Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Everton Transfer Thread - Summer 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could see James staying for longer if both parties stay happy with eachother. Think he could keep playing well into his thirties as he depends on technical abiltity and vision rather than speed and strength.

Could see Ihattaran more in that current Gomes/Siggy role. But more of a natural in that position. We'd even have the luxury of easing him in with the current options.

Fantastic talent, there has been questions about his attitude though.

Definitely, James is here for this season + one or two more (one year option).

Depending on how long he intends to stay we already need to be planning for the future with him, Allan and Coleman.

Allan we can see how Gbamin comes back.

For now we need to be looking at young RW/RB players who can come in and make an impact and develop into stars.

This window theres only Sarr and Aarons who seem to fit that criteria.

January Ihattaren may be a possibility for the right. He fits the profile...he may even be a Sigurdsson / Gomes rotation option as well.

The Milik links saying his agent quoted us as looking for 'pace and counter attack' might indicate we are after one of these?

Walcott leaving took our only established RW with any pace.

You're right but it can't be helped. Liverpool lose Salah or City lose KDB or Spurs lose Kane it's the same. Genuine world class players leave a hole when they aren't there

My biggest issue is there is no one else who really is suitable to play there. At the minute it's Iwobi who is cover but in my opinion he's more suited to a central role. I suppose they could switch Richarlison and bring in Gordon or Bernard on the left but its not an ideal solution.

He is 22 soon and will probably be released when his contract expires next summer.
Have you even seen the lad play? He'd been in excellent form for the U23s and whilst Simms has been getting all the headlines this lad has been picking up the MOM awards.

Why do people add years onto young players ages when slagging them off? He's 21, and not 22 until next March. Dozens of players have been sent on loan to championship clubs aged 21/22 and then gone on to make it in the premier club, including our own Mason Holgate and the likes of Ben White of Brighton just last year.

Bowler is also exactly the type of player missing from our first team squad. A pacey left footed right winger who likes to take players on and cut in on his left foot. I'm not saying that the lad will make it here. In fact I'd put odds on that he won't. What I am saying is that he isn't in the same group as Connolly, Pennington, Broadhead, Banningime et al who we all know it's too late for them at Everton. We aren't loaning him out just to get rid. He's following a similar route to Harry Wilson who is exactly 2 years older than him.

Also I wouldn't read too much into contract situation. We had the me issue with Gibson last season before we extended it and loaned him out.

Have you even seen the lad play? He'd been in excellent form for the U23s and whilst Simms has been getting all the headlines this lad has been picking up the MOM awards.

Why do people add years onto young players ages when slagging them off? He's 21, and not 22 until next March. Dozens of players have been sent on loan to championship clubs aged 21/22 and then gone on to make it in the premier club, including our own Mason Holgate and the likes of Ben White of Brighton just last year.

Bowler is also exactly the type of player missing from our first team squad. A pacey left footed right winger who likes to take players on and cut in on his left foot. I'm not saying that the lad will make it here. In fact I'd put odds on that he won't. What I am saying is that he isn't in the same group as Connolly, Pennington, Broadhead, Banningime et al who we all know it's too late for them at Everton. We aren't loaning him out just to get rid. He's following a similar route to Harry Wilson who is exactly 2 years older than him.

Also I wouldn't read too much into contract situation. We had the me issue with Gibson last season before we extended it and loaned him out.

Because he was average at Hull last season? And if you don’t make it by 22/23 you would probably won’t make it. There are two Holgate/Osman in like 30 years. You can’t keep everyone or you will be in the situation when Penno is still at the club when he’s 25. By the same token, why do people consistently believe young players are better than they actually are?

My biggest issue is there is no one else who really is suitable to play there. At the minute it's Iwobi who is cover but in my opinion he's more suited to a central role. I suppose they could switch Richarlison and bring in Gordon or Bernard on the left but its not an ideal solution.
If you're talking about the right hand side rather than James specifically, then yeah I agree. Which is why I want us to bring in Sarr. A different type of player maybe but we need to be able to mix it up.

