Match Thread Everton v Wolverhampton Wanderers - Preview, Match Report & MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
not looking hopeful in this article either...

Cunha could expose slow centre-backs​

Burnley manager Sean Dyche

Everton are in a perilous position. They have never lost their first three games of the season without scoring a goal, yet that looks like a realistic prospect ahead of a crucial six-pointer.
Their goalscoring issues are well-documented and considering that Sean Dyche’s Burnley rarely scoring goals with two strikers up front it is highly unlikely his 4-5-1 will suddenly come good at Everton. They have scored seven goals in ten league matches at Goodison Park since he took charge.
Everton heatmaps

Worryingly, things are just as bad at the back. Everton have one of the slowest centre-back partnerships in the division and, without Conor Coady, they frankly look too error-prone and flat-footed to cope with the speed of the top flight.
Aston Villa easily tore through them last weekend and Wolves, using the same dribble-focused counter-attacks we saw at Old Trafford, should be able to burst clear of Michael Keane and James Tarkowski.
Dyche can expect a positive response to the abysmal performance at Villa Park but there is a clear risk Everton will, again, fail to apply pressure to the ball or compress space between the lines. If that happens, Matheus Cunha – who completed five take-ons at United – will find the space he needs to carry Wolves directly into the final third.
Cunha graphic

Both clubs are in poor form and both struggle to score goals.
But whereas Everton are passive, Wolves have a driving vertical energy. That should make the difference.
Christ, that's a depressing read. But I suppose you can't fault the writer.

At this point, you'd have to be exhibiting kopite levels of delusion to be able to write anything positive about Everton.

Gone a bit rogue and decided against Garner on the wing. Doesn't work. Better to shoehorn Dobbin on the right to cut in on his left. Bring Myko back in too and push Young further forward. Garner to play in the 10 behind Danjuma. Branthwaite for me at CB but will probably be Godfrey. Either way it cannot be Keane. Think we'll score at the very least today. Any other positive is a bonus. If you can't win it, don't lose it. UTFT.

1693049726905.png

It's about time that the team gave the supporters a lift - we've backed them through two atrocious seasons but I have to say I just can't see them winning a game at the moment. Sorry to be so pessimistic but I think we'll get stuffed again today.

Please prove me wrong Blues

Time to put some young fellas on and get Goodison behind em should've been the message from Dyche.
Put Gana at RCM to sweep up the looseness/tightness from Dobbin, Patterson and Braithwaite.
Garner in the centre
And either Doucs or Onana LCM.
Tarks and Young anchoring the left with Danjuma ahead.
Give Cannon a start with Maupay to come on if rattling.
Until Seamus, Iwobi, Harrison and McNeil come in, it's the manner in which you roll the dice, not if.
UTFT!

Gone a bit rogue and decided against Garner on the wing. Doesn't work. Better to shoehorn Dobbin on the right to cut in on his left. Bring Myko back in too and push Young further forward. Garner to play in the 10 behind Danjuma. Branthwaite for me at CB but will probably be Godfrey. Either way it cannot be Keane. Think we'll score at the very least today. Any other positive is a bonus. If you can't win it, don't lose it. UTFT.

View attachment 224551

I’d have gone for the same… thought about maybe putting Maupay in and shift around danjuma/young and drop Myko… but that was too rage inducing

Any win will do. A loss here is a disaster. Couldn’t care less how early in the season it is. Looking at the fixtures before the season Fulham and Wolves at home are 2 fixtures you would target 3 points from and I think both teams will struggle this season.

View attachment 224551

My god, that team is slow a feck.

Bill Kenwright FC are definitely getting relegated this season. Maybe it’s best if we just lose our first 15 games so everyone can make peace with it sooner rather than later. No false hope this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back