Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Everton v Norwich City - EFL Cup - Tuesday 20 Sept, 19.45 KO

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not a poor squad at all.

Injuries have hit us even since the close of the season - which hasn't helped but our main problem is quality depth in certain areas.

Martinez built an imbalanced squad, and it looks like our failure to add an out-and-out back-up striker will cost us.

However, there's no need to panic. It was merely a case of one too many changes last night and then the players we put out there (particularly Del and Barkley) not performing as required in front of goal.

Del's finishing is awful.

To be honest mate we have no back up striker and no creativity besides Ross who is hit and miss at the best of times.

Take those two out and is the squad really that good? that is the second time this season so far no rom = the team offers nothing up front. Doesn't really matter how solid we are at the back or how many CM we have, if none of our back up attackers can score any goals.

People are also plainly ignoring the fact that had Del or Barkley done the simple things right, then we've won that game comfortably.

Del especially showed why he doesn't deserve a starting place - and Barkley slowed everything down too much last night.#

Norwich played well as well. They came with a solid back four with two grock CBs and they left little room in behind.

But our squad isn't poor.

It lacks depth in certain areas - namely, striker and midfield.

Bare in mind that McCarthy and Besic are both injured already though. We still have a big squad.

We finished 11th and unless you finished top 6 or are Chelsea/Liverpool, getting top-quality players in purely as 'cover' doesn't happen.

While we should have done better in the window I also take the above into account.
'Certain areas' - but don't you think a Premier League club aiming for a top 6 finish SHOULD have good cover in those areas? Why are we relying on League One standard players to come in if only ONE player (Lukaku) picks up an injury. WBA, Middlesbrough, West Ham, even Sunderland have more strength in depth up front, albeit don't have as good an individual as Lukaku. Why do we have three waste of space players there?

McCarthy has proven the past two years he's useless, and Besic isn't worth talking about, he'll hopefully be sold at the first opportunity, along with Gibson.

And I am not demanding 'top quality' players as cover, but somebody who could come in and do a job, which none of Kone, Niasse and Valencia can as they are all appalling. We had two cups to go for and a long league campaign... surely we could have attracted better than Enner fooking Valencia to come into the squad. It just stinks of no money being made available, plain and simple.

To be honest mate we have no back up striker and no creativity besides Ross who is hit and miss at the best of times.

Take those two out and is the squad really that good? that is the second time this season so far no rom = the team offers nothing up front. Doesn't really matter how solid we are at the back or how many CM we have, if none of our back up attackers can score any goals.

How can you say we have no creativity when Bolasie has literally been the most creative player we've had in ages since he's come into the side?

I'm not saying we shouldn't have done better in the market - we clearly could have done. However, we have a good squad. Just lacks in certain areas - which is what stops it being a 'great' squad.

How can you say we have no creativity when Bolasie has literally been the most creative player we've had in ages since he's come into the side?

I'm not saying we shouldn't have done better in the market - we clearly could have done. However, we have a good squad. Just lacks in certain areas - which is what stops it being a 'great' squad.
ok then. I will re word it

how good is the squad when we can't score goals away from our main striker? When the wingers can put the ball in the right positions and no-one can finish it? ross offers both creativity and a goal threat in that position so he is part of the importance of that.

So no matter how well we defend or pass the ball about etc, if there is nothing in the squad besides one player who can score, then what does that mean for the quality of it?

Especially when you look at other clubs. Liverpool have at least 4, southampton had at least 3, chelsea have 3, united have about 50 lol, city have 3 first choice, arsenal have 3 etc

we have one. One player who looks likeley to score and as we have found out, if he isn't on the pitch then we look hopeless. Our 'back ups' won't score 10 goals between them.

'Certain areas' - but don't you think a Premier League club aiming for a top 6 finish SHOULD have good cover in those areas? Why are we relying on League One standard players to come in if only ONE player (Lukaku) picks up an injury. WBA, Middlesbrough, West Ham, even Sunderland have more strength in depth up front, albeit don't have as good an individual as Lukaku. Why do we have three waste of space players there?

