Match Thread Everton v Newcastle United - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll.

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wonder if Howe will play Gordon? He clearly has a bit of a chip on his shoulder and could see him getting wound up by the crowd. Would probably be sensible to leave him on the bench, it's not like they need him really
I certainly don't think he'll start him.
You can see he's trying too hard to break his duck.
He'll come on with ten to go when they're four up.

Will be the first time in quite a few years the barcodes have taken their full allocation .They think they're on to something but we beat them last time with 10 men :red:

Hope can get dacoure and coleman back in the side, have onana in the squad aswell. Start dcl again have iwobi and mcneil out wide, will be a tough game but we just have to push this team on and hope we can get lucky with the other teams results

I said at the start of the month that we wouldn't win any of our last five home games, and I'm sticking to that. Anthony Gordon hat trick on the cards for this one. 🎶 The spirit of the Blues. Wooooooo 🎶

29 EVENEW.webp

Totally clutching at straws but hopefully the skunks have used up their goal allocation for the week in one game.

Never liked them as a club but they looked mighty impressive today and showed everyone what can be done with some clever management and acquisitions plus people who clearly know what they're doing in the boardroom. They've come such a long way in such a short period. Mad to think they were rock bottom of the league and cut adrift back in Dec 2021 and were in far worse state than us then.

They've got a pretty poor recent record at our place with one win in their last 10 visits, and win that was in the covid season, but with Doucoure back and Dom having just got some much needed minutes under his belt plus the vociferous support the team will get, we are capable of getting something.

Just need a 'Stop Oil' protester again and 17 minutes of added time for us to get a winner in!

I would not begrudge the geordie tramps a result after all the sanctimonious wummery we have thrown their way over the years, as long as we got the results needed to stay up anyway, and as long as every glory hunting black and white striped scruff gets webbed all over the place on their way out.

Can see them singing "going down" to us all game, as they score at will. It's what we actually deserve.

The hiding we need to go and batter City and Bournemouth.

Everton will no doubt let me down, beat the Geordies, and get relegated.

If you’d showed me Newcastles starting lineup from today 2 years ago, and asked me what position they were in I’d have said between 12th-14th, whilst not having a clue who Guimaraes was but assuming he was good because he sounds exotic. Longstaff? Burn?? Joelinton playing where??? A grumpy bleached rat on the bench??

As a team, they have been coached (very very quickly) to a level far far above what you’d expect from some of those names. Really is impressive from Howe. They are very good this year, but nowhere near as good as they were made to look today. They are fuelled by confidence every week due to their form, and that needs Goodisoning out of them as soon as they come out of the tunnel. If we start tentatively and let them settle and the crowd to lose their impetus, we can’t outplay them. I can also see them using the atmosphere to suck us into some handbags, for we will receive 2 reds and they will get the sympathy of the nation.

With Doucoure and possibly Onana back it's a bit of a dilemma in centre midfield. Assuming Coleman isn't fit, think I'd go...

--------Pickford--------
Patterson--Tarkowski--Mina (but Keane will play)--Godfrey (but Mykolenko will play)
Iwobi--Gueye--Garner--Doucoure--Mcneil
----------DCL----------

Better options from the bench with Onana, Gray and Simms. Should set up the same as against Arsenal. Press them at the right time but keep a solid and tight shape to limit space- i.e. the opposite of what Spurs did this afternoon.

Stranger things have happened than us getting a point against Newcastle or a point against City. Or even a win against one of them. But something special will only happen if there's a truly special atmosphere at Goodison, just as there was last season against Chelsea... when everyone had resigned themselves to the fact that Burnley were going to finish ahead of us.

When Goodison is rocking anything is possible.

I remember Wimbledon and I remember Coventry. I remember the trepidation and ultimately the jubilation. I didn't write us off when we were 2-0 down against Wimbledon and needed to win to stay up, so with 24 points still to play for and with 3 dire teams still below us I refuse to give up.

Dyche, rather uncharacteristically, made some mistakes against Fulham and against Palace. We have also sorely missed Doucoure since being sent off. However, our overall home record under Dyche is solid and that will keep us up... as long as we Blues keep the faith.

We fans need to treat every remaining home game as a cup final, just as we did last season. With just a few games to go last season we were actually in the relegation zone and Burnley were very much in the ascendency. But we stayed up and maintained our Premier League status... just as we will this season.

We are Everton. We don't do relegation. In our entire 140-year history we have been relegated just twice and we have enjoyed more seasons in the top division than any other club.

Resigning ourselves to relegation achieves nothing. It simply plays into the hands of those who would love to see us on our knees and relegated to the oblivion of the lower leagues.

Keep the faith, Blues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back