Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Everton Transfer Thread - Summer 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
He was due to sign for PSG in January. Seven months later he doesn't just become not good enough for that level.

The guy from the express has assumed because we've signed him he must be on a downward trajectory. Because generally the media seems to hate us.

Every signing is a gamble. But this is probably the most certain I've been about a players ability. He's been class in every game I've seen him in. He was excellent in the champions League against the rs as recently as last season.

To be fair, this fella in this article this morning is saying exactly the same thing as Marcotti which is a concern for me. There was also a respected journalist tweeting the other day that Napoli’s midfield got completely overrun with Ancelotti‘s 442 with Allan at the heart of that midfield as Napoli never had a defensive midfielder alongside him. All seem to be saying the same thing.

If Ancelotti goes with his preferred 442 formation here, who is the defensive midfielder we have that will sit alongside Allan? We simply don’t have one! Neither Gomes or Doucoure are that player. In fact, Doucoure seems to play the exact box to box role at Allan. Mentions of knee injuries and fitness issues creeping in and a general decline in his performances alongside the “past his prime” stuff has taken the shine off this signing for me.

Maybe some people’s age concerns on here of our recruitment this time were justified.

To be fair, this fella in this article this morning is saying exactly the same thing as Marcotti which is a concern for me. There was also a respected journalist tweeting the other day that Napoli’s midfield got completely overrun with Ancelotti‘s 442 with Allan at the heart of that midfield as Napoli never had a defensive midfielder alongside him. All seem to be saying the same thing.

If Ancelotti goes with his preferred 442 formation here, who is the defensive midfielder we have that will sit alongside Allan? We simply don’t have one! Neither Gomes or Doucoure are that player. In fact, Doucoure seems to play the exact box to box role at Allan. Mentions of knee injuries and fitness issues creeping in and a general decline in his performances alongside the “past his prime” stuff has taken the shine off this signing for me.

Maybe some people’s age concerns on here of our recruitment this time were justified.

Oh dear, it begins

Ham will be exquisite for us, can't wait for the announcement.

We need two or three more though, excluding Doucs and Allan, if we want to compete amongst the top six or seven. Our back line is mid-table at best and we are a striker light. Plus we need an out and out winger to come into the team.

I'd like Romero, a new right back and a winger as priorities. We can't keep spending 25m on players, so a cheap deal for Romero, a loan signing and an astute deal from abroad as the other.

We need to desperately offload midfielders now though. We were already midfield-heavy and we've just added a further three. Two of Davies, Sigurdsson and Delph need to go.

Once all are fit, Gomes, Doucouré, Gbamin, Allan and whoever is left over from the three above is more than enough. No doubt it'll be Davies who remains. In fairness it'd probably make sense to prioritise selling the other two.

I actually don't know where Ham will play, but Allan, Rodriguez, Doucouré are all starters if fit, and Gomes is next in line followed by Gbamin.

I think Keane, Mina and Holgate will do this season especially with a couple of promising youngsters available to fit in if needed.

Left back is sorted and hopefully Romero or somebody else will come in to either start or pressure Pickford. We do need a starting right back though as neither Coleman nor Kenny offer anything in the opposition half, plus both are very poor ball players which is something Carlo needs.

Bolasie, Iwobi, Walcott, Bernard. None of them worth a carrot out wide, hence the need for a new winger. If Hamez is seen as a number 10 then Iwobi needs selling ASAP as he's proven he's not a wide player and we can't have a waste of space 30m player on the bench. Keep Walcott, sell the others. Gordon can fit in out wide, he's better than all those there anyway.

It's nowhere near good enough having wingers who score fewer than three or so goals a season. Last season the offensive output from our midfield was an absolute disgrace, Gomes included, and that urgently needs to change now. More goals and assists needed or we're going nowhere.

Thankfully Carlo has identified it but hopefully he also sees the need for a productive winger too - unless that's James' position? No idea really.

But yes, I still think we're not going to improve that dramatically even with these three signings. It'll still a weak defence and only one new attack-minded player in the squad.

Hopefully more signings are to come.

