Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Everton v Norwich City - EFL Cup - Tuesday 20 Sept, 19.45 KO

Status
Not open for further replies.
a park the bus mentality by oppo teams will work well because GP gets toxic very quickly

At full strength we will beat any side who come for a point. Some fringe players played their way out of Everton Football Club tonight. That is the reason this competition exists. To keep squad players on their toes. They can now watch along with the fans until they are sold.

These things happen. The manager has to use his squad, he cannot just use twelve or thirteen players all season.
When you make so many changes it is hard for the team to gel. It doesn't mean the players tonight are not good enough, if they are brought into the team one or at most two at a time they would fit in and do a job.

For me , this season is about trying to finish as far up the table as possible, that is what will attract players to the club rather than a good cup run.
That said, it is a disappointing night and a disappointing result.

He hasn't played enough games to know that he would be inconsistent there plus further back he wouldn't be responsible for creating the chances.

I think the pressure gets to him and I also think against certain opposition his game just doesn't suit being played as a 10. Never has and it looks never will.

He has played enough at AM to prove he is an inconsistent player so far. I posted a while back saying I think he isn't rounded enough for CM in our current system. To play him there and for it to work (imo), Barry would have to shift back with Gana and Ross sat in front in a 4-3-3. Agree that he doesn't do well as a 10 against teams who sit deep and pack the defence.

So either we use him as a 10 only in games that will be open enough for him, or switch the system to accommodate him and hope it suits the rest of our players. Starts to make him sound like a bit of a luxury to me.

Personally I hope he can be coached into rounding his game as a 10 as he still has time on his side. If not then he needs a run at CM to prove he has what it takes there. Otherwise, he won't make it at Everton (which I'd be gutted about).

He has played enough at AM to prove he is an inconsistent player so far. I posted a while back saying I think he isn't rounded enough for CM in our current system. To play him there and for it to work (imo), Barry would have to shift back with Gana and Ross sat in front in a 4-3-3. Agree that he doesn't do well as a 10 against teams who sit deep and pack the defence.

So either we use him as a 10 only in games that will be open enough for him, or switch the system to accommodate him and hope it suits the rest of our players. Starts to make him sound like a bit of a luxury to me.

Personally I hope he can be coached into rounding his game as a 10 as he still has time on his side. If not then he needs a run at CM to prove he has what it takes there. Otherwise, he won't make it at Everton (which I'd be gutted about).
He doesn't start instead of Barry however tonight's game would have been perfect for him.

He's more creative than Cleverly and we could have played either Mirallas or Deulofeu as a 10.

But I actually thought he was OK. None of our attackers looked "on it" and I put that down to Valencia.

What team would you have started?

Rom is injured and not being risked. Barry similarly.

Cleverley and Gueye both did fine.

We started with our first choice keeper, centre-back, right-back, playmaker and debatebly our best out and out winger.

Lennon actually created the most chances and looked much better second-half.

The only 'iffy' call for me was Funes at left-back
Rom aside I would have played the same starting eleven as Saturday with Valencia starting as he did tonight . We all know that wins breeds confidence and we have looked pretty good for the start of the season , everyone would have been chomping at the bit to start tonight . Confidence high along with a high tempo game would have resulted in our progression tonight . A cup is a cup at the end of the day and I'm sure if we had won this competition there would have been many of us celebrating .

It was soon clear the formation wasn't working. The team was unbalanced and uninspired.

Valencia was ineffective and Mori was out of position. Coleman attacked constantly down the right, but Lennon contributed very little. On the left, Deulofeu made space but failed to take his chances. Without Barry, Gana was doing the work of two, and ran himself to a standstill.

Koeman was very slow/reluctant to make a change. Kone, Mirallas or even Deulofeu could have taken over at centreforward. Oviedo could have come on as leftback, or we could have switched to three at the back. It was a tactical failure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back