Without James in the team we would lose creativity so we'd need to play either Bernard or Siggy, but in a more central role. Basically we need to be able to adapt when we lose key players. In my opinion we need to add at least one more quality player to our midfield and attack to ensure that there is not a huge drop off in quality if we lose a player to injury. I'm hoping Gbamin will be that person on the defensive side, but we do need one on the offensive side too.

I think Siggy or Bernard with Allan and Doucoure behind them is a different prospect to playing either in a midfield 2. Both have the ability to pick out forwards if they're given the space and time and I'm sure a front 3 of Richy, Dom and Sarr will give them plenty if options.

Bottom line though, whichever way you look t it, it's always going to be difficult to replace any of James, Richy or Allan in the starting line up.

Because he was average at Hull last season? And if you don’t make it by 22/23 you would probably won’t make it. There are two Holgate/Osman in like 30 years. You can’t keep everyone or you will be in the situation when Penno is still at the club when he’s 25. By the same token, why do people consistently believe young players are better than they actually are?
He plays in the same position as Bowen so his game was restricted up until January. Hull were then in freefall. Did you expect a 20/21 year old loanee to prevent that? Did you expect him to stop them going down in his own?

I think the club are more savvy with contracts now and I suspect he would be offered a 1 or possibly a 2 year contract at best. A 1 year means he would still be under 24 on expiry so we would be eligible to compensation if he decided to leave and the £1.5m fee we paid would automatically be taken into account.

As regards young players, I don't believe we do think they are better than they actually are. We just recognise young players are not the finished article and that they can develop. So we don't write them off at 20/22 like some on here do.

Take DCL for instance. Just from your comments in this current discussion I can imagine what you were saying about him a year or more ago, and I bet it wasn't "stick with him lads, he'll come good for us one day" :)

If you're talking about the right hand side rather than James specifically, then yeah I agree. Which is why I want us to bring in Sarr. A different type of player maybe but we need to be able to mix it up.

Without James in the team we would lose creativity so we'd need to play either Bernard or Siggy, but in a more central role. Basically we need to be able to adapt when we lose key players. In my opinion we need to add at least one more quality player to our midfield and attack to ensure that there is not a huge drop off in quality if we lose a player to injury. I'm hoping Gbamin will be that person on the defensive side, but we do need one on the offensive side too.

I think Siggy or Bernard with Allan and Doucoure behind them is a different prospect to playing either in a midfield 2. Both have the ability to pick out forwards if they're given the space and time and I'm sure a front 3 of Richy, Dom and Sarr will give them plenty if options.

Bottom line though, whichever way you look t it, it's always going to be difficult to replace any of James, Richy or Allan in the starting line up.

Yeah I'm talking about RW specifically. Whoever we get wont be as good but I at least want someone who is comfortable in the position. If they can also play centrally it means we have cover for DCL as well without having to move Richarlison central. It would also allow us to occasionally move James into midfield which means teams won't be able to set up plans for us as we will have the additional flexibility.

Definitely, James is here for this season + one or two more (one year option).

Depending on how long he intends to stay we already need to be planning for the future with him, Allan and Coleman.

Allan we can see how Gbamin comes back.

For now we need to be looking at young RW/RB players who can come in and make an impact and develop into stars.

This window theres only Sarr and Aarons who seem to fit that criteria.

January Ihattaren may be a possibility for the right. He fits the profile...he may even be a Sigurdsson / Gomes rotation option as well.
James will lead us out as Double league and CL champions in our first game in BMD against a combined Real Madrid , Barca ,Bayern and June selection
And we will SMASH them 18 -0

Yeah I forgot about that. You have to admire Grealish for sticking with Villa through thick and thin. Shame Rooney and Barkley weren't the same.

But I think it's harsh to write off a player for being in the championship at 23. Armstrong was a World Cup and Euro winner for England and youth level so obviously has some talent. And Newcastle are not well known for making smart transfer decisions. They let Gibson join us too.
I admire him to a degree but I’m fairly sure at one point they had all terms agreed and he was keen to go but Levy pulled out at the last minute. Good player though for certain.

The Championship has tons of untapped potential and clubs have only just started to realise that which will push prices up as we’ve seen with Watkins and probably Godfrey too I suppose. Definitely where we should’ve been shopping a few years ago with Walsh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back