Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Match Thread Everton v Watford. 8th Aug at 15.00.

Do you reckon we will win?

• Yes

Votes: 299 60.5%
  • No

Votes: 90 18.2%
  • Draw

Votes: 105 21.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Think i might watch the 2nd half again to pass time by,thought the 2nd goal by watford came from no were,as like probably people on here,i thought we might go on and win,but after that 1st we slowed down a little touch and started the passing

I'm sorry a draw at home to Watford is not acceptable. Definitely 2 points lost not 1 gained. You do realise we were playing at home don't you???
modus vivendi I guess mate. The way we fought back, didn't let our heads drop augurs well. Watford, like all newly promoted teams at the start of the season, are difficult opponents...whether we are at home or not. I am pleased with1 point and the style the team played (second half...first half was less impressive)

Get a grip, that was the same type of play we had to put up with all last season.Yes Watford were an unknown quantity, get this we were the home team they struck us twice to take the lead..
Very, very, lucky to come out of todays game with anything.. maybe its just me but

Get a grip, that was the same type of play we had to put up with all last season.Yes Watford were an unknown quantity, get this we were the home team they struck us twice to take the lead..
Very, very, lucky to come out of todays game with anything.. maybe its just me but

Why lucky?

Just back from the game. Probably all been said before but I'll say it again anyway.

First half was utter rubbish. We haven't learned anything from last season about how to play against lesser teams. We aimlessly pass around the area, not doing anything with it, lose the ball then get done on the break. Again and again. Our plan B was to chip it up to Rom and lose the ball that way instead. Not good.

Second half we came out and instantly looked better. We played Coleman in down the right a lot more, him and Kev linked up well and got good balls into the area. Unlucky on a few occasions not to score before Ross' goal. Kone did very well when he came on. Good spirit to keep going and get the second equaliser and just ran out of time to get a winner. Thought it was crying out to get Naisy on a bit earlier but maybe that was just me...

Couldn't believe how many people left after we went 2-1 down, thankfully those of use who stayed got right behind the team and it was good atmosphere at the end. Obviously we should have beaten Watford but considering how the match went a point isn't a disaster. COYB.

I thought before the game that the team selection was as good as it could be, and that it had more than enough quality and experience to beat Watford..

That first half was horrendous.

We were second to every ball and fully deserved to be a goal down. We couldn't string two passes together and Bobby described it perfectly by saying that we were in pre-season mode.

There were a lot of boos at half time and I was among them - some would say it's unfair for anyone to boo a team 45 minutes into a season but we were that bad and it genuinely made a difference IMO.

In the second half we were much more positive and were unlucky not to score 4 or more, and this improvement mainly came in when Kone came on as two things happened:

• Barkley dropped deeper so that we had someone in midfield who passed forward and tried to play football (McCarthy, Cleverley and Barry had shockers - as did Barkley up to this point)
  • We had someone who could link up play and show movement - Kone changed the game with this and brought both Barkley and Lukaku into the match.
I honestly think we would have gone on to win if Lukaku wasn't subbed off but I imagine this was down to his fitness.

Hopefully Bobby learns from this for next weekend and gives Ross a game in CM and Kone a start with Lukaku as he's 100% earned it.

Defensively Coleman, Jags and Stones were all terrible and at fault for the goals (both of which were more our doing than Watford's). It's easy to blame Howard for the second goal as he could have done better but it shouldn't have even got as far as the shot.

Galloway had a good game but isn't a full back so struggled going forward especially with the lack of support he had while he was on the pitch, but again showed that at CB he has stacks of potential.

Mirallas didn't really impact the game much at all which was disappointing when compared to his glimpses of quality in pre-season.

All in all it's a shame we didn't get the three points as, bar one defensive mistake in the second half, we deserved them off the back of the chances we created in the last 45. It was never going to be an easy game and the performance next week needs to be something special to get our season going.

Two brilliant goals from Barkley and Kone and a lot of positives despite the negatives of the first half, however the essential thing is that we bring in a CB and Shaqiri this week.

I thought the football for the first 50 minutes was as bad if not worse than last season. pass the ball back or sideways rather than try to beat and get behind players , predictable and slow passing allowing Watford to constantly get players back , easy to play against (stick a bus in defence , wait for a bad pass and then hit on the counter). this is managers tactics and poor coaching. they have to realise that everton will not put up with such dross forever and its continuing on from last season. they are really treading on thin ice if they continue with this crap brand and style.

I thought we were weak and wimpy and outmuscled in almost every position.

lukaku ! poor touch , no strength , lethargic , no pride or power. 28 million ? on that performance I wouldn't pay£2.80. he should watch that game back and have a word with himself. his worst game for us imo

the crossing in the last 30 minutes was what we were crying out for all last season , some lovely balls going in , but an absent strike force in the box.

stones looked miserable tbh

cleverley kone and coleman were the only 3 players showing any energy and grit. seriously well done kone , he turned us around.

cant complain about mirallas not spectacular , but not bad

great goal by barkley and a decent last 30 minutes , before that though he was woeful.

McCarthy and barry look like they are playing for a pay cheque rather than the honour of everton

howards distribution was shocking , as was jags long balls.

Galloway did very well.

4/10 first 50 ..... 6/10 last 40

What does my head in is McArthy,Barry and now Cleverly.. stroke a pass ..(mostly square) and stand there admiring it ..what the [Poor language removed] run into space somewhere and if possible take a return pass from it.. and devolop the move ..

A bloke actually asked "are those the rest rooms down there next to the concessions ?"

no prizes for guessing where he was over from.

fam enc lavs one of the last places on earth you'd wanna rest as well btw.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back