McCarthy has proven the past two years he's useless, and Besic isn't worth talking about, he'll hopefully be sold at the first opportunity, along with Gibson.

And I am not demanding 'top quality' players as cover, but somebody who could come in and do a job, which none of Kone, Niasse and Valencia can as they are all appalling. We had two cups to go for and a long league campaign... surely we could have attracted better than Enner fooking Valencia to come into the squad. It just stinks of no money being made available, plain and simple.

None of the teams you name have any quality, reliable depth up front.

I stopped reading there.

ok then. I will re word it

how good is the squad when we can't score goals away from our main striker? When the wingers can put the ball in the right positions and no-one can finish it? ross offers both creativity and a goal threat in that position so he is part of the importance of that.

So no matter how well we defend or pass the ball about etc, if there is nothing in the squad besides one player who can score, then what does that mean for the quality of it?

Especially when you look at other clubs. Liverpool have at least 4, southampton had at least 3, chelsea have 3, united have about 50 lol, city have 3 first choice, arsenal have 3 etc

we have one. One player who looks likeley to score and as we have found out, if he isn't on the pitch then we look hopeless. Our 'back ups' won't score 10 goals between them.

But there clearly is more than one player in the squad that can score - considering we've scored 10 goals in 5 league games this season and 'the only player that can score' has only got 4 of those

But there clearly is more than one player in the squad that can score - considering we've scored 10 goals in 5 league games this season and 'the only player that can score' has only got 4 of those
ok

and how many have we scored without rom on the pitch?

1, and it was a dodgy freekick that should have been saved.

As i sad the team can't score without rom on the pitch. Every time he isn't there, the team haven't got a clue.

Pretty painful watching that last night.

Couple of things stood out for me:

Gareth Barry needs to be kept wrapped in cotton wool - yet again we looked poor without him.

Tom Cleverley doesn't seem to be able to influence a game at all - sad really because I thought he started pretty well last year but didnt take his chance last night.

Barkley needs to trust himself to shoot first time. I have been a Barkley supporter and can't believe some of the abuse he gets but despite the fact he is still young he isnt a kid anymore and he needs to do more to influence games. Over the last three games would Kieran Dowell have done any worse? Barkley has all the tools in his locker but i am worried he is going to go the way of Rodwell (too much Birkdale and not enough Kirkdale) in terms of his attitude and want to fight on the pitch. I thought he did ok against Boro but where has the player who scored the goal against Man City gone? The driving runs have dried up and he looks to play safe too often for a player that we are relying on to see and play key defence splitting passes.

We do seriously need a quality back up to Lukaku because whats behind him (still reserve judgement on Valencia for now) isnt good enough.

Geri butchered his chances for a start at the weekend and on that showing Lennon will have jumped the queue. Has to sometimes play the simple ball straight away.

None of the teams you name have any quality, reliable depth up front.

I stopped reading there.
Shows what you know then, doesn't it?

WBA:
Rondon, Berahino - both of whom are miles better than any of Kone, Niasse, Valencia. I'd argue even Robson-Kanu is better as at least he'd put a shift in each game and probably fluke the odd goal.

Middlesbrough:
See above, but replace WBA players with Negrado, Rhodes and Stuani who looks like a decent signing.

West Ham:
Sakho, Carroll, Ayew, Zaza. Enough said.

Sunderland:
I'll take back this one, having looked at their squad. Only Defoe who is essentially their Lukaku, as all they have in reserve is Watmore, Borini and Anichebe.

But let's go on...

Watford:
Deeney, Ighalo - that's two good players to challenge up front compared to our one.

Stoke:
Bony, Bojan, Arnautovic. I'd also argue Walters, Crouch and Diouf offer miles more than Niasse, Kone, Valencia.

So there, having just taken a quick five-minute look, are five teams who have much more strength in depth up front than us. Five teams who we are supposed to be miles better than, but, should Lukaku get a bad injury, would no doubt race ahead of us in the league. Their strikers not banging the goals in? Not their fault the rest of the team is rubbish. Put any of the above in our team in place of Lukaku and they'd all score loads more than Kone, Niasse and Valencia.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back