Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Match Thread Everton v Watford. 8th Aug at 15.00.

Do you reckon we will win?

• Yes

Votes: 299 60.5%
  • No

Votes: 90 18.2%
  • Draw

Votes: 105 21.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
They looked a completely different team. Obviously Martinez played a role as did the change bringing on Kone but a kick up the ass can help too.

I remember the same thing in the game against Kiev at home where they were walking around playing the game at walking pace and the crowd started booing and we saw a completely different team.

Obviously no one wants to see booing and it can create a toxic atmosphere but after a performance like that 1st half display it's completely justified.

I have to admit to booing yesterday. It's purely out of total exasperation but weirdly it seemed to get the message across. Not just yesterday but many times last season (when I didn't boo). It's like at that point martinez rips up the tippy tappy directionless nonsense football and goes more direct and with more urgency. The tippy tappy stuff isn't negative. It's just predictable and without ever looking like it's going to lead to a goal any time soon, it leads to the same inevitable heart-sinking outcome almost every time. Ie One misplaced pass, interception, everyone out of position, goal conceded. And I can only speak for myself but that's probably why I succumbed to booing yesterday for the first time ever. I was happier with the second half - just

1zxve5i.png

All together now...
Tippy tappy tippy tappy tippy tappy HOOF!

Doesn't even make sense either as we had about double their short passes too!

But it does confirm what happened. Everton made no progress with their short passing in the first half.

They abandoned this at half time and started playing long balls from the back.

Has Roberto changed his philosophy? I don't know.

I actually thought we moved the ball quicker, and got it forward quicker when Barry dropped back.

We started with our usual 4-2-3-1 and played the ball slowly from side to side. Watford were able to counter the formation and the pace.

After half time, Howard and Jagielka started playing long balls up to Lukaku. We were still a goal down after 63 minutes when Roberto changed the formation to two up - call it 4-4-2. Our play then became more positive and more urgent. We created much more, but were more vulnerable to counter attacks.

Our starting formation and pace gave us no initiative. Watford put on a respectable performance, especially considering that they had six new faces, and used players from 13 nations. I suppose that Cathcart and Watson talk to each other.

I don't think that we needed both Barry and McCarthy to protect the defence. But Roberto was reluctant to make a change. And I think we'll be more cautious at Southampton - as we were at Chelsea in January.

horrible that we play with 2 holding midfielders at home to Watford.bar unless the big teams come to town we should never have 2 holding players

It was the usual load of [Poor language removed] we play !!

It certainly was in the first half. I can't believe that they play like that in training, or that Roberto sends them out to play like that in a game.

He can't be satisfied either. He - for who could it be if not Roberto? - changed the style at half time and then changed the formation a little later to give a much more positive approach.

What conclusions he will draw from the game I don't know. Perhaps he will accept that, without Baines, a return to the success of his first season is unlikely. In that case, he may look for a new approach.

I think that Roberto has shown that he is a genuinely creative manager. How he - and we - got stuck in this present quagmire, I can't understand.

However, I think that he will accept that this team is not equipped to go toe to toe with Southampton. So I expect to see Barry and McCarthy back in place, and with an appearance possible for Besic too, if he is fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back