming home for those not quite good enough to shine at the Big Six.

And if you answered “Jesse Lingard, fringe Manchester United player and sometime England international, to David Moyes’ West Ham, perennial Premier League underachiever and welcoming home for those not quite good enough to shine at the Big Six” then you still lose because that one’s happened as well this week with the added bonus of some Phil Jones thrown in for good measure. It must be the huge success that Moyes had with his United raids for Paddy McNair and Adnan Januzaj at Sunderland that has him keen to go back for more.

Everton, though. That’s the real place when you’re not quite good enough for Manchester United. Cleverley, Gibson, Schneiderlin…Sessions. A group designed to thoroughly debunk the myth that you have to be pretty good to have played a number of games for Manchester United. Wayne Rooney, to be fair, was pretty good but even his emotional return to Everton could hardly be called a great success.

The Toffees also tried to sign Marcos Rojo in January, because of course they did.

And it’s not just United who have managed to use Goodison Park as a dumping ground; Arsenal have also successfully offloaded Theo Walcott and Alex Iwobi on a club that should frankly by now have learned their lesson.

All right, Romelu Lukaku from Chelsea we’ll give you. That one was pretty good. But it was also six years ago now. The failures are more frequent and more recent.

Enough’s enough now, surely. If Everton’s plan is to bridge the gap between them and a splintering Big Six – and hiring a manager of Carlo Ancelotti’s calibre is a pretty clear indication that it is – then they’ve got to do more than signing their cast-offs, has-beens and never weres. Leave that sort of thing to West Ham.

Dave Tickner
Great read and very true

So I decided to go and watch some Norwich highlights. I'm sold. If it can be a cut rate because they go down even better.

Well yes that is the classic example but if you go and look at that team it has very few players who made it at a PL level after that campaign. Gana obviously did. Then you've got Westwood and Ayew who are both PL players but not at the level I'd want at Everton. And the other two are Grealish and Traore who were both about 20 and just breaking through at the time.

So applying that to Norwich, Buendia I'm in on. Cantwell is probably a PL player but watching him play his best attribute seems to be an ability to find himself on the end of things for goals. That is fine, but I don't think it can be your main skill as a wide player. Aarons will probably be one of the young players. Maybe Pukki fashions a lower half of the table career. That is about it for me.

Yeah I think it's quite weird how badly they done especially when 3 of their back 4 are highly rated promising English youngsters in Lewis , Godfrey and Aaron's who have all been linked with top clubs. They must have worse centre mids than us

Can somebody précis our transfer business so far? Other than the young left back from France, have we signed or even made a formal bid for anyone yet?

The LB you refer to was signed with no prior fanfare as far as I'm aware, so I doubt news of genuine bids/enquiries would be plastered anywhere for us to see. That's why we end up with lazy, garbage rumours like Lingard.

They’ve got some decent players; quite shocked they got relegated. Roca, Melendo, Vargas, Calero.
Marc Roca was on the verge of Bayern in the winter for 40M or so. Very good player but not had a great season, will certainly leave this summer- I'd imagine for 20M or so.

They spent 40M in January to try and get themselves safe, I'd imagine De Tomas leaves, really good forward. Victor Gomes, Melendo, Pol Lozano will all likely stay though- good young players, low salary and probably too raw for any of the bigger sides. Darder and David Lopez will both be off as well but they aren't good enough for us.

Small comment on Allan from Napoli's director of sport:

“If Allan is in good shape, then there is no doubting his quality. He had a lot of fitness problems over the last year, nothing serious, but lots of little issues. The crisis might damage the value of many players, but not ones like Allan.”

“If Allan is in good shape, then there is no doubting his quality. He had a lot of fitness problems over the last year, nothing serious, but lots of little issues. The crisis might damage the value of many players, but not ones like Allan.”
That's basically a used car salesman telling you it'll buff out.

He wants rid, and an injury-prone midfielder is right up our alley.

Yeah, we're kidding ourselves if we think we'll be able to get a bargain out of Napoli.

2 CMs
1 RW
1 CM
1 RB
1 CB
1 CM for good measure

Hell, we could have all of those be 7 CMs and I wouldn't have faith we were 'safe' there after seeing this season unfold.

Yeah, we're kidding ourselves if we think we'll be able to get a bargain out of Napoli.
But do they keep a player who’s not happy and has fell out with manager and owner. I agree Napoli are a nightmare to deal with.

But they could be getting a taste of their own medicine, with the rumours of them trying to get the price down on Oshimen and he’s now having 2nd thoughts. As other clubs are interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back