• Hate like

Votes: 201 42.9%
  • The Bends is better than OK Computer, defo

Votes: 38 8.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
hard to understand how a young player that has it all can't add a bit of work rate to his game which would make an instant starter for us, of all the footballing skills surely work rate is the easiest to master. Maybe a crisis of confidence but Martinez seems to be handling him right. maybe the lad can start on Wednesday now james is back to do some running in cm.
It's weird but I'm not so sure it's a simple case of effort, there's no point running around tiring yourself out if you don't press at the right times. The more intelligent players always seem to be the best workers too so maybe that has something to do with it. I think it's just a weakness with the right coaching can be fixed.

My observations:

Defensively as comfortable a derby match as we've had in a very long time. Robles, Stones and Jags very assured. Oviedo was given a torrid time by Ibe but I think that's more of a tribute to their kid's ability than Oviedo being rubbish- not his best game though. Coleman looked a hell of a lot more assured with Lennon ahead of him.

I understand the rationale behind playing all 3 of Barry McCarthy and Besic- we hardly heard a peep from Gerrard, Coutinho, Allan, etc all game. Totally nullified. But when Leiva went off for them I felt it was a bit of an opportunity to push a little bit centrally- he really is the only one properly keeping them together there.

Rom does a job out wide but he won't get any goals. He won't get much actually. He'll hassle and hassle and run. He was frustrating as hell yesterday- though that's likely cos I know how good a striker he can be, and out wide he's just running offside, losing the ball, and running aimlessly. Feels a bit wasted.

Mirallas is usually so fired up for derbies. Dragging the team into the levels of intensity needed. Yesterday it only seemed to get there with the scuffle between Besic and Ibe (and Naismith Henderson). Disappointing to see Mirallas so distracted. But if he can get sold for a real good profit then do so- no need for bad attitudes at the club. I'm sure (if allowed) Martinez can wisely reinvest the money. But we'd be losing a star. Make no mistake he'll be a great addition to any team (though watching Spurs yesterday- he will absolutely NOT make it in that team- the guy will not run at that intensity for a full 90 minutes).

Martinez betrayed himself yesterday. I don't mind the result. Not at all. I would have wanted a win. Martinez himself said he wanted a win. But they game plan was not designed to win. His substitutions and the timing of them did not indicate he wanted to win. And that's ok. Our form is only turning around now after our worst run in a decade, and our next game is against the best team in the country. 2 losses at this time would be a horrible step back. But be honest about it. Don't talk about never sacrificing style for results, and then doing just that. Be honest with fans- I want to be treated as a fan with integrity, not an idiot. And to find out that Martinez is suddenly more pragmatic won't make me think less of him. I mean [Poor language removed] Arsene Wenger was given rubdowns by everyone in the media after the City game for doing just that. And you know what- that would have made me understand the Alcaraz substitution. I get Besic was becoming a liability- fair enough. But not for Kone maybe? Bizarre. As for Barkley getting 5 minutes- frustrating as hell, but if he conceded afterwards that he just wanted to keep control, then all is understood. Don't pretend like Everton played intricate wonderful football. Because we know what that is- we saw it last season. Be honest. Rant over.

Also, I would very much like to see Kone play more. I've love his hold-up play every time I've seen him. Also wouldn't mind seeing Lukaku being supplied by Lennon and Atsu on the wings- PAAAAACE.

Thank you for listening.
Now I will continue with my life.
tumblr_inline_ni4lzl1KPx1qzozj1.gif

My observations:

Defensively as comfortable a derby match as we've had in a very long time. Robles, Stones and Jags very assured. Oviedo was given a torrid time by Ibe but I think that's more of a tribute to their kid's ability than Oviedo being rubbish- not his best game though. Coleman looked a hell of a lot more assured with Lennon ahead of him.

I understand the rationale behind playing all 3 of Barry McCarthy and Besic- we hardly heard a peep from Gerrard, Coutinho, Allan, etc all game. Totally nullified. But when Leiva went off for them I felt it was a bit of an opportunity to push a little bit centrally- he really is the only one properly keeping them together there.

Rom does a job out wide but he won't get any goals. He won't get much actually. He'll hassle and hassle and run. He was frustrating as hell yesterday- though that's likely cos I know how good a striker he can be, and out wide he's just running offside, losing the ball, and running aimlessly. Feels a bit wasted.

Mirallas is usually so fired up for derbies. Dragging the team into the levels of intensity needed. Yesterday it only seemed to get there with the scuffle between Besic and Ibe (and Naismith Henderson). Disappointing to see Mirallas so distracted. But if he can get sold for a real good profit then do so- no need for bad attitudes at the club. I'm sure (if allowed) Martinez can wisely reinvest the money. But we'd be losing a star. Make no mistake he'll be a great addition to any team (though watching Spurs yesterday- he will absolutely NOT make it in that team- the guy will not run at that intensity for a full 90 minutes).

Martinez betrayed himself yesterday. I don't mind the result. Not at all. I would have wanted a win. Martinez himself said he wanted a win. But they game plan was not designed to win. His substitutions and the timing of them did not indicate he wanted to win. And that's ok. Our form is only turning around now after our worst run in a decade, and our next game is against the best team in the country. 2 losses at this time would be a horrible step back. But be honest about it. Don't talk about never sacrificing style for results, and then doing just that. Be honest with fans- I want to be treated as a fan with integrity, not an idiot. And to find out that Martinez is suddenly more pragmatic won't make me think less of him. I mean [Poor language removed] Arsene Wenger was given rubdowns by everyone in the media after the City game for doing just that. And you know what- that would have made me understand the Alcaraz substitution. I get Besic was becoming a liability- fair enough. But not for Kone maybe? Bizarre. As for Barkley getting 5 minutes- frustrating as hell, but if he conceded afterwards that he just wanted to keep control, then all is understood. Don't pretend like Everton played intricate wonderful football. Because we know what that is- we saw it last season. Be honest. Rant over.

Also, I would very much like to see Kone play more. I've love his hold-up play every time I've seen him. Also wouldn't mind seeing Lukaku being supplied by Lennon and Atsu on the wings- PAAAAACE.

Thank you for listening.
Now I will continue with my life.
tumblr_inline_ni4lzl1KPx1qzozj1.gif

Some superb observations there buddy.

exactly rogers has got Martinez number and he knows it.
3 draws and 1 loss with a far superior team and the loss was against a team where most of our players where rushed back from injury or injured during the game. Look we played too defensively but the game or result was hardly a disaster. We move on the next game and the biggest positives where 1. Besic not being dropped when McCarthy came back and 2. Ross' cameo. Both developments that I think may be more important to the success of our season than 3 points.

important point

teams pretty much cancelled each out. we never were in real danger, pretty comfortable derby tbf.

clearly martinez wanted to avoid a spanking and tactics were spot on that in mind.

bye bye Slippy, you wont be missed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back