Everton Transfer Thread - Summer 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
I missed out pickford because he's probably the biggest underperformer and the biggest problem lately with some of the goals he's conceded. It's the attitude that's the main problem with these players, probably because they feel the season is already over by xmas.
I still think he’s a good keeper but worry it now gone too far with him and the fans

He could have 10 great games, make one error and he’s trex arms again. He seems too nervous to play in front of our fans when they turn

This is a really good point and probably doesn't register with us most of the time. the dressing room environment is crucial and if it's in constant upheaval then how are players going to gel and get to know each other. It makes sense that Brands wants to trim the size of the squad, he is taking a lot of flak for poor recruitment but he also has shifted a lot of rubbish.

Its right in front of our noses mate, but we never question it, why sometimes do we see a wet wheetabix mentality on the field, a lack of fight, commitment and attitude. Think about the examples i gave of that dressing room and the reasons become clearer. I dont think we have bad players i think we have a bad environment, that has lacked continuity and consistency and bloated by a lot of transient players likely with a cynical out look, its not great and often plays out in the mentality of the first team. I think a lot of our players under perform and i have sympathy for a few, i think there is more talent there in our squad then we often see. The environment has been poor, continuity has been poor and we haven't given the consistency of a foundation to our players to thrive.

I often also raise the point of the amount of managers the squad have had to play under in the Mosh era as well, that again is basket case stuff and hugely feeds into the point i raise above.

Whats our answer, sign another 8 players and do the same thing again. No, its not what we need. I get excited by outs as i know its a step in the right direction of improving the environment and thus the team.

Im not polarised, i recognize we can strengthen in areas and be stronger, but that needs to be targeted, balanced and the right quality and kept to a minimum.

Stability, consistency and continuity need to be our watch words from this point on.

Last edited:
I think Pickford can come good again. But I think we could do some great business, selling him. He's still England Number 1 which always adds value. Could sell him and get a very good international level keeper in his early 30's ( at a keepers peak) and have money left towards strengthening in other areas.

CB and Strikers are workable, It's subjective on CB, DCL/Kean/Richy they can do a decent job if we're gonna use last season as evidence with hope of Kean improving and given more game time.
CB is shaky at times but feel it's good enough to finish a decent place in the league long as we cut silly mistakes out.
LM, I have no problems with persisting or rotating with Gordon and Bernard even though the latter has been pretty out of form for a long time.
CM/RW needs players in no question about this.
RB is another 50-50, Won't mind seeing Kenny given a try but also wouldn't mind if we replaced him.

I think a real good quality CM and RW will change us big time.
This has literally what I've whittled my opinion down to, after originally wanting 8 new first team players. I think the defence massively suffered and looked alot worse, due to our non-existent cm players. I feel holgate /mina/Keane will look like new players once we get a player in Gueye's mould sat in front of them

...it’s still easier said than done. Barcelona spent a fortune on quality like Coutinho and Griezeman.

Buying the right players is key and that not necessarily mean the most expensive. It’s much easier said than done.
Thats true. If it was that easy I'd be the manager of Everton;) I'm hoping that brands and Carlo bring in 3 players who are better than what we have now

Obviously Eggs if I was in charge I'd have those quality players in and we would be challenging for honours:dance::dance:. No it's not easy. Buying the right players in is definitely the key. Just think 3 good signing rather than 6 would be better. Brands and Carlo have a tough job cos every team is after these players. And most of these quality players want European footy. I'm trusting brand ATM to bring 3 in who will make the team perform well. Bring a couple of young lads in as well just below the first team. I'd also like to think they are looking at the lower leagues were often there is a hungry player who can make the step up e.g Cahill. But even these types cost a lot of money thesee day. Like I said it's difficult but let's hope they can do it

How the hell are Benfica signing Everton Soares and chasing Cavani whilst we lumber around with Tosun/DCL up top and have Iwobi & Walcott on the wings?

wut is goin on???

I know - just don't get it.

Could it just possibly be somthing to do with the fact that Benfica is the most successful team in their league and feature in the champions league season after season?

Nothingness is a distinct possibility but a relegation battle is not out of the question if we don't get at least a couple of new faces in. Coleman, Delph, siggy, Walcott are all a year older/worse

Richy,dcl, davies, holgate, kean, kenny, gordon are all a year older aswell and hopefully better

Sadly the echo bots will convince the masses 2-3 signings + Gbamin turning into Patrick Viera once his artificial legs are attached will have us fighting for europe.

We'll be lucky to finish 9th-10th without a good few signings this window its really that simple - we were outplayed by kin Southampton & Aston Villa and thumped by a relegated Bournemouth side AT HOME

Its obvious we need 5 players,

CB
RB
CM
CM
RW

But if we sign 3 this year, 3 next year and 3 in 2022 then we'll have 18 players contracts up by then and a very good team. We wont be amazing overnight until we clear the wages.

Its right in front of our noses mate, but we never question it, why sometimes do we see a wet wheetabix mentality on the field, a lack of fight, commitment and attitude. Think about the examples i gave of that dressing room and the reasons become clearer. I dont think we have bad players i think we have a bad environment, that has lacked continuity and consistency and bloated by a lot of transient players likely with a cynical out look, its not great and often plays out in the mentality of the first team. I think a lot of our players under perform and i have sympathy for a few, i think there is more talent there in our squad then we often see. The environment has been poor, continuity has been poor and we haven't given the consistency of a foundation to our players to thrive.

I often also raise the point of the amount of managers the squad have had to play under in the Mosh era as well, that again is basket case stuff and hugely feeds into the point i raise above.

Whats our answer, sign another 8 players and do the same thing again. No, its not what we need. I get excited by outs as i know its a step in the right direction of improving the environment and thus the team.

Im not polarised, i recognize we can strengthen in areas and be stronger, but that needs to be targeted, balanced and the right quality and kept to a minimum.

Stability, consistency and continuity need to be our watch words from this point on.
Excellent post which neatly summarises how we arrived at our current situation and accurately plots the only way we can get out of it, a period stability .
I would hope that the majority of our support and our owner can at least control their understandable impatience and allow the manager to build his team without reacting to every downturn with demands for more upheaval .
Transforming a mid table club into one capable of competing at the top was always going to take 2 or 3 seasons minimum after we had sufficient financial backing.
Sadly because of the missteps since the arrival of Moshiri we are still at the start of that 2or 3 seasons.
It is important we understand this and temper our expectations accordingly.

I still think he’s a good keeper but worry it now gone too far with him and the fans

He could have 10 great games, make one error and he’s trex arms again. He seems too nervous to play in front of our fans when they turn

He didn't have 10 great games last season he had about 10 really bad games though. A good keeper for me have solid games throughout the season, a good keeper is not someone who flungs himself after easy saves to get on a highlight reel

Has baningime gone? @Neiler saw you posted something earlier in the thread?

Looks like hes in the advanced stages of negotiating a year long loan deal with Blackpool, a shop window move, by the look of it to me, hes deal runs out in 2022.

Augers well for having another central midfield deal in the pipeline, but i'm speculating there.

Status
Not open for further replies.