Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Match Thread Everton v Watford. 8th Aug at 15.00.

Do you reckon we will win?

• Yes

Votes: 299 60.5%
  • No

Votes: 90 18.2%
  • Draw

Votes: 105 21.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
We will win enough games to keep us out of the bottom three, so that will please Blue Bill. Seems EFC are happy to just be mid-table cannon fodder these days as it does keep the sky millions rolling in

yeah cos dropping 2 points against Arsenal is much worse than dropping 2 points against Watford.

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

We dropped 3 points against Arsenal, took a major hit with goal difference, and got totally humiliated on our home ground on the opening day of the season. In comparison, today was a non-event. Perspective.

I thought we were talking about the 2-2 at the beginning of last season where we battered them for 80 minutes and conceded to cheap goals at the end.

No mate, the day we turned up with real optimism about the forthcoming season only to be dry bummed by Wenger & to realise that our defender was just gonna no be ar5ed until he got his move to citeh.

One of our biggest problems yesterday was mccarthy's passing, continually played loose balls or passes with no pace. This didn't allow us to build properly in midfield and instead we were constantly on the back foot because of it.

Lukaku doesn't have a first touch so play to his strengths and give him balls to run on to, it's also pointless playing long balls to him. If he wins the header there's nobody in a 30yard radius to retrieve the ball.

Galloway, not blaming him for the result but we had an attacking left back on the bench, why isn't he starting. Barry then got switched there, I know this allowed kone to come on but it should have just been a straight swap in both instances at the same time. oviedo for Galloway and kone for Barry, at least then the formation is getting played with the correct players for each position for as long as possible. But Galloway did look lost and the ball was getting played in behind him quite a lot.

Haven't felt right about Ross since his comeback last season, today was no exception. Anybody can what he does, gets the ball spins around 3 times and passes back to macca or Barry. Yes his goal was good and we can expect that for the rest of his career. However, is all round play has stagnated, we shouldn't be talking about his potential anymore, he's had 2 seasons (apart from 2 months) in this team and league and he still hasn't got to grips with the pace and how quickly defenders and midfielders press and close down, he still hasn't made the switch from reserve team standards, I hope he proves me wrong.

So much better with 2 up top, it's just obvious and I don't know why we don't revert back to it permanently. Teams aren't expecting 2 strikers anymore with all these fancy pointless formations. Go old school, exploit the space with two natural wingers and get balls into box. When kone came on this worked, we were throwing crosses into the area, kone and rom both nearly scored from it and Ross's goal came from a cross to kone that he laid off.

Not gonna berate the players or manager to the point of vitriol some have used here but I am disappointed that we haven't learned from last season. If we bring in Austin and xaquiri we'll look a lot more positive going forward. If it happens I'd set up like this. Left Baines out cos if his longer injury than del boy's.

Howard
Coleman Stones Jags Oviedo
McCarthy
Deulofeu Mirallas
Xaquiri
Austin Lukaku

Bounce back implies we have had a sudden dip and need to spring back to where we where, a 2-2 draw with Watford is where we have been for a year. Beating Southampton wouldn't be a bounce it would be a complete reversal of form. We are a bottom half of the league team, loss a few players and we are relegation strugglers. Without major change this is who we are.

My Observations:
1.)I 100% do NOT blame the tactics for this result, Watford is going to surprise alot of people this season(How can they fiel a team BTW(I only saw 2 english players in their 18)
2.) I believe cleverley is actual what we needed
3.)Stones is still just 20, that 2nd goal was just a great play from a wiley vet. Stones along with the rest of the team will get better as the season progresses
4.)Ross had a GREAT game, made his usual mistakes but more than made up for them.
5.)That was a great finish by Kone, he completely changed the game when he came on. His best performance in a blue shirt by far.
6.)We definitely need our guys to get healthy and 3+ more signings are needed for sure.

1. Can't agree. Roberto got it wrong tactically with Cleverly, Barry, McCarthy in the middle, Watford went right by them for the first goal with quick play down the flank then Layun got free in between the defence and the midfield. Shouldn't Barry or McCarthy or Cleverly be picking up Layun? However Roberto got it right in the second half with Galloway off, Kone on.

3. Stones shouldn't have gone to ground, opened up the goal.

6. We're not getting 3+ more signings... 3 at best I imagine!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back