Match Thread Everton v Nottingham Forest - Pre-Match Chat, Match Report & MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I don’t agree. There have been games where teams have more than one pen given, there’s nothing to say that other pens don’t happen if the first or second are given.

If the first or second is given, there is every chance Young gets a red card as well.
But for them occur at exactly the same time under the exact same circumstances is virtually impossible due to the time being added for a penalty to be taken.
Any further incidents that happens after the 1st or 2nd penalty award don't happen the same way.

You could just as easily say that there will be just as much chance as us getting 2 penalties as well as them.

Also if the first one is given then Young gets a yellow and his game changes the way he plays it.

Last edited:
Natural position doesn’t matter anymore. Handballs are given this season when the arm is away from the body.

The pen against Wan Bissaka in the cup against Coventry is a good example, his was closer to his body and he looked like he was pulling it away, but it was still given.

If those decisions went against us, this board would be in uproar, we’ve been in uproar over much less obvious decisions many times. It would be better to recognise it happening to all teams and pressure them together, into trying to improve the refereeing.
For me first one wasn’t, the handball 50/50. The final one yeah. Get over it.

Heck why don’t we just cut off the players arms, introduce throw in robots and be done with it.

No, you don’t get it. It could have gone in a different direction but there is nothing to say that other pen calls wouldn’t have occurred, which may/may not have been controversial. Those exact calls may still have occurred, just because it goes in a different direction a bit doesn’t mean other events definitely don’t occur.

This argument is a bit of a pointless argument though, this is how it did happen. Theorising on other possible worlds where X might/might not occur is not that useful.
You definitely do not get it. If the first 'penalty' had been given, the subsequent passage of play for the rest of the first half would have been different. It's as simple as that. If you can't grasp that, then there is no point in further replies to you...

Most penalties awarded aren't penalties IMO. The forwards are at it all the time and the refs are mugs.

I wouldn't give a pen unless the defender literally pulled out a gun and threatened to shoot the attacker.
Not too much of an overstatement. It used to be said of Ferguson’s Man U that to get a penalty at OT you would have to produce a death certificate.

You definitely do not get it. If the first 'penalty' had been given, the subsequent passage of play for the rest of the first half would have been different. It's as simple as that. If you can't grasp that, then there is no point in further replies to you...

That’s the point, there is nothing in giving the first penalty, that has any direct cause or impact, that means the others wouldn’t be given. You are also stating things MUST be different if the pen is given, but that is not true.

There is actually nothing that directly means the subsequent passage of play must be different. If the first pen was given, taken, after that the rest of the play could resume and be exactly the same as it was before.

This is just an “other possible worlds” theory but it’s really a bit pointless. What happened, happened.

But for them occur at exactly the same time under the exact same circumstances is virtually impossible due to the time being added for a penalty to be taken.
Any further incidents that happens after the 1st or 2nd penalty award don't happen the same way.

You could just as easily say that there will be just as much chance as us getting 2 penalties as well as them.

Also if the first one is given then Young gets a yellow and his game changes the way he plays it.

So yes some of that is true, things might go differently, but you were originally saying that two penalties definitely don’t happen if the first is given, and all I am arguing is that isn’t certainly the case.

So yes some of that is true, things might go differently, but you were originally saying that two penalties definitely don’t happen if the first is given, and all I am arguing is that isn’t certainly the case.
The other 2 pens as they were defo don't happen if the first is given.
Obviously anything else can happen but they are arguing they should have had 3 pens by what happened.
I merely pointed out that the ref had 3 opportunities to give a penalty, that's all they should be arguing about.