Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Match Thread Everton v Watford. 8th Aug at 15.00.

Do you reckon we will win?

• Yes

Votes: 299 60.5%
  • No

Votes: 90 18.2%
  • Draw

Votes: 105 21.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Really?? At home to Watford, who let's face it will be relegation fodder. Today was as a million miles away from being an acceptable performance at goodison park

Promoted teams are always underestimated as they're a completely unknown quantity. People are always looking for reasons to be annoyed than the to be positive. After the first half it was a good performance today.

One thing that made today 10 times more frustrating was the constant timewasting from Watford. Embarrassing.

To be brutally honest I would cash in on Stones, McCarthy and Coleman.

How much do you reckon we could currently get for them 3. Stones I believe will eventually turn into the best CB this country has seen for decades but not until about 4-5 years.

Coleman is great attacking sometimes but we need a more defensive minded player.

McCarthy for me flatters to deceive just like in his Ireland shirt and needs to learn how to pass better.

I am sure we can get better, maybe not all round players but better defensively (being there only attribute) with the massive amount of money we get from there sales.

Our defence on paper looks good but on the pitch is lacking closing down and tight marking. At this moment in time I would prefer a defence of grocks who just give it the ''ave it' rather than the sh it scared defenders who won't close players down and defend properly (looking pretty on the ball does not constitute a good defender). Our defence is easy to play against.

ps. I have just come back from the pub so please go easy on me for my suggestions.

I don't think the problem lies with the players, maybe not even with the manager. There appears to be an alarming malaise of players either not taking responsibility or trying to do too much and not spotting better options. There just seems to be a lack of professionalism somehow, in our approach. It is very hard to pinpoint exactly who or what is to blame. I would have liked to have seen 3 or 4 players come in to freshen things up. We have some superb talent, but they look a bit flat tbh. Farcical when you think of what they earn and how privileged they are to represent Everton FC. But that is the modern day curse of financially driven football.

Good job you added this line, mate. Was about to tear you a new one.

Alcohol makes some people merry, some people angry and clearly, some people very, very silly!

Personally I'm a fan of keeping our best players because without them we're left with Steven Naismith, Tony Hibbert and the cinders of a lofty dream of being a footballing power once again.

Coleman does a good job going forward, Stones is comfortable with the ball at his feet and looks barca material but how good are they at actual defending?

McCarthy in midfield can break play up and that's it. His passing is awful and he doesn't break his neck at making himself available to receive a pass. I could go through the whole teams weaknesses as I see them but those 3 could bring in a hell of a lot of money and be replaced a lot cheaper for the job in hand and the remainder of the money could be used for more forward thinking players to get us moving quicker and more efficiently. We have a problem with our defence defending even though they may be comfortable going forward.

Coleman does a good job going forward, Stones is comfortable with the ball at his feet and looks barca material but how good are they at actual defending?

McCarthy in midfield can break play up and that's it. His passing is awful and he doesn't break his neck at making himself available to receive a pass. I could go through the whole teams weaknesses as I see them but those 3 could bring in a hell of a lot of money and be replaced a lot cheaper for the job in hand and the remainder of the money could be used for more forward thinking players to get us moving quicker and more efficiently. We have a problem with our defence defending even though they may be comfortable going forward.

If we are going to be more direct going forward, especially with 2 forwards, then a simple 'destroyer' to break up attacks is absolutely essential to compensate for fewer bodies in midfield. McCarthy will be essential to how we play.

Coleman gives us such a great outlet on the right and has a wicked cross.

If we are going to be more direct going forward, especially with 2 forwards, then a simple 'destroyer' to break up attacks is absolutely essential to compensate for fewer bodies in midfield. McCarthy will be essential to how we play.

Coleman gives us such a great outlet on the right and has a wicked cross.

I see what your saying but is Coleman really that good defensively. I would rather have a great defensive player first and foremost than a average one albeit a good attacker. Our defence is more acclaimed for its attacking prowess more than its average defensive play.

I see what your saying but is Coleman really that good defensively. I would rather have a great defensive player first and foremost than a average one albeit a good attacker. Our defence is more acclaimed for its attacking prowess more than its average defensive play.

I think it depends what style we want to play. Counter attacking, we'll need him (unless the majority of our attacks go through the centre). Possession based we'll need him

A lot of our style for Martinez has been overlapping full backs and wingers - the pace of Coleman and Mirallas/Deu on the right flank has been very helpful in countless games. At his best he is defensively sounds; as you said sometimes he goes lacking. I don't know who'd we bring in who would be comparable at short notice honestly. Barry is supposed to cover the full backs getting forward by sitting back betweent he two CBs.

My only concern is the our weakness in the air and from set pieces

Anyway TL;DR don't think we should sell Coleman

Barkley was my Man of the Match. I think we'll see the best of him this season. I just hope the boo boys don't get to him.

I think it depends what style we want to play. Counter attacking, we'll need him (unless the majority of our attacks go through the centre). Possession based we'll need him

A lot of our style for Martinez has been overlapping full backs and wingers - the pace of Coleman and Mirallas/Deu on the right flank has been very helpful in countless games. At his best he is defensively sounds; as you said sometimes he goes lacking. I don't know who'd we bring in who would be comparable at short notice honestly. Barry is supposed to cover the full backs getting forward by sitting back betweent he two CBs.

My only concern is the our weakness in the air and from set pieces

Anyway TL;DR don't think we should sell Coleman

Hitting that right flank set of runners is easier with a sparkling left foot like Baineses. No Baines for a couple of months it seems. What bit of pace we have is great because we can setup to counter but without proper distribution (sorry Howard you aint the big faced Dane) then its going to be seriously difficult to turn sides around when they push up.

Shaq is 5 foot 7 inches tall going by wiki which means really hes about 4 foot 11. finding him on the counter versus some monster is going to take Houdini skills.

My Observations:
1.)I 100% do NOT blame the tactics for this result, Watford is going to surprise alot of people this season(How can they fiel a team BTW(I only saw 2 english players in their 18)
2.) I believe cleverley is actual what we needed
3.)Stones is still just 20, that 2nd goal was just a great play from a wiley vet. Stones along with the rest of the team will get better as the season progresses
4.)Ross had a GREAT game, made his usual mistakes but more than made up for them.
5.)That was a great finish by Kone, he completely changed the game when he came on. His best performance in a blue shirt by far.
6.)We definitely need our guys to get healthy and 3+ more signings are needed for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back