Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Match Thread Everton v Watford. 8th Aug at 15.00.

Do you reckon we will win?

• Yes

Votes: 299 60.5%
  • No

Votes: 90 18.2%
  • Draw

Votes: 105 21.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I vote they play - Sonny and Cher - 'I got you babe' before every home game.....

Years ago I suggested "Bloodsport" and got truly hounded.

Jags needs to wake up, make himself a presence and drive us.

I'm not confident that we'll be getting any new, permanent signings .. previously when existing players have signed new long term contracts at the beginning of the season we've not brought anyone in of any note as (basically) the money's gone. A decent loan is possible but they usually happen at the 11th hour and by then we'll be bottom (or near) so who would want to come in that event ?

Alright lads? Morning is here and we have all had plenty of time to sleep on it.
In some ways, this is not the first game of a new season, it is a continuation of last season so let us not expect too much.

In good news, Sunderland were worse than us and made Leicester look like Brazil 1970. So I do not want to here anybody saying we are the worst team in the Premiership! (It just feels like it)

Toughen up and gird your loins, its going to be a long one.

I am very pro Martinez but his statement of the team being in "pre-season mode" has really angered me.

After last season at Goodison, he should've drilled it into everyone to make Goodison a fortress but this pre-season crap is so unprofessional and screams that as a manager he has doubt in this squad and dressing room.

Our captain should also be getting it both barrels for ripping a stripe out of the pre-season players but he doesn't.

These both need to up their game this season because the 1st 10 games will determine European football.

I am very pro Martinez but his statement of the team being in "pre-season mode" has really angered me.

After last season at Goodison, he should've drilled it into everyone to make Goodison a fortress but this pre-season crap is so unprofessional and screams that as a manager he has doubt in this squad and dressing room.

Our captain should also be getting it both barrels for ripping a stripe out of the pre-season players but he doesn't.

These both need to up their game this season because the 1st 10 games will determine European football.

I did make mentions of this mythical Fortress Goodison during the match yesterday. Roberto has added cotton wool to the once sturdy walls with the tactics :(

I,ve seen enough and I bet quite a few blue noses feel the same way even though we don,t want to admit it.
New blood in the coming weeks is needed for the season but brown shoes will not be conducting another preseason at this club.

I,ve seen enough and I bet quite a few blue noses feel the same way even though we don,t want to admit it.
New blood in the coming weeks is needed for the season but brown shoes will not be conducting another preseason at this club.
what was wrong with our pre season other that it lasted 45mins too long?

I was considering searching for some of my previous posts from match threads last season and simply copying and pasting comments.

It's not all doom and gloom as some people may try to make out, but it was a far from pleasing performance. Too many of the same problems.

First half was lethargic and Watford quite easily applied the strategy that many others adopted last season: sit deep and let us pass it aimlessly.

I could easily mention a few names of players who looked off canter, yet primarily it was our overall approach that made it cringe worthy viewing.

It was the same old approach: no width; laboured passing; little directness; aimless balls to a centre forward who struggles in the air.

Second half was a marked improvement on the first where the majority of the lads seemed more eager. Kone and Oviedo clearly helped late on!

Nevertheless it was still a difficult watch as again width wasn't used effectively (should be a strength) and too many wasted balls lofted forward.

First game of the season and it seemed as if we were void of ideas; this is probably the aspect that worried me the most! Same old, same old.

Defensively it wasn't too convincing either. Great teams are built from the back, but as always we looked lacking and overly frail.

Maybe it was a fault of some pre-season carry, although I watched other teams yesterday they seem so much more fluid, direct and entertaining.

We've got some difficult opposition coming up and if we continue to adopt our standard ineffective approach then we're going to struggle.

If Mirallas is injured as many may suspect, then we will have absolutely no width at all. This will just nullify us even more than we were yesterday.

We need new faces to add genuine width, some creativity and pace (off the ball and with passing) and there needs to be competition at the back.

Positives were Galloway, Kone getting a goal and some guile shown. We scored two as well. Yet against Watford are they good enough?

yep , he normally has a smile or a focused look. today his body language wasn't the usual. lots of looking at the floor , sunken shoulders , and a look on his face like hes just had to scrape spot the family dog off the motorway and bury him. it sadly reminded me of lescotts demeanour in his last game.(ok perhaps not as bad , but along the same lines)
He looked like he'd lost his wallet when they were lined up to come out on the ground. Had a very unhappy look about him.
It was probably nothing,but, yer know. We're talking about John Stones.

Last edited:
Not just that but our approach. Same approach as last year and Watford knew exactly what to do.

That's true. We found dead ends on both wings in the first half. The music at half time was turned up so loud that it was difficult to talk. Was that really to disguise the boos? Were the staff ready and waiting for them?

In the second half we started to play long balls towards Lukaku. If Roberto instructed that, it would be a complete change of his philosophy. Any way, it did get the ball into their half and we were able to fight for possession.

Watford have bought eight players, and started with six of them. They looked like a team with a common purpose. I'm not sure where we're going.

Match of the day highlights made us look quite unlucky I thought.....however very infuriated about the two testicles (shearer and mills) taking it upon themselves to sell stones to chelsea. great coverage by the bad bell whiffs!

Why do we never stop the cross?!

This is the 1st cross which led to their throw in.

Mirallas jogging back not getting tight, Coleman standing there 5 yard away with arms behind his back doesn't close the player down just sticks his leg out.

It's Holebas their left back on the overlap putting the ball in so you'd think Mirallas would be tracking.

nt5EGgW.jpg

This is the 2nd cross from which they score.

Mirallas once again jogging back, he actually slows to a stop even before Jurado puts the ball in. McCarthy should have gone to close down the cross not a Watford player near him and Coleman... what the hell is he doing?!

BVNIfFD.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back