Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Everton v Norwich City - EFL Cup - Tuesday 20 Sept, 19.45 KO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last night showed to everyone how much deadwood we have at the club. I thought these were players trying to prove a starting place to the manager? Well they've only confirmed to him why they will not be starting anytime soon. Koeman can't escape criticism either, playing Mori out of position was a bad decision. And he should of changed it at half time, anybody could see it wasn't working.

ok

and how many have we scored without rom on the pitch?

1, and it was a dodgy freekick that should have been saved.

As i sad the team can't score without rom on the pitch. Every time he isn't there, the team haven't got a clue.

It's a good point Ash, and is a worry - but we're not the only side reliant on a top player.

But you can't just 'replace' that with a back up striker mate. The reason they are a back up striker in the first place is because they aren't good enough to be first choice?

To me, it just indicates the players we do have need to improve.

Barkley and Del - as I have said - both missed two very good chances each yesterday. Del's finishing has been bloody awful this season.

We have been creating the chances but failed to put them away - and it cost us yesterday. HOpefully, it gives us a kick up the arse that was needed.

Also, I think Koeman will know he got it slightly wrong with the team selection last night.

But from a first-team perspective, it shows how key players like Baines, Jags and Barry are - as well as Rom.

We're out. It's not the first time we've been beat by a lesser side and won't be the last.

Shows what you know then, doesn't it?

WBA:
Rondon, Berahino - both of whom are miles better than any of Kone, Niasse, Valencia. I'd argue even Robson-Kanu is better as at least he'd put a shift in each game and probably fluke the odd goal.

Middlesbrough:
See above, but replace WBA players with Negrado, Rhodes and Stuani who looks like a decent signing.

West Ham:
Sakho, Carroll, Ayew, Zaza. Enough said.

Sunderland:
I'll take back this one, having looked at their squad. Only Defoe who is essentially their Lukaku, as all they have in reserve is Watmore, Borini and Anichebe.

But let's go on...

Watford:
Deeney, Ighalo - that's two good players to challenge up front compared to our one.

Stoke:
Bony, Bojan, Arnautovic. I'd also argue Walters, Crouch and Diouf offer miles more than Niasse, Kone, Valencia.

So there, having just taken a quick five-minute look, are five teams who have much more strength in depth up front than us. Five teams who we are supposed to be miles better than, but, should Lukaku get a bad injury, would no doubt race ahead of us in the league. Their strikers not banging the goals in? Not their fault the rest of the team is rubbish. Put any of the above in our team in place of Lukaku and they'd all score loads more than Kone, Niasse and Valencia.

Right -

WBA
Pulis said at the weekend (and I know, I covered his presser): 'We've lost Saido. He isn't at the form he was 18 months ago'

Boro
We just beat them comfortably at our place. They offered little threat and ended up bringing Nugent on - their goal came from a foul. Don't think any of their forwards are yet to score.

WHU
Sakho's move to WBA fell through due to injury. He hasn't featured in a matchday squad yet. Carroll is permanently crocked. Ayew is out for three months and is no more of a goal threat than Kev/Bolasie as he's a winger. Zaza has been awful (again, I have covered every one of their games this season and he really has been tosh so far) and is getting roundly slated by West Ham fans and pundits.

Watford
Deeney and Ighalo would be ideal as back-up forwards. Their forward line isn't better than ours.

Stoke
Bottom of the league - Bojan and Arnautovic are wingers and playmakers just like Kev, Bolasie and Del. Bony looks a shadow of his former self, Diouf's goal record is worse than Valencia's.

Stop it.

It's a good point Ash, and is a worry - but we're not the only side reliant on a top player.

But you can't just 'replace' that with a back up striker mate. The reason they are a back up striker in the first place is because they aren't good enough to be first choice?

Barkley and Del - as I have said - both missed two very good chances each yesterday. Del's finishing has been bloody awful this season.

We have been creating the chances but failed to put them away - and it cost us yesterday. HOpefully, it gives us a kick up the arse that was needed.

Also, I think Koeman will know he got it slightly wrong with the team selection last night.

But from a first-team perspective, it shows how key players like Baines, Jags and Barry are - as well as Rom.

We're out. It's not the first time we've been beat by a lesser side and won't be the last.
Thing is, i don't believe rom being the 20 + goals striker is all that important within the team. Anyone who can be a target man could be used, who can hold the ball up and be a target in the box. Hence why not having it vs west brom and we didn't have a clue bar hitting it long to del to run after, and the minute he came on the team suddenly looked like it had shape. Considering Rom didn't score in that game, it wasn't his goals, but just having a target man up front.

i would like to hope january the first we are finalising the signing of one, priority signing as valencia and kone may as well not be on the pitch for what they offer.

this is what i mean about the squad not being great in that respect. When you cant swap some players out and still have the system work then the squad then fails in that regard. Yes the players rested are key for us, and take 4-5 first choices out of any team and they may struggle. But last night the only difference between us going through and going out was just having someone to hit the target!

Thing is, i don't believe rom being the 20 + goals striker is all that important within the team. Anyone who can be a target man could be used, who can hold the ball up and be a target in the box. Hence why not having it vs west brom and we didn't have a clue bar hitting it long to del to run after, and the minute he came on the team suddenly looked like it had shape. Considering Rom didn't score in that game, it wasn't his goals, but just having a target man up front.

i would like to hope january the first we are finalising the signing of one, priority signing as valencia and kone may as well not be on the pitch for what they offer.

this is what i mean about the squad not being great in that respect. When you cant swap some players out and still have the system work then the squad then fails in that regard. Yes the players rested are key for us, and take 4-5 first choices out of any team and they may struggle. But last night the only difference between us going through and going out was just having someone to hit the target!

I agree a target man would be great. I think it would give us something we lack up top full-stop.

Getting a player who guarantees results is the difficulty. Walsh and Koeman will have their targets, I'm sure. They just need to make sure that the people responsible then get the deals done - and Moshiri needs to make sure of this also.

We just have to get on with it and get over it.

If it serves a useful purpose then it will have re-iterated to Koeman our lack of depth/cover/quality, as you will, in certain areas. I don't think he will have particularly needed that reminder anyway.

We have a clear run in the league until the New Year so let's hope we have luck with injuries. I don't particularly expect us to be busy in January but if we were in the Top 6 by then and got another signing or two in that would be a big boost.

If we beat Bournemouth last night will be quickly forgotten and I am expecting a reaction.

Were we going to win every single game? No.

Do we need to keep a realistic head on? Yes.

Even the '85 side got knocked out of this cup by lower league opposition.

There is no need to be upset.
I think there is a need to be dissapointed, as a loss is a loss but a lacklustre one is more difficult to take.

Agree with what you say as very early days and we will improve

Must admit I had an uneasy feeling about this game especially when the line up was revealed. Does show some fringe players are not good enough. But we are stuck with them.

Hold on, are you saying that having a striker that scores 20 + goals is not that important and it doesn't win you games ? I'm confused !

Hold on, are you saying that having a striker that scores 20 + goals is not that important and it doesn't win you games ? I'm confused !
I'm saying not having an out and out striker means we struggle to score goals.

Either rom scores, or the rest of the team find it easier to score. Without the centre forward, the team seems to struggle when they get into the other half.

But no team is AS reliant on Rom as us. Other teams can muddle through and grind out results even if they lose their star man.

We are screwed and that could have been improved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back