Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Everton v Norwich City - EFL Cup - Tuesday 20 Sept, 19.45 KO

Status
Not open for further replies.
We just have to get on with it and get over it.

If it serves a useful purpose then it will have re-iterated to Koeman our lack of depth/cover/quality, as you will, in certain areas. I don't think he will have particularly needed that reminder anyway.

We have a clear run in the league until the New Year so let's hope we have luck with injuries. I don't particularly expect us to be busy in January but if we were in the Top 6 by then and got another signing or two in that would be a big boost.

If we beat Bournemouth last night will be quickly forgotten and I am expecting a reaction.
You say that, but we had an entire window to find backup for Rom and failed. Why do you think anything will be different in January.

But no team is AS reliant on Rom as us. Other teams can muddle through and grind out results even if they lose their star man.

We are screwed and that could have been improved.

So can we? We managed a draw against the side that finished third last season without Rom, and had Del had his shooting boots on most likely would have won.

A lot of people are very good on here at making broad sweeping generalisations without much evidence to back up their point.

Rom being key is fit. Clearly.

Doesn't mean we have a bad squad - just means we needed more cover but 'good' cover is hard to find - as if they're first choice for a club that finished 12th, why leave to be second choice for a club that doesn't offer any European football as it stands?

Similarly, why would a back-up striker at a club in Europe leave to be back up striker at a club not in Europe.

So can we? We managed a draw against the side that finished third last season without Rom, and had Del had his shooting boots on most likely would have won.

A lot of people are very good on here at making broad sweeping generalisations without much evidence to back up their point.

Rom being key is fit. Clearly.

Doesn't mean we have a bad squad - just means we needed more cover but 'good' cover is hard to find - as if they're first choice for a club that finished 12th, why leave to be second choice for a club that doesn't offer any European football as it stands?

Similarly, why would a back-up striker at a club in Europe leave to be back up striker at a club not in Europe.
Against better sides ironically it would be less of a loss however if we go into a lot of games against mid table and below teams then we would drop an awful lot of points just simply down to the fact we can't score. It sort of limits what we can expect to take from the game no matter who the opposition is. We could have played for a week against Norwich and not scored and that's at home against Norwich.

That "100m WAR CHEST!!!!" would've come in handy. Because if that's life with a few injuries to key players, we're in deep trouble!

That was embarrassing last night though. Apart from Gueye and Williams (most of the night) no one played well.

You say that, but we had an entire window to find backup for Rom and failed. Why do you think anything will be different in January.

I didn't say that it would be different, we can only hope we might get a decent signing or two, that's all. I was as critical and as disappointed as anyone with how the last week or two of the window unfolded. We were left short in more than one area and by no means did enough to address it.

The problem is that it will be difficult to judge any improvement in January as it is even worse than the summer for inflated prices and getting clubs to part with players.

Good kick up the backside for all those of us (myself included) who were getting all dreamy about start to the season.
Mind, we've always failed in the League Cup so it's not a massive surprise to loose. But it was Norwich :(

I didn't say that it would be different, we can only hope we might get a decent signing or two, that's all. I was as critical and as disappointed as anyone with how the last week or two of the window unfolded. We were left short in more than one area and by no means did enough to address it.

The problem is that it will be difficult to judge any improvement in January as it is even worse than the summer for inflated prices and getting clubs to part with players.
Good players move in January all the time. There's always a player lower down somewhere who is out performing his mid-table club that would look to move up and test himself or someone who plays for a champions league team that have been knocked out at the group stage.

The other thing is that realistically anyone who would join must think Rom is most likely off in the summer so there would be a good chance to stake their claim to be our starter.

They bought for reasonable money, Janssen for exactly this reason. A player who was scoring for fun last season.

It may not work out but you can't blame their board.

We loaned Valencia.

I'm not comparing Valencia and Janssen mate - Janssen is a good player (albeit one unproved at this level).

However, I was just pointing out that - as those stats shown in the little clip clearly show - we aren't the only side reliant on our best player...

I think there is a need to be dissapointed, as a loss is a loss but a lacklustre one is more difficult to take.

Agree with what you say as very early days and we will improve
I'm not saying don't be disappointed - I certainly am.

I'm saying there's no need to be upset, no need to mass-fume-meltdown.

I'm not comparing Valencia and Janssen mate - Janssen is a good player (albeit one unproved at this level).

However, I was just pointing out that - as those stats shown in the little clip clearly show - we aren't the only side reliant on our best player...
But those stats don't show that because we haven't seen what Janssen will be like as a loan striker. He could very easily go on a run something Valencia is incapable of doing.

We want to compare ourselves to the likes of Spurs, Liverpool...

Spurs' strikers:
Kane, Janssen, Son

RS strikers:
Firminho, Sturridge, Ings, Origi

Us:
Lukaku, Kone, Niasse, Valencia

---

then look at the 'Barkley role' and what we can offer there:

Us:
Barkley, then an out-of-position Mirallas of Deulofeu. Other than that, nobody.

Spurs:
Lamela, Dembele, Alli, Son can play there too, as can Eriksen

RS:
Lallana, Mane, Henderson, Wijnaldum, Coutinho

---

Even the keepers... Stekelenberg/Robles vs Lloris/Vorm vs Mignolet/Karius.

So that's two absolutely KEY positions we only have one good player for, and of the two (Lukaku/Barkley) you can only rely on one of them, and the other is looking like he is going backwards fast.

We're absolutely lightyears behind those two clubs and it will show over the season.

But those stats don't show that because we haven't seen what Janssen will be like as a loan striker. He could very easily go on a run something Valencia is incapable of doing.

Janssen has played 206 minutes so far this season. The only effect he's had was when he came on against u s- playing in a two.

We haven't seen Valencia play in a two yet either.

I think you're right in that Janssen hasn't been here long enough to judge - but my point was Spurs have been reliant on Kane just as much as we have been on Rom...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back