We’ve played 433 in both our pre season games, I don’t think that would happen unless we plan to play like that this season so that will help.

There may have been reasons for his poor form. He wanted to leave and was unhappy with PSG having a big bid rejected in January. There was also the whole squad falling out with the chairman and the fans broke into his home.

Also he’s only 29 and got plenty of playing time left

Meh. To everything.

Ham will be exquisite for us, can't wait for the announcement.

We need two or three more though, excluding Doucs and Allan, if we want to compete amongst the top six or seven. Our back line is mid-table at best and we are a striker light. Plus we need an out and out winger to come into the team.

I'd like Romero, a new right back and a winger as priorities. We can't keep spending 25m on players, so a cheap deal for Romero, a loan signing and an astute deal from abroad as the other.

We need to desperately offload midfielders now though. We were already midfield-heavy and we've just added a further three. Two of Davies, Sigurdsson and Delph need to go.

Once all are fit, Gomes, Doucouré, Gbamin, Allan and whoever is left over from the three above is more than enough. No doubt it'll be Davies who remains. In fairness it'd probably make sense to prioritise selling the other two.

I actually don't know where Ham will play, but Allan, Rodriguez, Doucouré are all starters if fit, and Gomes is next in line followed by Gbamin.

I think Keane, Mina and Holgate will do this season especially with a couple of promising youngsters available to fit in if needed.

Left back is sorted and hopefully Romero or somebody else will come in to either start or pressure Pickford. We do need a starting right back though as neither Coleman nor Kenny offer anything in the opposition half, plus both are very poor ball players which is something Carlo needs.

Bolasie, Iwobi, Walcott, Bernard. None of them worth a carrot out wide, hence the need for a new winger. If Hamez is seen as a number 10 then Iwobi needs selling ASAP as he's proven he's not a wide player and we can't have a waste of space 30m player on the bench. Keep Walcott, sell the others. Gordon can fit in out wide, he's better than all those there anyway.

It's nowhere near good enough having wingers who score fewer than three or so goals a season. Last season the offensive output from our midfield was an absolute disgrace, Gomes included, and that urgently needs to change now. More goals and assists needed or we're going nowhere.

Thankfully Carlo has identified it but hopefully he also sees the need for a productive winger too - unless that's James' position? No idea really.

But yes, I still think we're not going to improve that dramatically even with these three signings. It'll still a weak defence and only one new attack-minded player in the squad.

Hopefully more signings are to come.

Of course we're going to improve dramatically. We've gone from having one of the worst midfield in the whole league to one of the best.

I agree that we need a couple more in but the difference is going to be staggering.

Keep seeing people saying we are light up top and need another striker. I dont get it.

Both Richarlison and DCL got 13 goals each for a team that finished 12th.

This was supported by a midfield who got like 10 assists between them.
Gylfi: 3
Walcott: 3
Berbard: 2
Gordon: 1
Gomes: 1
Davies: 0
Iwobi: 0
Delph: 0

Our defence got 11 assists (digne 7, Holgate 3, mina 1)

Stick a decent midfield behind them and the chances are that they will get more goals. As well as having more goals scored from midfield. Chelsea only had Abraham who scored more than them but their midfield chipped in with a lot more than ours did and they came 4th. Hopefully thats about to change. The midfield is key.

We dont have Europe so we only need 3 strikers. Kean got a couple of goals and assists as well and if he comes in with a decent midfield behind him, he could get a much better return.

Of course we're going to improve dramatically. We've gone from having one of the worst midfield in the whole league to one of the best.

I agree that we need a couple more in but the difference is going to be staggering.
The rest of the league are looking forward to seeing their new acquisitions shoot at goal . We are looking forward to basically see some tackles . Exciting times .

Hopefully James and Doucoure come in today.

I think priority is to shift out the first team deadwood permanently:
Delph
Besic
Bolasie
Sandro
Tosun

Happily to send on loan:
Branthwaite
Gibson
Baningime

Judging by the original bid for Gabriel, I still think we'll be adding a centre back and I'm unsure if Coleman or Kenny will be given the opportunity to be first choice right back.

Why not just wait and see rather than trying to guess what he will be like?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back