Match Thread Everton v Burnley - Waffle, Match Report & MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
And until they're STOPPED being given, football officiating never improves.

You should not have a "if you can't beat them join them" attitude towards the big teams.
You still missing the point. That is a pen according to modern football, line it or loathe it, it is the truth.
I don’t agree with it necessarily but it’s frustrating , two times in three games we’ve been robbed of pens that other teams would be given

Is it a soft penalty? - yes, should the league be officiated so that those incidents aren't pens? - yes, are those incidents currently routinely given as penalties? - absolutely. If a defender makes any sort of contact with an attacker in the box while attempting a tackle then nowadays it is virtually always given as a pen no matter how small the contact. I have seen Liverpool get at least 4 penalties in exactly the same way. I think Jota got two in one match. That is the current standard for other clubs but we have been denied a similar standard in consecutive Saturdays.
Bingo

Is it a soft penalty? - yes, should the league be officiated so that those incidents aren't pens? - yes, are those incidents currently routinely given as penalties? - absolutely. If a defender makes any sort of contact with an attacker in the box while attempting a tackle then nowadays it is virtually always given as a pen no matter how small the contact. I have seen Liverpool get at least 4 penalties in exactly the same way. I think Jota got two in one match. That is the current standard for other clubs but we have been denied a similar standard in consecutive Saturdays.

But if that's given today, and another next week, and another a week after, when will we ever get to a league where they're not given.

Considering my original argument was: it was not a penalty, I'm pretty sure it is the argument.
You said he wasn't touched. You're argument also seems to be that it shouldn't be a penalty based on your own desire for how the game should be referreed (I agree with you on that one BTW) but we can only judge whether or not it is a pen based on how the game is currently referreed and I have seen those sorts of slight contacts given as pens on numerous occasions in recent seasons including against us. Are they always given no? Are they ever given for us? Absolutely not.

You said he wasn't touched. You're argument also seems to be that it shouldn't be a penalty based on your own desire for how the game should be referreed (I agree with you on that one BTW) but we can only judge whether or not it is a pen based on how the game is currently referreed and I have seen those sorts of slight contacts given as pens on numerous occasions in recent seasons including against us. Are they always given no? Are they ever given for us? Absolutely not.

Watching the game, I didn't think he was touched. Watching the highlights it's the bare minimum to even be classed as touched. But yes, I still just don't think they should be given. Football should be improving, not continuing the way it is, the more pens not given the more people still thinking "oh but it was given for them".

Watching the game, I didn't think he was touched. Watching the highlights it's the bare minimum to even be classed as touched. But yes, I still just don't think they should be given. Football should be improving, not continuing the way it is, the more pens not given the more people still thinking "oh but it was given for them".
So, you agree it WAS a pen but that it shouldn’t be because soft pens annoy you

Was still a pen though

But if that's given today, and another next week, and another a week after, when will we ever get to a league where they're not given.
I'd sooner another club which is not already minus 6 points, due another deduction and fighting a potentially existential relegation battle acted the martyr if it is all the same to you. Also, I don't think us moaning on a message board does anything to change the way games are referreed. I currently hate the way the game is referreed BTW so I am in complete agreement with you on that. There are way too many penalties given nowadays.

I'd sooner another club which is not already minus 6 points, due another deduction and fighting a potentially existential relegation battle acted the martyr if it is all the same to you. Also, I don't us moaning on a message board does anything to change the way games are referreed. I currently hate the way the game is referreed BTW so I am in complete agreement with you on that. There are way too many penalties given nowadays.

If we were 10th right now, do you argue that's a pen?

Just relief but to be honest just totally flat after that,dyche needs locking up,ten men,a team second bottom in the table and he basically sets us up to “see it out”,corners and free kicks,keeper being thrown up top,if I wasnt as much a die hard evertonian I actually would have laughed if they had equalised,it’s what his archaic tactics deserve,heard on the radio coming home after their fella was sent off we had 37% possession,yes 37%,he has lost me,yes in real terms we should be four points better off and you can make a case for an improvement on last year,however his “tactics”,game management and “anti football” have totally lost me,the thought of sticking with this boring,low intensity,take a point or try and sneak a 1-0 win leaves me totally scared to death looking into a dyche/Everton Crystal ball😞

Branthwaite by a country mile for me ,a mention for Pickford -his kicking is disgraceful ,I tried to watch for one long ball we gained advantage from ,every one was won by them second ball except one Beto got but fell over when tackled .